Two Dimensional Loading - Determining Dimensional Chanage

• Thread starter Scott Metcalfe
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a lateral force of 50kN due to wind loading on a base plate of dimensions 300 x 300 x 15mm. With a Poisson's ratio of 0.34 and a Young's Modulus of 2 x 10^11 N/m^2 for steel, the change in the base plate dimensions can be determined using direct stress and strain equations. The calculated dimensional changes are 6.66 x 10^-7 for the x-direction and 7.47 x 10^-7 for the y-direction. A figure would be helpful in understanding the problem more clearly.
Scott Metcalfe
Hi all,

I have hit what seems to be a mental mind / stumbling block on the question below. I am looking for some guidance wherever possible.

Homework Statement

c) The column exerts a lateral force on the base plate of 50kN due to wind loading. If Poisson's ratio = 0.34 determine the change in the base plate dimensions under this two dimensional loading. Assume a value of Young's Modulus of E = 2 x 1011 N/m2 for steel.Info relating to the question -
Base plate = 300 x 300 x 15mm
Force in the X direction = 300kN
Force in the Y Direction = 50kN
E = 2 x 10^11
V = 0.34

Here is my attempt at a solution -

Direct Stress

σX = F/A
(300 x 10^3) / (0.3 x 0.3) = 3.33 x 10^6

σY = F/A
(50 x 10^3) / (0.3 x 0.015) = 1.11 x 10^7

Direct Strain

X = (1/E)(σx -Vσy)

(1 / (2 x 10^11))(3.33x10^6 -0.34(1.11x10^7)) = 2.22 x 10^-6

Y = (1/E)(σy -Vσx)
(1 / (2 x 10^11))(1.11x10^7 -0.34(3.33x10^6)) = 4.98 x 10^-5

I am pretty confident with the above, its the dimensional changes i am not so... here's my attempt -

Dimension Change

ΔL = Direct Strain(x) x X
(2.22 x 10^-6) x 0.3 = 6.66 x 10^-7

ΔL = Direct Strain(y) x Y

(4.98 x 10^-5) x 0.015 = 7.47 x 10^-7

Thanks in advance to your help and responses.

Scott

Physics news on Phys.org
You really need a figure to make your problem clear.

Related to Two Dimensional Loading - Determining Dimensional Chanage

1. What is two dimensional loading?

Two dimensional loading is the process of applying a force or load in two directions, typically represented by two perpendicular axes. This can be seen in structures such as buildings, bridges, and machines, where forces are applied both vertically and horizontally.

2. What is dimensional change?

Dimensional change refers to the change in size or shape of an object due to an applied force or load. This can occur in both one and two dimensions, and can be measured using various methods such as strain gauges or displacement sensors.

3. How is dimensional change determined?

Dimensional change is determined by measuring the change in size or shape of an object before and after an applied force or load. This can be done using instruments such as strain gauges, displacement sensors, or laser scanners. The amount of change can then be calculated based on the initial and final measurements.

4. What factors can affect dimensional change?

There are several factors that can affect dimensional change, including the material properties of the object, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, and the temperature and humidity of the environment. Other factors such as design and manufacturing processes can also play a role in determining dimensional change.

5. Why is it important to consider dimensional change in structures and machines?

Dimensional change is important to consider in structures and machines because it can affect their stability, functionality, and durability. Excessive dimensional change can lead to structural failure, malfunction, or reduced lifespan of the object. By understanding and accounting for dimensional change, engineers and scientists can ensure the safety and reliability of structures and machines.