Forces: Pulley and Slope Constraining the Motion of two Masses

In summary, the conversation is discussing the movement of Block B and the combination of equations to find the correct solution. The equations assume Block B is moving upwards, but it is actually moving downwards, causing errors. The conversation also mentions the use of the angle 37 degrees in problem setting. After revising the equations and including the frictional force, the correct answer is obtained.
Mongster
Homework Statement
In the figure shown below, two blocks are connected by a massless, inextensible string over a frictionless pulley. The mass of Block A is 10kg and the mass of Block B is unknown.
Block A is on the incline with Q=37deg. The coefficient of kinetic friction between Block A and incline is Uk=0.30. The system of blocks has an acceleration of 0.80m/s^2 with Block B moving downwards.

Calculate mass of Block B.

My ans: 7.025kg, which isn’t correct.
Relevant Equations
F=ma
Ff = Uk x FN
D5B84571-8B68-4EAC-ACCB-DD62B2969800.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"Block B moving downwards."
Your equations are all as though block B is moving upwards.

Likes Mongster
Mb suddenly appeared when you combined equations (1) and (2).
Revise equations prior combining them.

Concentrate on the summation of forces aligned with the slope.
If there is an acceleration up hill, there must be a greater force pulling in that direction.

Forces perpendicular to the slope are balanced, there is no movement in that direction.

Likes Mongster
Lnewqban said:
Mb suddenly appeared when you combined equations (1) and (2).
That all looked right to me. There are mBa and mBg in (1), and they reappear with correct signs after combining with (2).
I'm fairly certain the error is that the equations assume mB is rising instead of falling. Each assumption will lead to a solution but yield different values.

Likes Mongster
I changed the sign convention for the pulley in accordance to the direction of motion. However I still could not obtain the answer :(

Attachments

• D5F2C7D5-659C-4CDB-9169-27D5DA68C166.jpeg
    D5F2C7D5-659C-4CDB-9169-27D5DA68C166.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 106
Update: Found a couple of mistakes in my second attempt at this Qn

1. My component force for Ma.g for Block A has been mixed up. Basically M.agSin37 & M.agCos37 are on the wrong sides.

2. Forgot to input Frictional Force (Fr) in Eqn1 + Eqn2.

Thank you all for the valuable input!

Attachments

• 0A3BE021-571B-4A88-98D8-6C7EF4D273F9.jpeg
    0A3BE021-571B-4A88-98D8-6C7EF4D273F9.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 109
Likes Lnewqban
Mongster said:
Update: Found a couple of mistakes in my second attempt at this Qn

1. My component force for Ma.g for Block A has been mixed up. Basically M.agSin37 & M.agCos37 are on the wrong sides.

2. Forgot to input Frictional Force (Fr) in Eqn1 + Eqn2.

Thank you all for the valuable input!
So do you have the right answer now?
Btw, in case you did not recognise it, 37 degrees is a favourite angle with problem setters because it is the smallest angle in a 3-4-5 triangle. Knowing this, you can write down the trig functions immediately.

Likes Mongster
Apologies for the late response. Yes the answer is now correct. Thank you for the heads up, I never realized that but now it makes sense why--- with regards to their love for the angle 37deg.

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that is used to lift or move heavy objects. It consists of a wheel with a grooved rim and a rope or cable that runs along the groove. When a force is applied to one end of the rope, the object on the other end is lifted or moved. This is due to the principle of mechanical advantage, where the pulley reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object.

2. How does a slope constrain the motion of two masses?

A slope can be used to constrain the motion of two masses by creating a ramp or incline. When one mass is placed on the slope, it will naturally roll or slide down due to the force of gravity. The slope constrains the motion by limiting the direction of movement to only down the slope. When two masses are connected by a rope or pulley system on the slope, the motion of one mass will affect the motion of the other, creating a mechanical advantage.

3. What is the difference between a fixed and a movable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object, while a movable pulley is attached to the object being lifted or moved. In a fixed pulley system, the direction of force is changed, but the amount of force needed to lift the object remains the same. In a movable pulley system, the direction of force is also changed, but the amount of force needed to lift the object is reduced due to the mechanical advantage created by the pulley.

4. How does the number of pulleys affect the mechanical advantage?

The more pulleys used in a system, the greater the mechanical advantage. This is because each pulley reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object. For example, a system with two pulleys will have a mechanical advantage of 2, while a system with three pulleys will have a mechanical advantage of 3.

5. Can a pulley system be used to lift an object heavier than the applied force?

Yes, a pulley system can be used to lift an object heavier than the applied force. This is due to the mechanical advantage created by the pulley, which reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object. However, there are limits to the weight that can be lifted depending on the strength and design of the pulley system.