Formula for pull force of a ring magnet on a metal rod

In summary, the formula for pull force of a ring magnet on a metal rod is (μ x m x I) / (2 x g) and the formula for the pull force of a solenoid is ((N x I)^2 x μ x A) / (2 x g^2).
kvkskumar
Hi,
Can somebody give me the formula for pull force of ring magnet(permanent. not solenoid or electric) on a metal rod.

Also is the formula for pull force by a solenoid given below correct. If not let me know the correct one for the below.

Force = ((N x I)^2 x μ x A) / (2 x g^2)

N = the number of turns in the solenoid
I = the current, in amperes (A), running through the solenoid
A = the cross-sectional area, in meters-squared, of the solenoidal magnet
g = the distance, in meters, between the magnet and the piece of metal
μ = 4 x pi x 10^-7
^ = symbol that means "to the power of"

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the formula for the pull force of a solenoid is correct. The formula for the pull force of a ring magnet on a metal rod is: Force = (μ x m x I) / (2 x g) where μ = 4πx10^-7 m = magnetic moment of the ring magnet I = current in the winding of the ring magnet g = distance between the ring magnet and the metal rod

1. What is the formula for calculating the pull force of a ring magnet on a metal rod?

The formula for calculating the pull force of a ring magnet on a metal rod is F = (B x H x L x μ0 x μr)/2, where F is the pull force, B is the magnetic field strength, H is the height of the magnet, L is the length of the rod, μ0 is the permeability of free space, and μr is the relative permeability of the material.

2. How do I determine the magnetic field strength (B) of a ring magnet?

The magnetic field strength (B) of a ring magnet can be determined by using a Gaussmeter, which measures the strength of a magnetic field in units of Gauss or Tesla. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by dividing the magnet's magnetic flux by its cross-sectional area.

3. What is the significance of the height (H) and length (L) of the magnet and rod in the pull force formula?

The height (H) and length (L) of the magnet and rod are important factors in the pull force formula as they determine the distance between the magnet and the metal rod. The greater the distance, the weaker the pull force will be. Therefore, the height and length must be accurately measured for an accurate calculation of the pull force.

4. How does the permeability of free space (μ0) and relative permeability (μr) affect the pull force?

The permeability of free space (μ0) and relative permeability (μr) are important factors in determining the pull force. The higher the permeability, the stronger the pull force will be. Materials with higher relative permeability, such as iron and steel, will experience a greater pull force compared to materials with lower relative permeability, such as aluminum and copper.

5. Can the formula for pull force of a ring magnet on a metal rod be applied to all types of magnets?

Yes, the formula for pull force can be applied to all types of magnets as long as the magnet is in the shape of a ring and the metal rod is ferromagnetic. However, the calculation may vary slightly depending on the shape and size of the magnet and rod.