Forces acting on a block that is pushed against a wall

In summary, the conversation was about the importance of clear and effective communication in a team setting. The speakers discussed how communication can impact productivity and collaboration, and emphasized the need for active listening and open communication channels. They also mentioned the role of body language and nonverbal cues in effective communication. Overall, the conversation highlighted the significance of clear and intentional communication for successful teamwork.
MatinSAR
Homework Statement
What should be the magnitude of force F so that the object is definitely moving?(Frictional force is equal to 0.5 for each newton of vertical force on the surface.)
A)25 B)30 C)40 D)50
Relevant Equations
##F_{net} =ma##
##f_{s} =µ_sN##
##f_{k} =µ_kN##
Picture of problem:
1677619868908.png

For the object to be moving, it must overcome friction.

##f=0.5*0.6F = 0.3F##
##mg=22N##

Upward motion:
##0.8F>mg+f \rightarrow 0.5F>22 \rightarrow F>44N ##

Downward motion:
##0.8F+f<mg \rightarrow 1.1F<22 \rightarrow F<20N ##

I think correct option is D. Can you please guide me if I'm wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks good to me.

Likes MatinSAR
TSny said:
Your work looks good to me.
Thank you for your help.

Likes TSny

1. What is the force acting on the block when it is pushed against a wall?

When a block is pushed against a wall, the force acting on the block is called the normal force. This force is perpendicular to the surface of the wall and is equal in magnitude to the force applied to the block.

2. How does the normal force affect the block?

The normal force prevents the block from moving through the wall by exerting an equal and opposite force on the block. It also allows the block to remain in equilibrium and not accelerate in the direction of the applied force.

3. Is the normal force the only force acting on the block?

No, there are other forces acting on the block such as the force of gravity and the force of friction. However, in this scenario, the normal force is the only force that is directly opposing the applied force.

4. Does the magnitude of the applied force affect the normal force?

Yes, the normal force will always be equal in magnitude to the applied force. As the applied force increases, so does the normal force in order to maintain equilibrium and prevent the block from moving through the wall.

5. Can the normal force ever be greater than the applied force?

No, the normal force can never be greater than the applied force. The normal force is always equal in magnitude to the applied force, but in the opposite direction. If the applied force is too great, the block will overcome the normal force and accelerate through the wall.