Force Required to Stretch a Rubber Band to a Certain Diameter

In summary: So it's a linear strain.It's latex tubing, and the strain is the increase in length. Say the tubing is 1 meter long, then 50% strain is stretching the tubing so that total length becomes 1.5 meters long, 100% 2 meters long, ...,... 350% is 5 meters long. So it's a linear strain.
rdijulio
Summary: Looking of someone to double check my work on this design issue.

I am posting this here because I am no longer a student, but it is similar to a simple homework problem

Problem: I am designing a rubber-band like product for a client. He wants to take a durable rubber band and stretch it over a circle that is 9.875" diameter and 1.75" wide. He wants it to be easily installed and removed, enough for a child or elderly person of 70 years. So I estimated 10 lbs of force would be ideal. The question I am trying to solve is: (At what un-stretched diameter is 10 lbs of force required to stretch this band to 9.875")

Relevant Equations: F =( [Ln-Lo]/Lo) * E * A

A=Cross Sectional Area (The band is not a rectangle)
E=Elastic Modulus
Ln=Length New (9.875"*π - 31.023" or .78798m)
Lo=Variable
F=Force (10lbs or 44.5N)

This is just Hooke's law, and I know that elastic bands don't behave under hooke's law at a certain point, but this was the best approximation I could find. Solving for Lo gives you:

Lo=Ln/(1 + (F / (E*A) ) )

The material I chose to calculate is Silicone 60A Durometer. I pulled the elastic modulus from this graph:

Which gives me an E=3.6e6 pa.

The next step was to calculate the cross sectional area: Here is the drawing with the equations and variables:

Plugging in gives 1.2834in2 or 8.28e-4m2

Now we have all our values:
Lo = .78798 / (1 + 44.5 / (3.6e6*8.28e-4) ) = .77638

D = .77638/pi = .2471m or 9.72inchesJust looking for someone to check my work. Provide possibly any more feedback, or an alternative way to calculate what I need. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For latex rubber (used with fishing line to launch radio control gliders), an archived plot of the stress/strain curve looks like:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070808211048/http://www.hollyday.com/rich/hd/sailplanes/rubberdata.htm
This matches the data i got from my own measurements:

Code:
   strain versus tension / initial unit cross sectional area: (strain == pull distance)

0% =   0 lb / in^2
    50% =  70 lb / in^2
   100% =  95 lb / in^2
   150% = 115 lb / in^2
   200% = 135 lb / in^2
   250% = 160 lb / in^2
   300% = 175 lb / in^2
   350% = 195 lb / in^2
   400% = 205 lb / in^2  (not recommended).

Last edited:
rcgldr said:
For latex rubber (used with fishing line to launch radio control gliders), an archived plot of the stress/strain curve looks like:

https://web.archive.org/web/20070808211048/http://www.hollyday.com/rich/hd/sailplanes/rubberdata.htm

Code:
   strain versus tension: (strain == pull distance)

0% =   0 lb / in^2
    50% =  70 lb / in^2
   100% =  95 lb / in^2
   150% = 115 lb / in^2
   200% = 135 lb / in^2
   250% = 160 lb / in^2
   300% = 175 lb / in^2
   350% = 195 lb / in^2

Good to know. Latex is an option we had been considering so this is helpful.

rcgldr said:

Code:
   strain versus tension: (strain == pull distance)

0% =   0 lb / in^2
    50% =  70 lb / in^2
   100% =  95 lb / in^2
   150% = 115 lb / in^2
   200% = 135 lb / in^2
   250% = 160 lb / in^2
   300% = 175 lb / in^2
   350% = 195 lb / in^2
I assume those stresses are per initial cross sectional area (i.e., engineering stress), correct?

Chestermiller said:
I assume those stresses are per initial cross sectional area (i.e., engineering stress), correct?
It's latex tubing, and the strain is the increase in length. Say the tubing is 1 meter long, then 50% strain is stretching the tubing so that total length becomes 1.5 meters long, 100% 2 meters long, ..., 300% 4 meters long. For a rubber band, the length would be the circumference.

For 10 lbs of tension at 300% strain, the cross sectional area would be (10/175) ~= 0.057 in^2.

rcgldr said:
It's latex tubing, and the strain is the increase in length. Say the tubing is 1 meter long, then 50% strain is stretching the tubing so that total length becomes 1.5 meters long, 100% 2 meters long, ..., 300% 4 meters long. For a rubber band, the length would be the circumference.

For 10 lbs of tension at 300% strain, the cross sectional area would be (10/175) ~= 0.057 in^2.
So those stresses would be the "true stresses", not the "engineering stresses."

Chestermiller said:
So those stresses would be the "true stresses", not the "engineering stresses."

Chestermiller said:

Correct, the cross sectional area is the initial (zero tension) cross sectional area.

I missed the earlier post. I updated my original post to clarify this.

No attempt was made to measure the hysteresis. Each measurement was done after a stretch. A table of tensions versus return path from various stretches was not made.

Last edited:

1. How does the force required to stretch a rubber band change as the diameter increases?

The force required to stretch a rubber band to a certain diameter increases as the diameter increases. This is because the rubber band is being stretched over a larger distance, causing the molecules in the rubber to be pulled further apart and requiring more force to maintain the stretched length.

2. What factors affect the force required to stretch a rubber band?

The force required to stretch a rubber band is affected by several factors, including the thickness and material of the rubber band, the initial length of the rubber band, and the amount of stretch applied.

3. Is there a limit to how much a rubber band can be stretched?

Yes, there is a limit to how much a rubber band can be stretched. This limit is known as the elastic limit, and once this limit is reached, the rubber band will no longer return to its original length when the force is released.

4. How does temperature affect the force required to stretch a rubber band?

Temperature can affect the force required to stretch a rubber band. As the temperature increases, the rubber band becomes more pliable and easier to stretch, requiring less force. Conversely, at lower temperatures, the rubber band becomes stiffer and requires more force to stretch to a certain diameter.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the force required to stretch a rubber band?

Understanding the force required to stretch a rubber band can be useful in various applications, such as designing and testing elastic materials, creating tension-based mechanisms, and determining the strength and durability of rubber products. It can also be applied in fields such as engineering, material science, and product development.