Forces acting on a thrown object

• Thread starter Annabelle
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the question was asking for the force acting on the ball during its upward movement, and you correctly calculated this force to be 1.96 Newtons using the equation w=mg. However, if the ball were in a downward movement, the force acting on it would be different.
Annabelle

Homework Statement

A ball with a mass of 200 g is thrown vertically upwards with an initial velocity of 16.0 m/s. It is allowed to fall back to its original position. Ignore air resistance.
Calculate the force acting on the ball during its upward movement.

Homework Equations

w=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

It's a really basic question, but I can't wrap my head around how or what it means by calculating force.
The only thing I've been able to think of given the data I have is weight force, but I'm not sure if that's what the question is asking me to do?
w=m*g
w=0.200*9.8
w=1.96N
I'm so sorry for the dumb question!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Annabelle said:
w=m*g
w=0.200*9.8
w=1.96N
That is correct.

cnh1995 said:
Welcome to PF!That is correct.

Is it a correct answer to the question posed though? What if the ball is in a downward movement?
Thank you for your reply!

Annabelle said:
What if the ball is in a downward movement?
What do you think? Did you use the upward velocity in the calculation?

haruspex said:
What do you think? Did you use the upward velocity in the calculation?
No, but I'm confused as to whether I used the right equation to answer the original question.

Annabelle said:
No, but I'm confused as to whether I used the right equation to answer the original question.
Yes, you did use the right equation to answer the original question.

1. What is the definition of a force?

A force is a push or pull on an object that causes it to change its speed, direction, or shape.

2. What are the different types of forces that act on a thrown object?

The different types of forces that act on a thrown object include gravity, air resistance, and the force from the thrower's hand.

3. How does gravity affect a thrown object?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards the Earth. When a object is thrown, gravity causes it to accelerate towards the ground, which affects its trajectory and speed.

4. What is the role of air resistance in a thrown object?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that acts in the opposite direction of motion and slows down a thrown object. It is caused by the object pushing against the air molecules as it moves through the air.

5. How does the force from the thrower's hand affect a thrown object?

The force from the thrower's hand gives the object its initial speed and direction. It also affects the object's trajectory and how far it will travel.