Force Required to be a minimum

In summary, Homework Equations state that:-Fx=200+cos(67.38)260+cos(59)-Fy=-sin(67.38)260+sin(59)To find the magnitude, F1x,y must be solved for. F1x=-384.06 and F1y=279.99. The resultant force acting on the bracket is required to be a minimum, and is found to be 479.335N.
Emilio

Homework Statement

If the resultant force acting on the bracket is required to be a minimum, determine the magnitude of F1. Set Φ=31°
XllYL1D.png

Homework Equations

Fx=F(cos(θ))
Fy=F(sin(θ))

The Attempt at a Solution

First I tried to find ∑Fx and ∑Fy
ΣFx=0=200+cos(67.38)260+cos(59)F1x
ΣFy=0=sin(67.38)260+sin(59)F1y

Solving for F1, I got
x=-384.06
y=279.99

And then to find the magnitude, I found the root of the sum of their squares

√(-384.06² + 279.99²)=479.335N

which was wrong.

A few things: I know the x-component can't be negative, it makes no sense, but I don't know what to change to make it positive. I also don't know what is implied by "required to be a minimum."

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Emilio said:
Set ϕ = 31
Something important missing here?

NascentOxygen said:
Something important missing here?
I'm not sure what you mean, am I missing a step or did I leave something out? All it says in the prompt is "Set ϕ = 31° ."

Emilio said:
I'm not sure what you mean, am I missing a step or did I leave something out? All it says in the prompt is "Set ϕ = 31° ."
There's a degree symbol? Typesetting sometimes misses symbols. Do you think it says set F1's angle to be 31°?

NascentOxygen said:
There's a degree symbol? So what did you set to be 31°?
Oh sorry, I see a degree symbol in my original post, not sure why it doesn't show up.

nAUgaKZ.png

I did set ϕ = to 31°, but I used 59° in my equations just because it was a little easier to visualize for me. I didn't think it would make a difference because sin(31)=cos(59).

The phi isn't showing up on my screen, it's just a blank space.

NascentOxygen said:
The phi isn't showing up on my screen, it's just a blank space.
Oh that's odd, I even see the phi in your quoted text. I rewrote it using the editor instead of copy-pasting symbols, so hopefully it looks a little more accurate.

Your mistake is in equating the sum of the components to zero. That would certainly be ideal, but with the angle fixed all you can aim for is a minimum, not zero.

What does it mean to find a minimum? A minimum force that would keep it in equilibrium? The smallest possible resultant force?

Emilio said:
What does it mean to find a minimum? A minimum force that would keep it in equilibrium? The smallest possible resultant force?
The resultant sum of those 3 external forces is to be its smallest possible value.

NascentOxygen said:
The resultant sum of those 3 external forces is to be its smallest possible value.
So instead of ∑Fx,y being equal to 0, they should equal the smallest possible value?

Wouldn't that be Fx=0 and Fy=0?

Emilio said:
So instead of ∑Fx,y being equal to 0, they should equal the smallest possible value?

Wouldn't that be Fx=0 and Fy=0?
The character set you are using seems problematical. I saw Fy= -∞ in your post, which seemed a puzzling value; yet when I quote that to respond, that -∞ has transformed into a 0. You should be using the characters that appear when you tap ##\Sigma## in the forum editor toolbar, or else use Latex.

You can't make the resultant horizontal force equal to zero, as all forces have a component to the right---there is not going to be any cancelling in the x-direction.

I had typed -∞ at first, but after considering it, I realized it didn't make sense so I changed it to 0.

So I can't set Fx=0, but I want to get this value as small as possible. Do I set up a limit as Fx approaches 0?

Emilio said:
I had typed -∞ at first, but after considering it, I realized it didn't make sense so I changed it to 0.
Just my caching problem, then.
So I can't set Fx=0, but I want to get this value as small as possible. Do I set up a limit as Fx approaches 0?
Probably not.

You had the right idea back in your opening post:
to find the magnitude, I found the root of the sum of their squares

So go back to your first post, and improve on that. If force up is +, then downwards will be -
200+cos(67.38)260+cos(59)F1x
That won't be F1x, it's just F1 because the cos converts it to the horizontal component.

1. What is the definition of "Force Required to be a minimum"?

The force required to be a minimum is the amount of force needed to maintain the minimum level of motion or stability in a system. In other words, it is the force necessary to keep an object in a state of equilibrium.

2. How is the force required to be a minimum calculated?

The force required to be a minimum is calculated using the principle of least action. This involves determining the path of least resistance for the system and then calculating the force needed to maintain that path.

3. What factors affect the force required to be a minimum?

The force required to be a minimum is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the speed and direction of motion, and any external forces acting on the system. The geometry and material properties of the system also play a role.

4. Can the force required to be a minimum be negative?

No, the force required to be a minimum cannot be negative. It represents the minimum amount of force needed to maintain equilibrium in a system, so it is always a positive value.

5. How does the force required to be a minimum relate to Newton's laws of motion?

The force required to be a minimum is closely related to Newton's first law of motion, which states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will continue in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The force required to be a minimum is the force needed to maintain the state of motion described in this law.