Forgetful Moments: Tales of Embarrassment and Where to Find Answers

• Thread starter Borg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moments
In summary, someone lost their keys and was able to find them by using the last place they expected to look.
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You know you've done it. You can't find something that you're looking for and when you finally find it, you wonder why you didn't look there in the first place.

Me yesterday: I was getting ready for an afternoon run. As I am going out the door, I get my watch and a key to the door. But the key wasn't where it should be. I looked all over the house for it and couldn't find it anywhere. Just as I was about to give up and get another key, I patted my pocket and there it was. I got the key first and then got distracted when I noticed that the watch needed to be changed for daylight savings time. By the time I had changed the time, I had forgotten that I already had the key. :rolleyes:

Feel free to add your own stories of embarrassing forgetfulness or just enjoy these other instances of Forgetful Moments.

Likes Medicol
Physics news on Phys.org
I once spent over 1/2 hour searching for my glasses and then realized that I was wearing them...

Ah they keys. Must have happened to almost everyone.

The keys as well. In my pocket they fell.
My eyeglasses around. In my face they were found.
The homework of class. In the backpack it was.
My chess made of wood. In my own room it stood.

♫Tiriri ri ri ri ri. Tiriri ri ri ri ri.♫

Likes edward and Enigman
All is well as one finds the lost item in the last place checked.

I remember hurrying to school and not being able to close the flat because I couldn't locate the keys - they were not on the shelf where I always put them. Took me quite long time to realize I already picked them and I have them in my hand.

That was when I was a teenager, since then I made a huge progress.

Likes Borg
I have a rule of thumb which has helped on many occasions:

If you can't find something anywhere, start again from the first place you would expect it to be, but look harder.

It works for the obvious reason that when you first fail to find something in the usual place, you are likely to skip to the next place without trying too hard, and it's only when you've exhausted all the usual places that you start looking more carefully.

I am short-sighted and have to wear a black framed pair of glasses. Today I went to the swimming pool and while being ready for home, I discovered I lost my glasses. I went back to the locker but found nothing. While I was searching up and down around the bathroom. I heard a guy speak loudly about a dropped pair of glasses of someone in the front door. I went out to see a guy picking it up and going toward the clothe changing room. I told him it was mine but he denied and refused to return it to me. I left the pool feeling really sad. I mumbled all the way home angrily. It was raining and the night began to fall. I could hardly see anything and all of a sudden I hit the road bump unexpectedly that fell me down on the street. And there I also saw my glasses falling out from my backpack put in my bicycle's basket.
Amen! I cursed the poor guy!

Last week I lost my phone for a day and a half...the first day of the year that was cold enough to wear a jacket to work and the following day, which was warmer...

Doug Huffman said:
All is well as one finds the lost item in the last place checked.
It always leaves me shaking my head when some dip asks why that happens. :rolleyes:

Borek said:
not being able to close the flat because I couldn't locate the keys... ...Took me quite long time to realize I already picked them and I have them in my hand.

That was when I was a teenager, since then I made a huge progress.
Yeah... now you have carkeys to lose as well...

Borg said:
, I get my watch and a key to the door. But the key wasn't where it should be. I looked all over the house for it and couldn't find it anywhere. Just as I was about to give up and get another key,
haha can relate to that
house key car key company and other keys and a USB stick all on the one keyring
was trying to get out of house to go to work one morning, couldn't find my keys, can't get the car started without it
after 20 mins still couldn't find so has to use the spare key for the car

got home that nite and switched on the computer and there in the USB port was my USB stick and all the keys :rolleyes:

a month or so later did the same thing but after 5 - 10 mins looking, a vague memory told me to check the puter
and I got the keys :)

I put it down to old age and CRAFTS Disease ( Cant Remember A Flaming Thing)

Dave

russ_watters said:
Last week I lost my phone for a day and a half...the first day of the year that was cold enough to wear a jacket to work and the following day, which was warmer...

