Formula for fictitious moments

In summary, the conversation discusses fictitious forces and moments felt by objects in non-inertial frames, such as a ball in a moving car or a carousel. These forces include Euler forces, centrifugal forces, and Coriolis forces, and their formulas are well-known. The conversation also delves into the question of how to formulate fictitious moments for solid objects in non-inertial frames, with the use of the action principle and Lagrangian. The theoretical treatment of the gyrocompass is mentioned as a special case of this concept.
taalf
Hi All,

Everyone knows so called "fictitious" forces, also known as "inertial" forces. They are forces felt by some mass point placed in a non-inertial frame. For example: a ball in a moving car or in a carousel.

Maybe most intuitive fictitious forces are centrifugal forces, but there are also Euler forces and Coriolis forces. Formulas for such forces are well known (bold means "vector"):

Euler force: FE = -m ⋅ dΩ/dt × OP
Centrifugal force: FCe = -m ⋅ Ω × (Ω × OP)
Coriolis force: FCo = -m ⋅ 2Ω × V

with:
m the mass of the point,
Ω the rotation vector of the non inertial frame,
OP the position of the point in the non inertial frame,
V the velocity of the point in the non inertial frame.

Know, consider the object is not a mass point, but some solid with a given inertia tensor:
___|Ixx Ixy Ixz|
I = |Iyx Iyy Iyz|
___|Izx Izy Izz|

This solid, put in a non inertial frame, should not only feel fictitious forces, but also fictitious moments.

The question is: how to formulate them?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a really interesting question. I guess it's quite complicated. That's why I right away would use the action principle and write down the Lagrangian using center-mass coordinates and Euler angles between body-fixed and space-fixed Cartesian bases but with the space-fixed frame as a non-inertial (rotating) reference frame.

A special case of this is the theoretical treatment of the gyrocompass, which you can find in the Wikipedia (although I found this more complicated than necessary):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrocompass

My own attempt to explain it, you can find in my lecture notes on mechanics, which are, however, in German (p. 129ff)

https://th.physik.uni-frankfurt.de/~hees/publ/theo1-l3.pdf

1. What is the formula for fictitious moments?

The formula for fictitious moments is a mathematical equation used to calculate the apparent forces and moments experienced by a body in non-inertial reference frames, such as rotating or accelerating frames.

2. How is the formula for fictitious moments derived?

The formula for fictitious moments is derived from the laws of motion, specifically Newton's second law, in order to account for the effects of non-inertial reference frames on a body's motion.

3. Can the formula for fictitious moments be applied to all types of non-inertial reference frames?

Yes, the formula for fictitious moments can be applied to any type of non-inertial reference frame, as long as the motion is known and the equations of motion can be applied.

4. What are some real-world applications of the formula for fictitious moments?

The formula for fictitious moments is used in various fields such as aerospace engineering, robotics, and physics to analyze and predict the behavior of objects in non-inertial reference frames.

5. Are there any limitations to the formula for fictitious moments?

While the formula for fictitious moments is a useful tool in many applications, it does have limitations. It assumes that the non-inertial reference frame is constant and does not take into account factors such as friction or air resistance.