Forgetting a Term: Country Expands Borders on Religious Beliefs

• Thread starter JohnPrior3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Term
In summary: For example, the Mandate of Heaven is often seen as a justification or legitimization of rule by a monarch, while the Divine Right of Kings is an assertion of the right of a monarch to rule because of the divine authority vested in them by God.
JohnPrior3
I know this is physics forums and I am a physicist. I figure the people out here are well read beyond the realm of physics. I am trying to remember the term that describes a country should expand its borders based on religious belief. I am writing a paper, and I cannot come up with the name of the term for the life of me. It isn't a modern term and doesn't apply to Islam. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
this would about fit that bill ...

from Wiki ...

The Crusades were military campaigns sanctioned by the Latin Roman Catholic Church during the High Middle Ages and Late Middle Ages. In 1095 Pope Urban II proclaimed the First Crusade with the stated goal of restoring Christian access to holy places in and near Jerusalem. Many historians and some of those involved at the time, like Saint Bernard of Clairvaux, give equal precedence to other papal-sanctioned military campaigns undertaken for a variety of religious, economic, and political reasons, such as the Albigensian Crusade, the Aragonese Crusade, the Reconquista, and the Northern Crusades.[1] Following the First Crusade there was an intermittent 200-year struggle for control of the Holy Land, with six more major crusades and numerous minor ones. In 1291, the conflict ended in failure with the fall of the last Christian stronghold in the Holy Land at Acre, after which Roman Catholic Europe mounted no further coherent response in the east.
Some historians see the Crusades as part of a purely defensive war against Islamic conquest; some see them as part of long-running conflict at the frontiers of Europe; and others see them as confident, aggressive, papal-led expansion attempts by Western Christendom. Crusading attracted men and women of all classes.

cheers
Dave

davenn said:
this would about fit that bill ...

from Wiki ...
cheers
Dave
Thanks for the response! I actually figured it out, it was the Mandate of Heaven. I'm sorry my description was poor, but I really appreciate your answer.

JohnPrior3 said:
Thanks for the response! I actually figured it out, it was the Mandate of Heaven. I'm sorry my description was poor, but I really appreciate your answer.

Nope, that's not it. The 'Mandate of Heaven' is a term which has a specific meaning in Chinese philosophy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandate_of_Heaven

A roughly equivalent concept in the West would be the 'Divine Right of Kings':

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divine_right_of_kings

The two concepts are different in the details of their application to their respective civilizations.

As a scientist, it is important to approach all topics with a critical and evidence-based mindset. While religion can certainly play a role in shaping a country's policies and actions, it is crucial to consider all factors and perspectives before making any claims or decisions.

In terms of expanding borders based on religious beliefs, the term that comes to mind is "manifest destiny." This term was used in the 19th century to justify the expansion of the United States into Native American territories, with the belief that it was their divine duty to spread their culture and religion.

However, it is important to note that this term has been heavily criticized and is not a valid justification for any actions in modern times. Religion should not be used as a tool for territorial expansion or any other political agenda. It is important for countries to respect the sovereignty and beliefs of others, and to engage in peaceful and respectful dialogue when addressing any conflicts or differences.

Related to Forgetting a Term: Country Expands Borders on Religious Beliefs

1. What is the impact of expanding borders on religious beliefs?

Expanding borders can have a significant impact on religious beliefs as it can lead to the introduction of new religious practices and beliefs from other cultures into the expanded country. This can potentially challenge the existing religious beliefs and practices of the native population.

2. How does expanding borders affect the religious diversity of a country?

Expanding borders can increase the religious diversity of a country as it opens up opportunities for people of different religions to migrate and settle in the expanded territory. This can lead to a more diverse religious landscape and potentially create tensions between different religious groups.

3. How do governments typically handle the integration of new religious beliefs into an expanded country?

The approach of governments towards the integration of new religious beliefs can vary. Some may choose to promote religious tolerance and diversity, while others may prioritize the dominant religion of the country. Some governments may also impose restrictions on certain religious practices in order to maintain social cohesion.

4. Can expanding borders lead to conflicts between different religious groups?

Yes, expanding borders can potentially lead to conflicts between different religious groups as it can create competition for resources and influence. This can be particularly true in countries with a history of religious tensions or where one religion holds a dominant position.

5. Are there any potential benefits of expanding borders on religious beliefs?

Yes, there can be potential benefits of expanding borders on religious beliefs. It can lead to the exchange of ideas and practices between different religions, promoting cultural understanding and acceptance. It can also create opportunities for religious minorities to practice their beliefs freely in the expanded territory.