Forgetful Memory: Unusual Struggles with Everyday Life

In summary: So, in summary, the conversation is about how the speakers struggle with remembering names and things like birthdays and phone numbers, and the various tactics they use to try and remember. They also discuss a situation where one of them doesn't know the name of their friend and the potential ways to find out.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
It is strange but i can not remember people, numbers, events ,unless they are reinforced regularly, a guy says hello rob hows things, hows your mom, how is benji, (our dog) and i do not know who the heck this guy is, and yet i can tell you in detail about every machine in the factory where i work, or about the history in my locality, i can not even remember my cars registration or only the first part XOD, i have difficulty remembering my own telephone number after two years of having it, i remember the numbers but they get mixed up, this is strange.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't remember actors' names that I could remember a few years ago.

Last edited:
I don't think that's unusual at all. I think it's more unusual the people who can remember the names of everyone they meet...quite a gift really. Most of the time, I'm pretty good with remembering faces, but when it comes to remembering names, I can be pretty bad. I have to sit and talk with a person most of the night to really get their name to stick (though I'm proud of myself...after last night's Christmas party, I still remember the name of our secretary's boyfriend, and her son's girlfriend, and one of our technician's girlfriends...but only because I made a point to introduce them to the other people who walked up to us after I met them...three new names in one night is a lot for me without any nametags!)

It's normal. I have an excellent memory in all fields except for, uh, what was it again? :rolleyes:

I have to meet someone atleast 3 times before i remember their name. I also have a bad habit of forgetting things like birthday's. I don't even know my familys birthdays.

I am horrible with names, even the names of students who always come to the tutoring sessions I tutor at. I try to organize people by characteristics instead! Ex. Instead of "Nick" I think "Guy with really low voice." and instead of "Rose", "Girl who always wears a ribbon in her hair."

This doesn't really work to well if someone else wears a ribbon though!:rolleyes:

I finally got all my students' names right this year (all 8 of them :rolleyes:). I downloaded their student photos and printed out their photos with their names and took that to class every week so I wouldn't call them by the wrong names, and didn't have to take notes on their participation that read like "guy with dark hair and glasses..."

I'm not sure what I do next semester when I'm teaching the entire medical class and not just 8 of them. Well, at least I know 8 names. :rolleyes:

I know of a good way to remember things but I forgot what it was.

I can never remember where my sandwich went.

this is a true life version of the Seinfeld episode where he doesn't know the name of his own girlfriend:

I have this friend whom I've known for almost a year. we're not best friends, but we're friends none the less; we talk regularly and hang out and what not... yet I know only her initials! it's driving me nuts! I have no idea what her name is, and we're waaaay past the point where I could ask! I can't ask anyone else either because they'd think it's incredibly weird and probably tell her or tell someone and it would eventually reach her. ... I try to wait and keep my ears open at parties for someone to call her or something but for some crappy odds I'm never there when people actually call her. I added her on my facebook, but she only uses her initials!

the only thing that saves me from being discovered is that I call everyone "dude."

moe darklight said:
this is a true life version of the Seinfeld episode where he doesn't know the name of his own girlfriend:

I have this friend whom I've known for almost a year. we're not best friends, but we're friends none the less; we talk regularly and hang out and what not... yet I know only her initials! it's driving me nuts! I have no idea what her name is, and we're waaaay past the point where I could ask! I can't ask anyone else either because they'd think it's incredibly weird and probably tell her or tell someone and it would eventually reach her. ... I try to wait and keep my ears open at parties for someone to call her or something but for some crappy odds I'm never there when people actually call her. I added her on my facebook, but she only uses her initials!

the only thing that saves me from being discovered is that I call everyone "dude."

:smile: Your only hope is to try introducing her to someone at a party, stammer a few times, exclaim, "OMG! I can't believe I'm so drunk!" and hope she laughs and introduces herself.

Naw, there's a better way. Challenge her to a contest of which one has the worst driver's license photo, and read her name.

Moonbear said:
:smile: Your only hope is to try introducing her to someone at a party, stammer a few times, exclaim, "OMG! I can't believe I'm so drunk!" and hope she laughs and introduces herself.

:biggrin: haha and should that fails too, my last resort: spasmodically yelp out random names that start with "S" throughout the night until she turns around.

Danger said:
Naw, there's a better way. Challenge her to a contest of which one has the worst driver's license photo, and read her name.

hey! that's not bad actually! ... something tells me this is not random advice coming from a novice in dealing with this sort of situation :rolleyes:.

Danger said:

:smile: That's a great one! I can see you've needed this ploy before too. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
I can see you've needed this ploy before too. :biggrin:

I've been using that one since about the time that you were born, sweetie. (And no, I never met your mother; no inheritance for you.)
It's really weird that in my 17 years working at the cowboy bar, and 3 years at a different one after, I had customers that I couldn't identify. I'd see them walk in the door, know who they'd chat with on the way in, what tunes (if any) they'd plug into the juke, and their regular drinks would be waiting for them by the time they got to the bar. We'd shoot the **** for a few hours, say our goodnights, and do it all over again the next night... and to this day I have no idea of what their names are. :rolleyes:

moe darklight said:

O wow! And I thought I was bad! That is hilarious! Hope you figure it out.:smile:

Danger said:
I tried this on the PF. It didn't work: her name was whited out.

