Why is the weak force a force?

In summary: In particle physics, we usually call this "interaction" instead of "force" because interaction sounds more general, but it's just a name either way. Weak force is just an interaction, not a force. It's just a bit weaker than the other three forces in the standard model, but it does have a noticeable effect in some cases.
LuisBabboni
Hi!

I could understand gravitational force as a force that move mass.
I could understand electromagnetic force as a force that moves chaerged particles.
I even could understand strong force as a force that atrack protons
I could not understand the moment of what weak force changes.

The moment of protons turns into neutros or viceverse in Beta decay?

Or weak force is just an interaction but not a force?
But therer is a magnitud comparision between weak and other forces, so I think is a force.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
LuisBabboni said:
Why is the weak force a force?

I think is a force.
Well, you're right. It's a force. That's why it's called a force.

In particle physics we usually say "interaction" instead of "force" because interaction sounds more general, but it's just a name either way.

You do get forces from the weak interaction, e.g. mediated by the Z boson. They are just too weak to be relevant in most cases. Some neutrino detectors use them.

Classically, a force causes an acceleration. For that you need a path x(t) for the particle. In QM we don't have such a path, unless you're a Bohmian. So instead of "forces" we tend to speak of "interactions".

Classically, a force usually doesn't change the identity of a particle. But the weak interaction/force does (usually).

mfb said:
In particle physics we usually say "interaction" instead of "force" because interaction sounds more general, but it's just a name either way.

You do get forces from the weak interaction, e.g. mediated by the Z boson. They are just too weak to be relevant in most cases. Some neutrino detectors use them.
Yes, and that's very wise. I think "force" is a pretty problematic notion when it comes to relativity and relativistic QFT. Of course, for neutrinos you don't have any other chance then to use some weak-interaction process to protect them, because neutrinos as neutral leptons only interact via the weak interaction (and of course gravity, but you can entirely forget about it).

Thanks guys!

LuisBabboni said:
I could not understand the moment of what weak force changes.

Historically speaking, the weak force was the force that turned the neutron into proton, electron and something missing...

Likes ORF and vanhees71

1. Why is the weak force considered a force?

The weak force is considered a force because it is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, electromagnetism, and strong nuclear force. It is responsible for certain types of radioactive decay and plays a crucial role in the structure of matter.

2. What is the role of the weak force in the universe?

The weak force is responsible for the decay of subatomic particles, which helps to maintain balance and stability in the universe. It also plays a crucial role in the formation of elements in stars and the energy production in the sun.

3. How does the weak force differ from other forces?

The weak force is unique compared to other forces because it only acts over very short distances, about 10^-17 meters. It is also the only force that can change one type of particle into another, such as transforming a neutron into a proton.

4. What is the source of the weak force?

The source of the weak force is the exchange of particles called W and Z bosons. These particles are responsible for carrying the weak force between particles and causing them to interact with each other.

5. How does the weak force contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The weak force, along with the other fundamental forces, helps us to understand the fundamental laws and interactions that govern the universe. It also plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of stars, galaxies, and the universe as a whole.