Forces, Trains and Friction

In summary, a locomotive with a 25 car train, each car having a mass of 6.8 * 104 kg and subject to a friction force f = 250v, accelerates along a level track with a magnitude of acceleration of 0.20 m/s2 when the train's speed is 42 km/h. The tension in the coupling between the first car and the locomotive is 412875 N. If this tension is equal to the maximum force the locomotive can exert on the train, the steepest grade it can pull the train at 42 km/h is the part that needs help. The equation used for this part is F-f-mgsin∅-mgcos∅ =
majormaaz

Homework Statement

A locomotive accelerates a 25 car train along a level track. Every car has a mass of 6.8 * 104 kg and is subject to a friction force f = 250v where the speed v is in meters per second and the force f is in Newtons. At the instant when the speed of the train is 42 km/h, the magnitude of the acceleration is 0.20 m/s2.

(a) What is the tension in the coupling between the first car and the locomotive?
I got 412875 N
(b) If the tension is equal to the maximum force the locomotive can exert on the train, what is the steepest grade up which the locomotive can pull the train at 42 km/h?
This is the part I need help with

Homework Equations

f = 250*v
v = 11.66 m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, for the first part,
Net Force = F - f(riction)
ma=F-f
ma+f=F
because there are 25 cars, each with its own mass and friction...
25(m)a + 25(250v) = F
25(6.8 E4)(0.2) + 25(250*11.66) = F
412875 = F

For the second part, I drew the following diagram, which should show up as an attachment.
I forgot to draw in the theta, but oh well.

Net Force = F - mgsin∅ - f - Ncos ∅ = 0
If the net force is zero, then the velocity is constant, I think...
Going on that assumption...
F-f-mgsin∅-mgcos∅ = 0
F-f = mg(sin∅ + cos∅)
(F-f)/(mg) = sin∅ + cos∅
...and that's how far I got before confusion got me.

Any help is appreciated

Attachments

• Hot Dawg.png
    Hot Dawg.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 541
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have counted friction twice... what is the ##N\cos(\phi)## part for?

What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion.

How do forces affect trains?

Forces play a crucial role in the movement of trains. The engine of a train exerts a force that propels the train forward, while friction from the tracks and air resistance act as opposing forces that slow down the train.

What is friction?

Friction is a force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact with each other. It resists motion and can cause objects to slow down or stop.

How does friction impact trains?

Friction between the wheels of a train and the track is necessary for the train to move forward. However, too much friction can result in excessive wear on the wheels and tracks, causing maintenance issues and potentially slowing down the train.

How do trains reduce friction?

Trains reduce friction by using lubricants on the wheels and tracks, which reduces the amount of friction and allows for a smoother and more efficient movement. Additionally, the design of the train and its aerodynamics can also help reduce friction from air resistance.