Forces on a clyinder in a steady fluid flow

In summary, the speaker has been tasked with finding the forces in a numerical fluid flow around a cylinder and is considering using a force vector at the top of the cylinder to show suction force. They plan to use an equation from a book and adjust it slightly to find the values of f_x and f_y. They are also considering using a numerical integration method for more accurate results.
johnt447
For my project been given the task of finding the fluid flow round a cylinder. My task for the weekend is to find the forces in work here. All of our work is numerical so no analytical solutions will really help although they might help push me in the right direction. As such we have the velocity and pressure of the system but I'm a bit stuck on how to find the forces. I was thinking of finding the force vector at the top of the cylinder where the pressure is lower to show the suction force in action there. It's a steady inviscid and non compressible flow.
(no idea how to use the equations on this site sorry)
From one of my books i saw that f_x = integral of 2pi to 0 (pressure cos (theta) * radius d theta)

now that works for analytical so my plan is to slightly change that to;

f_x= pressure * cos (theta)* radius. Where I will go through all the values of pressure and the corresponding theta to find the values of f_x and also change the equation slightly for f_y.

Any idea if this will work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, this should work! You may want to consider using a numerical integration method to find the forces more accurately if you have access to a numerical integration library. This would involve taking the sum of all the pressure cos (theta) * radius values over a range of theta values, and then dividing by the total number of values that were summed.

Related to Forces on a clyinder in a steady fluid flow

1. What is the definition of a steady fluid flow?

A steady fluid flow is a type of fluid motion where the velocity and direction of the fluid particles do not change over time. This means that the flow is uniform and there is no acceleration or deceleration of the fluid.

2. How do forces act on a cylinder in a steady fluid flow?

There are three primary forces that act on a cylinder in a steady fluid flow: lift, drag, and inertia. Lift is the force perpendicular to the direction of flow, drag is the force parallel to the direction of flow, and inertia is the force that resists changes in the motion of the cylinder.

3. What is the significance of the Reynolds number when studying forces on a cylinder in a steady fluid flow?

The Reynolds number is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces in a fluid flow. It is important when studying forces on a cylinder because it determines the type of flow (laminar or turbulent) and can help predict the magnitude of the forces acting on the cylinder.

4. How does the shape of a cylinder affect the forces acting on it in a steady fluid flow?

The shape of a cylinder can greatly affect the forces acting on it in a steady fluid flow. For example, a streamlined cylinder with a pointed front will experience less drag and more lift compared to a blunt cylinder with a rounded front. This is due to the differences in how these shapes interact with the fluid flow around them.

5. How can studying forces on a cylinder in a steady fluid flow be applied in real-world situations?

Studying forces on a cylinder in a steady fluid flow has many practical applications, such as in aerodynamics for designing airplanes and in marine engineering for designing ships and submarines. It can also be useful in understanding the behavior of fluids in pipelines and in the design of wind turbines.