Determining the angle for a mass to overcome friction

In summary, the problem is to determine the angle at which two boxes will start to slide when placed on a plank that is tilted until one of the boxes begins to slide. The problem becomes more difficult when you have to account for the different forces at work and the rate of rotation of the plank.
Nojins

Homework Statement

A crane is moving two equally spaced masses to the roof. One box is 10kg and the other box is 20kg. As the plank tilts towards the 20kg box, at what angle will each box begin to slide? The coefficient of static friction is 0.4

Homework Equations

Newton's second law, Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Originally I thought I had correctly solved it, by simply setting Fnet=0 and solving for theta, however I didn't realize that the force of friction also depended on the angle, which I hadn't solved for. I ended up with this and I'm unsure of how to continue. Am I also correct in assuming both boxes will move at the same time?
Fnet=mgsinθ-Ff
0=10(9.8)sinθ-0.4(mgcosθ)
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nojins said:

Homework Statement

A crane is moving two equally spaced masses to the roof. One box is 10kg and the other box is 20kg. As the plank tilts towards the 20kg box, at what angle will each box begin to slide? The coefficient of static friction is 0.4

Homework Equations

Newton's second law, Fnet=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Originally I thought I had correctly solved it, by simply setting Fnet=0 and solving for theta, however I didn't realize that the force of friction also depended on the angle, which I hadn't solved for. I ended up with this and I'm unsure of how to continue. Am I also correct in assuming both boxes will move at the same time?
Fnet=mgsinθ-Ff
Thanks.
Let's start out with a clearer description of the problem. Is the idea that two boxes are placed on a plank and the plank is tilted until the boxes start to slide? I wonder whether the crane or the roof have anything to do with the problem?

Nojins said:
Am I also correct in assuming both boxes will move at the same time?
I'm unsure how hard the problem is supposed to be.
The rotation of the plank will be accelerating. This will affect the normal forces.
Also, the rate of rotation will affect the radial forces. The lower block should slip first.

haruspex said:
I'm unsure how hard the problem is supposed to be.
The rotation of the plank will be accelerating. This will affect the normal forces.
Also, the rate of rotation will affect the radial forces. The lower block should slip first.
Probably they are just describing a crane with a plank capable of tilting. And motion/rotation is not considered (not enough info is given to solve for these).
So basically it is just: you have a plank and you start to tilt it. What angle would a 10 kg mass slide, and then the same situation with a 20kg mass.

Nojins said:
Am I also correct in assuming both boxes will move at the same time?
Fnet=mgsinθ-Ff
Thanks.
Do not assume that they slide at the same time. They tell you that the masses are spaced. Calculate each angle separately (an angle for 10 and an angle for 20).
Can you rearrange this: 0=10(9.8)sinθ-0.4(mgcosθ) into something easier to find theta? Perhaps a single trigonometric function, rather than two functions?

Likes Nojins
Are the blocks side by side? One on top of the other? One at each end of the plank? Sounds like the latter to me.

scottdave said:
motion/rotation is not considered (not enough info is given to solve for these).
I agree that a simple treatment is probably intended, but there is likely enough information for the thorough approach. Just consider the plank as initially level. The only datum we do not have is the horizontal separation (x).
If we say that each slip angle (if the other has not slipped first) is a function of mass ratio, g, x, and friction coefficient then dimensional analysis rules out g and x.

CWatters said:
Are the blocks side by side? One on top of the other? One at each end of the plank? Sounds like the latter to me.
It did say they were spaced evenly. And the plank tilts toward the heavier one, so side by side sounds reasonable

haruspex said:
I agree that a simple treatment is probably intended, but there is likely enough information for the thorough approach. Just consider the plank as initially level. The only datum we do not have is the horizontal separation (x).
If we say that each slip angle (if the other has not slipped first) is a function of mass ratio, g, x, and friction coefficient then dimensional analysis rules out g and x.
Having gone through the approach of finding the angular velocity and acceleration as functions of θ, it turns out not that hard and the result is quite elegant. So now I believe this is the intended solution.

Likes scottdave
Hi @Nojins did you see any of this? Do you have questions? Did you ask your professor the intent of the problem?

1. What is the relationship between angle and friction?

The angle of an object's motion can affect the amount of friction it experiences. As the angle increases, the force of friction also increases, making it harder for the object to overcome friction and move.

2. How do you determine the angle for a mass to overcome friction?

The angle for a mass to overcome friction can be determined by using the formula tanθ = μ, where θ is the angle and μ is the coefficient of friction. This formula allows you to calculate the minimum angle needed for an object to overcome friction and move.

3. What factors can affect the angle for a mass to overcome friction?

The angle for a mass to overcome friction can be affected by the weight of the object, the surface it is moving on, and the coefficient of friction. Objects with greater weight or moving on rougher surfaces will require a larger angle to overcome friction.

4. How does the angle for a mass to overcome friction relate to the work required?

The angle for a mass to overcome friction is directly related to the amount of work required to move the object. As the angle increases, the work required also increases, as more force is needed to overcome the increased friction.

5. Can the angle for a mass to overcome friction be reduced?

Yes, the angle for a mass to overcome friction can be reduced by using lubricants or reducing the weight of the object. Lubricants can decrease the coefficient of friction, making it easier for the object to overcome friction. Reducing the weight of the object can also decrease the force of friction and therefore require a smaller angle to overcome it.