Restoring force on a ball connected to two rubber bands

In summary: I see. So we take the trigonometric form of mg which in this case is 2Tsin(x) and then solve it for F.Yes, that's correct.
EnricoHendro
Homework Statement
A ball of mass m is connected to two rubber bands, each of length L, each under tension T. The ball is displaced by a small distance y perpendicular to the length of the rubber bands. Assuming the tension does not change, show that the restoring force is -(2T/L)y
Relevant Equations
F=-(2T/L)y
Hello there, I am wondering, in this solution, I guessed that the restoring force is given by that equation in the problem because the vertical component of the force acting on the ball is -2Tsin(x). since sin(x) = y/L with L being the hypotenuse part of the triangle formed by displacing the ball vertically upward. as shown in the figure. I get that intuitively, the restoring force involves only the tension of the rubber band, but why don't we also consider the force of gravity? isn't gravity also somehow act on the system? Or we just ignore it because the gravity is countered by the upward tension of the rubber band?

1860271_dd71f5713acc4bb9b2e904ce6ddf36aa.png

Physics news on Phys.org
EnricoHendro said:
why don't we also consider the force of gravity?
The question as stated does not indicate whether the diagram is a plan view or an elevation.
Even if it is an elevation, we can modify it slightly by taking the strings as angling down to the mass at equilibrium, then just considering perturbations from that position. If the angle at equilibrium is α then I think the net restoring force becomes ##2T\frac yL\cos(\alpha)##, i.e. what matters is the horizontal component of the tension.

Last edited:
Likes EnricoHendro
haruspex said:
The question as stated does not indicate whether the diagram is a plan view or an elevation.
Even if it is an elevation, we can modify it slightly by taking the strings as angling down to the mass at equilibrium, then just considering perturbations from that position. If the angle at equilibrium is α then I think the net restoring force becomes ##2T\frac yL\cos(\alpha)##, i.e. what matters is the horizontal component of the tension.
I see. I still don't quite understand the part "by taking the strings as angling down to the mass at equilibrium, then just considering perturbations from that position".

EnricoHendro said:
I see. I still don't quite understand the part "by taking the strings as angling down to the mass at equilibrium, then just considering perturbations from that position".
In that case the oscillation would take place about the equilibrium point where the mass naturally hangs.

I'd assume from the diagram that we have a horizontal oscillation in this case.

PeroK said:
In that case the oscillation would take place about the equilibrium point where the mass naturally hangs.

I'd assume from the diagram that we have a horizontal oscillation in this case.
oh, I see, so basically, (ignoring our assumption that this particular problem has a horizontal oscillation) because the oscillation would take place about the equilibrium point where the mass naturally hangs (in which the gravitational force is canceled by the balancing force that makes the system in equilibrium), then we can ignore the gravity. Am I getting this right? Because I noticed that the other similar problems which the acceleration is given by force of gravity plus or minus some proportionality constant times distance, the force of gravity always gets ignored when we are trying to find the restoring force or just the angular frequency. (Just like this problem and two other similar problems but involving torques)

EnricoHendro said:
Suppose that at equilibrium the strings angle down at angle ##\alpha##. ##2T\sin(\alpha)=mg##.
If we pull the mass down so as to increase the angle by ##\theta##, T not changing much, the net upward force is ##F=2T\sin(\alpha+\theta)-mg= 2T(\sin(\alpha)\cos(\theta)+\cos(\alpha)\sin(\theta)-\sin(\alpha))##.
We can approximate ##\sin(\theta)## as ##\theta## and ##\cos(\theta)## as 1:
##F=2T(\sin(\alpha)+\cos(\alpha)\theta-\sin(\alpha))=2T\cos(\alpha)\theta##.

Likes EnricoHendro and PeroK
haruspex said:
Suppose that at equilibrium the strings angle down at angle ##\alpha##. ##2T\sin(\alpha)=mg##.
If we pull the mass down so as to increase the angle by ##\theta##, T not changing much, the net upward force is ##F=2T\sin(\alpha+\theta)-mg= 2T(\sin(\alpha)\cos(\theta)+\cos(\alpha)\sin(\theta)-\sin(\alpha))##.
We can approximate ##\sin(\theta))## as ##\theta## and ##\cos(\theta))## as 1:
##F=2T(\sin(\alpha)+\cos(\alpha)\theta-\sin(\alpha))=2T\cos(\alpha)\theta##.
Oh i see, so we take the trigonometric form of mg which in this case is 2Tsin(x) and then solve it for F. Am I getting this right?

EnricoHendro said:
Oh i see, so we take the trigonometric form of mg which in this case is 2Tsin(x) and then solve it for F. Am I getting this right?
Not entirely sure what you mean. Where x is what?
Did you understand all the steps in post #6?

haruspex said:
Not entirely sure what you mean. Where x is what?
Did you understand all the steps in post #6?
by x I mean the ##\alpha## .

EnricoHendro said:
by x I mean the ##\alpha## .
Ok, and what is "it" that we are solving for F?

haruspex said:
Ok, and what is "it" that we are solving for F?
I meant, solve for F using mg = 2Tsin##\alpha## so we'd get equation ##F=2T\sin(\alpha+\theta)-2Tsin##\alpha##

I got my wording all over the place, I apologise. I meant to say solve for F.

EnricoHendro said:
I meant, solve for F using mg = 2Tsin##\alpha## so we'd get equation ##F=2T\sin(\alpha+\theta)-2Tsin##\alpha##

I got my wording all over the place, I apologise. I meant to say solve for F.
Then, yes.

Likes EnricoHendro

1. What is a restoring force?

A restoring force is a force that acts on an object to bring it back to its original position after it has been displaced.

2. How do rubber bands create a restoring force on a ball?

Rubber bands create a restoring force on a ball by stretching when the ball is pulled away from its original position, and then pulling back on the ball when it is released, bringing it back to its original position.

3. What factors affect the strength of the restoring force on a ball connected to two rubber bands?

The strength of the restoring force on a ball connected to two rubber bands is affected by the elasticity of the rubber bands, the distance the ball is pulled away from its original position, and the mass of the ball.

4. How does the angle at which the rubber bands are attached to the ball affect the restoring force?

The angle at which the rubber bands are attached to the ball can affect the direction of the restoring force. For example, if the rubber bands are attached at a 90-degree angle, the restoring force will act in a straight line towards the original position of the ball.

5. Can the restoring force on a ball connected to two rubber bands be calculated?

Yes, the restoring force on a ball connected to two rubber bands can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object. The equation for Hooke's Law is F = -kx, where F is the restoring force, k is the spring constant of the rubber bands, and x is the displacement of the ball from its original position.