LOL :-)

I couldn't find my wristwatch the other morning before I headed out to work. I use my watch a lot during the day, so I was very reluctant to leave without it. I searched my apartment several times, even using Search & Rescue skills I'd learned in CERT and EMS (left-hand search, right-hand search). I finally gave up and grabbed my back-up wristwatch (an old one with a broken wristband).

Turns out my girlfriend had wanted to try out my watch that day, and took it with her, leaving a note. Of course, I was looking for a watch, not a note, so I completely missed it. Doh! :rolleyes:

Likes davenn
Danger said:
It always leaves me shaking my head when some dip asks why that happens. :rolleyes:

How does it leave you when someone is looking at a map in a shopping mall and a part of the map reads " You Are Here" , and the person says: " How do they know?

Likes Danger
:DD

Jonathan Scott said:
I have a rule of thumb which has helped on many occasions:

If you can't find something anywhere, start again from the first place you would expect it to be, but look harder.

A complementary rule is that when you finally find something, put it back in the first place where you looked for it.

It pays to keep keys in the same place. I've formed a habit of keeping them in the same drawer instead of leaving them in my trousers or lying randomly about the house. When I look in the drawer, I try to notice if any keys are missing, so if they do get misplaced I have an early warning of it.

I once spent a day looking for an important notebook and found it in the refrigerator.

During the course of an hour's work on my car, the ratchet, socket, or extension I need will evaporate from where I set it down and re-materialize somewhere else a dozen or so times.

Likes edward
Medicol said:
I am short-sighted and have to wear a black framed pair of glasses. Today I went to the swimming pool and while being ready for home, I discovered I lost my glasses. I went back to the locker but found nothing. While I was searching up and down around the bathroom. I heard a guy speak loudly about a dropped pair of glasses of someone in the front door. I went out to see a guy picking it up and going toward the clothe changing room. I told him it was mine but he denied and refused to return it to me. I left the pool feeling really sad. I mumbled all the way home angrily. It was raining and the night began to fall. I could hardly see anything and all of a sudden I hit the road bump unexpectedly that fell me down on the street. And there I also saw my glasses falling out from my backpack put in my bicycle's basket.
Amen! I cursed the poor guy!

Could have been worse.

Likes Medicol
BobG said:
Could have been worse.

Once in a while, I'd pull into my driveway after a hard day at work, just feeling like something was missing... and look into the back seat... and realize I forgot to pick the kids up from daycare!

I had lots of stories of forgetfulness but I forgot all of them the moment I start typing here! And no I'm not kidding.:(

Likes Medicol

1. What is "Forgetful Moments: Tales of Embarrassment and Where to Find Answers" about?

"Forgetful Moments: Tales of Embarrassment and Where to Find Answers" is a collection of stories and tips about how to handle embarrassing moments caused by forgetfulness. It offers practical advice on how to overcome forgetfulness and prevent it from causing awkward situations.

2. Who is the target audience for this book?

The target audience for this book is anyone who struggles with forgetfulness and has experienced embarrassing situations as a result. It can be helpful for people of all ages and backgrounds, as forgetfulness can affect anyone.

3. How does this book help with forgetfulness?

This book offers strategies and techniques to improve memory and prevent forgetfulness. It also provides tips on how to handle embarrassing moments caused by forgetfulness and how to find answers to questions you may have. Additionally, it shares relatable stories to help readers feel less alone in their struggles with forgetfulness.

4. Is this book based on scientific research?

Yes, this book is based on scientific research and studies on memory and forgetfulness. It also incorporates real-life experiences and anecdotes from the author and others who have struggled with forgetfulness.

5. Can this book help with severe cases of forgetfulness?

While this book offers practical tips and strategies to improve memory and prevent forgetfulness, it is not intended to diagnose or treat severe cases of forgetfulness. If you are experiencing severe memory loss, it is recommended to consult a medical professional for personalized treatment and advice.