Forces Grade 12 Physics Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the equation a = mgsinΘ - mgcosΘ(μk) to calculate the acceleration of two boxes on a plank with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.3. The equation is questioned for its validity and the confusion surrounding the cancellation of mass and gravity in the equation is addressed. It is suggested to consider the dimensions of the equation and the factors that affect gravity in order to understand why gravity does not cancel out in the equation.
David John

Homework Statement

At a construction site, a small crane is raising two boxes of nails on a plank to the roof. One box has already been opened and is half full, while the other box is new. The boxes, including the nails, weigh 10 kg and 20 kg, respectively, and are both the same size.

c) If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.3, how fast will the boxes accelerate along the plank, once they start to slide?

Homework Equations

a = mgsinΘ - mgcosΘ(μk)

The Attempt at a Solution

a = mgsinΘ - mgcosΘ(μk)
= g(sinΘ-cosΘ(μk))
= 9.8sin(21.8) - 0.3cos(21.8)
=0.91m/s^2

Note that in the previous part of the question, I found that the angle at which both boxes slide are at 21.8 degrees. I went on yahoo answers and saw 2 people solve this question using the equation above. I'm really confused as to how that equation was formed. In the previous part to this question, to find the angle at which the boxes slide, I used Fnetx = mgsinΘ - mgcosΘμs. The mass and gravity canceled out so I just solved for the angle that way. Not sure why that equation was used once again for this question. Is this the right formula and if so why?

Physics news on Phys.org
David John said:

Homework Statement

At a construction site, a small crane is raising two boxes of nails on a plank to the roof. One box has already been opened and is half full, while the other box is new. The boxes, including the nails, weigh 10 kg and 20 kg, respectively, and are both the same size.

c) If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.3, how fast will the boxes accelerate along the plank, once they start to slide?

Homework Equations

a = mgsinΘ - mgcosΘ(μk)

The Attempt at a Solution

a = mgsinΘ - mgcosΘ(μk)
= g(sinΘ-cosΘ(μk))
= 9.8sin(21.8) - 0.3cos(21.8)
=0.91m/s^2

Note that in the previous part of the question, I found that the angle at which both boxes slide are at 21.8 degrees. I went on yahoo answers and saw 2 people solve this question using the equation above. I'm really confused as to how that equation was formed. In the previous part to this question, to find the angle at which the boxes slide, I used Fnetx = mgsinΘ - mgcosΘμs. The mass and gravity canceled out so I just solved for the angle that way. Not sure why that equation was used once again for this question. Is this the right formula and if so why?

Something is wrong in what you write at 2. and 3.; do you notice that?

Let'sthink said:
Something is wrong in what you write at 2. and 3.; do you notice that?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean? I know for some reason mass cancels out if that's what you mean. However I'm confused why only mass is canceled out and why gravity isn't

David John said:
I'm not sure I understand what you mean? I know for some reason mass cancels out if that's what you mean. However I'm confused why only mass is canceled out and why gravity isn't
Equations that you have written - are they dimensionally correct?

I really don't know. I got that formula from yahoo answers. I really don't know if it's even the right formula to use

David John said:
I really don't know. I got that formula from yahoo answers. I really don't know if it's even the right formula to use

You can at least think what is wrong with these formula once you note that leave that wrong thread. Regarding your question why mass cancels is because mass that appears in Newton's law and Newton's gravitational law are same regarding why gravity does not cancel, I would say - what is on left hand side is not 'g' the property of gravity but a the observed acceleration. Just think for a while before starting asking question. Just try to think on what factors 'g' depend?

What is the definition of force?

Force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change direction.

What are the different types of forces?

The different types of forces include gravitational force, electromagnetic force, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force.

How do you calculate the net force?

The net force is calculated by adding together all the forces acting on an object. If the forces are in the same direction, you add them together. If they are in opposite directions, you subtract them.

What is Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What is Newton's second law of motion?

Newton's second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.