She had a GREAT driver's license picture, though! :smile:

I have the same problem and its been already 2 years of friends and talking almost every day. The worst part he knows my name. Also I don't have driving license. He should get facebook so I could remember his name.

"dude" is a savior :)

EnumaElish said:
I tried this on the PF. It didn't work: her name was whited out.

She had a GREAT driver's license picture, though! :smile:

Ahhh, yes... the gorgeous Evo as a youngster. Come on now, you didn't really think that she'd be that careless... :wink:

Some times the best way to remember things is not to think about them and they will just pop into your head, but then again you may forget you were not thinking about them and forget to remember them, so before you stop thinking about them leave your self a note
in pocket or some where you will find it, then then you can stop thinking about them
until they pop into your head, or not.

My local Public Broadcasting Station is giving away a Brain Fitness Program for anyone who contributes $365 to their funding. It comes with two CDs, books, brochures, and an online membership to a discussion group. You need to have a computer and headphones. Also, maintaining cardiovascular exercise is key because that's what feeds the brain (O2, that is). It is based on neurological research on "brain plasticity." It claims to reverse mental decline.

wolram said:
Some times the best way to remember things is not to think about them and they will just pop into your head, but then again you may forget you were not thinking about them and forget to remember them, so before you stop thinking about them leave your self a note
in pocket or some where you will find it, then then you can stop thinking about them
until they pop into your head, or not.

can you say that again:biggrin:

out of whack said:
It's normal. I have an excellent memory in all fields except for, uh, what was it again? :rolleyes:

now that is the perfect example don't you think so:wink:

wolram said:
...i have difficulty remembering my own telephone number after two years of having it ...

it took me more than (((((5))))) years to remember mine! it is ****

Danger said:
It's really weird that in my 17 years working at the cowboy bar, and 3 years at a different one after, I had customers that I couldn't identify. I'd see them walk in the door, know who they'd chat with on the way in, what tunes (if any) they'd plug into the juke, and their regular drinks would be waiting for them by the time they got to the bar. We'd shoot the **** for a few hours, say our goodnights, and do it all over again the next night... and to this day I have no idea of what their names are. :rolleyes:
When I was working the bars as a musician, I would have no trouble remembering the names of the bartenders, musicians, etc, but I'd go blank on patrons. There were female patrons young enough to be my daughter that would request songs, buy drinks for me and my band and hang out during our breaks. I was always faithful enough to my wife that the romantic aspect was not a consideration, but really! I have spent hours talking to some of these ladies, hanging out, playing darts with them, etc, and if I see them on the street, I'll draw a blank. It's pretty embarrassing when a pretty lady rushes up, all smiles, to give me a hug and asks how I'm doing, and I have to resort to something like "You're as pretty as always, sweetie!" because I can't dredge up her name. It's especially troublesome because I spent a lot of years in sales, and could place names to faces (even to voices!) with no effort at all.

I can't remember much at all.

In particular, no day to day events inlcuding nothing from my childhood.

To me, it seems quite natural to be this way -- confuses my brother tho', who remembers things from way back to the tiniest detail.

I know of a great way to remember things that I know of.

Four said:
I have the same problem and its been already 2 years of friends and talking almost every day. The worst part he knows my name. Also I don't have driving license. He should get facebook so I could remember his name.

Try getting him to send you an email for some reason or another-- I'm sure you can make something up like "can you send me that file", or "could you send me (a mutual friends) email address so I can contact him for (some reason)." Almost everyone has their name come up in emails.. their first name, at least!

Related to Forgetful Memory: Unusual Struggles with Everyday Life

What is "Forgetful Memory: Unusual Struggles with Everyday Life"?

"Forgetful Memory: Unusual Struggles with Everyday Life" refers to a condition that affects an individual's ability to remember and recall information in their daily lives. It is characterized by unusual struggles with everyday tasks and difficulties in retaining new information.

What are the symptoms of "Forgetful Memory: Unusual Struggles with Everyday Life"?

The symptoms of "Forgetful Memory: Unusual Struggles with Everyday Life" can vary from person to person, but may include forgetting important dates or events, difficulty remembering conversations or instructions, misplacing items frequently, and having trouble learning new things.

What causes "Forgetful Memory: Unusual Struggles with Everyday Life"?

The exact cause of "Forgetful Memory: Unusual Struggles with Everyday Life" is still unknown, but it is believed to be a combination of genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors. Certain medical conditions, medications, and high levels of stress may also contribute to the development of this condition.

How is "Forgetful Memory: Unusual Struggles with Everyday Life" diagnosed?

There is no specific test to diagnose "Forgetful Memory: Unusual Struggles with Everyday Life." A doctor may conduct a thorough medical history and physical examination, as well as cognitive and memory tests to assess an individual's memory and thinking abilities. Other tests, such as blood work, may be done to rule out any underlying medical conditions.

Is there a cure for "Forgetful Memory: Unusual Struggles with Everyday Life"?

Currently, there is no cure for "Forgetful Memory: Unusual Struggles with Everyday Life." However, there are various strategies and treatments, such as memory training exercises, lifestyle changes, and medications, that can help manage symptoms and improve overall quality of life for those with this condition.