Force/P. energy functions for weak, strong interactions

In summary, you need to provide a reference for where you are getting your information from in order to ask valid questions on this forum.
SothSogi
Hi everyone.

So I was studying and they say there is a force function (and a potential energy, I suppose) for every fundamental interaction. So, they always show the gravitational and electromagnetic force/potential energy functions for these, and they always mention the other two (plus the fact that there is an electroweak interaction already).

So, straight to the point, what are the equations for the force/potential energy functions for the strong, weak, and electroweak interactions? I cannot find them anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
SothSogi said:
they say
Who are "they"? Please provide appropriate references.

I know they are going to close this topic for what I am going to say, but, Orodruin, you have got to be kidding me if you do not answer the question but rather want me to be specific. Anyway, by they I mean the authors of the books, Kleppner, Dourmashkin, Young and Freedman, Thomas Moore, was that neccesary. honestly, to answer my question?

Asking people to be specific in providing references is an important part of PF. It is always acceptable for someone to ask for references and such questions should always be honored. (And without anger)

References are used for several purposes. One is to avoid misunderstandings. Another is to see if the poster is learning from a bad source. A third is to see if a poster is misunderstanding a good source. A fourth is to establish that the topic is indeed a valid topic for PF.

Another reason is to help orient the helpers. Many respondents may know the answer, but need to understand the question. Your question is about a description you read in a book by those authors, so identifying the reference allows them to understand the context of the question.

So again, instead of a list of authors, please actually provide a reference for exactly what is causing trouble for you. E.g. where they do what you want for EM, but leave off the strong and weak forces.

Last edited:
Likes Orodruin
SothSogi said:
I know they are going to close this topic for what I am going to say, but, Orodruin, you have got to be kidding me if you do not answer the question but rather want me to be specific. Anyway, by they I mean the authors of the books, Kleppner, Dourmashkin, Young and Freedman, Thomas Moore, was that neccesary. honestly, to answer my question?
If you do not give a specific reference for where you are taking your statements from, that is on you. If you want to get any answers regarding what you read, then you need to provide the proper references in order for us to have any possibility to find out what information you have been reading so far and gauge your understanding of it. This is particularly true when you are dealing with something that is not 100% true and additionally it is required by the forum guidelines. Strong and weak interactions are non-Abelian gauge theories and they do not work out in the same simple fashion as electromagnetism and gravity in the classical limit. On top of that, as Dale said, you have still not complied with forum rules by providing the specific reference.

1. What are weak and strong interactions?

Weak and strong interactions are two of the four fundamental forces in nature, along with gravity and electromagnetism. Weak interactions are responsible for radioactive decay and play a role in nuclear reactions. Strong interactions are responsible for holding the nucleus of an atom together.

2. What is the role of force in weak and strong interactions?

In both weak and strong interactions, force is responsible for the interactions between particles. In weak interactions, the force is responsible for the decay of particles, while in strong interactions, it is responsible for binding particles together in the nucleus.

3. How do force and energy relate in weak and strong interactions?

In both weak and strong interactions, force and energy are closely related. Force is the mechanism by which energy is transferred between particles, and energy is needed to cause a change in the state of a particle.

4. How are force and energy calculated in weak and strong interactions?

Force and energy in weak and strong interactions are calculated using mathematical models such as the Standard Model in particle physics. These models use mathematical equations to describe the interactions between particles and the forces that govern them.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding force and energy in weak and strong interactions?

Understanding force and energy in weak and strong interactions is crucial in fields such as nuclear energy, particle physics, and astrophysics. It helps us understand the behavior of particles and the fundamental forces that govern our universe. It also has practical applications in fields such as medicine, where radioactive decay and nuclear reactions are used in diagnostics and treatments.