Force on point charge caused by another point charge.

In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a plane equidistant from two equal point charges and using Maxwell's stress tensor to determine the force between the charges. There is confusion about the origin of the components of the electrical field strength equation E=1/4pi...cos(θ)r, which is derived from the standard equation for electrical field strength from a point charge, and the geometry of the problem. The net field is found to be perpendicular to the plane.
woprxcpe1704tks

Homework Statement

Consider two equal point charges q, separated by a distance 2a. Construct the plane equidistant from the two charges. By integrating Maxwell’s stress tensor over this plane, determine the force of one charge on the other.

I have the full solution, but I'm confused on one part. Where does the E=1/4pi...cos(θ)r come from? And by that I mean where does each component come from? I know about the 1/4piε0, but I don't understand the rest.

Full Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
woprxcpe1704tks said:
Where does the E=1/4pi...cos(θ)r come from?
Apart from the cosine, it is the standard electrical field strength from a point charge. The cosine then evaluates the component perpendicular to the plane.
woprxcpe1704tks said:
And by that I mean where does each component come from?
That follows from geometry.

There's a bit of confusion with the diagram which shows opposite signs for the charges, yet the vectors showing the individual fields are for two positive charges. The problem statement and the solution are for charges of the same sign.

Will the net field be parallel to the xy plane or perpendicular to the plane?

1. What is the formula for calculating the force on a point charge caused by another point charge?

The formula for calculating the force on a point charge caused by another point charge is F = (k * q1 * q2) / r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant (9 * 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges in Coulombs, and r is the distance between the two charges in meters.

2. How does the distance between two point charges affect the force between them?

The force between two point charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the two charges increases, the force between them decreases.

3. Can the force between two point charges be repulsive?

Yes, the force between two point charges can be either attractive or repulsive. If the two charges have the same sign (both positive or both negative), the force between them will be repulsive. If they have opposite signs, the force between them will be attractive.

4. How does the magnitude of the charges affect the force between them?

The force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their magnitudes. This means that as the magnitudes of the charges increase, the force between them also increases.

5. What is the unit of force in the formula for calculating the force between two point charges?

The unit of force in the formula is Newtons (N). This is the standard unit of force in the International System of Units (SI).