Formula relating thickness of pipe to fundamental frequency

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the resonant frequency of a closed pipe with varying wall thickness. The speaker attempted to use the technique of over-blowing and asks if there is a mathematical formula for calculating the resonant frequency. The conversation also touches on the difference between modes of air and flexural modes of the pipe, and the interaction between them. The speaker also mentions using a measuring cylinder and the natural frequencies of vibration it produces. Finally, they clarify that over-blowing does not always produce the fundamental frequency and asks about the relationship between the various resonant frequencies obtained.
Zoro

Homework Statement

I understand how to find the resonant frequency of a closed pipe but when the thickness of the walls varies, the resonant frequency varies. Is there a formula that i can use to find the resonant frequency of a closed pipe given the length, temperature, speed of sound and THICKNESS. Thank you for any help :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted a few experiments in which i used a technique called over blowing but i also want to calculate it mathematically if possible.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was not aware that the wall thickness does affect the fundamental frequency of the notes produced by the column of air. I can understand how it alters any notes generated by vibration of the pipe walls, and how it may attenuate different harmonics from the air column differently. Both of those will make the note sound different, but the fundamental frequency should be the same.
Maybe someone else knows some subtleties I'm missing.

Yes, are talking about modes of the air in the tube or about the flexural modes of the pipe?

i mean the resonant frequency. Basically i was trying to determine the resonant frequency of a closed pipe (measuring cylinder) and looked at different cylinders with different thicknesses of the walls. I used a technique called over blowing

Both types of vibrations (air vibration and wall vibration) have resonant frequencies.
How did you measure the frequency?
By over blowing you mean a technique of exciting higher modes of a wind instrument?

By overblowing, i mean i hit the glass measuring cylinder twice with my finger and then blew air over the opening. The sound that was made was recorded and the natural / resonant frequency was calculated using f = waves/ time

The cylinder itself has natural frequencies of vibration - these are what you excite when you tap the cylinder . During vibration the cylinder flexes in the same way as a bell does - hence this type of vibration is commonly called bell mode vibration .

The air column in the cylinder has a different set of natural frequencies - these are what you excite when you blow over the cylinder .

The level of interaction between bell mode vibration and air column vibration has to be investigated case by case but very often the interaction is so weak that the two can be looked at individually .

If you tap the cylinder quite sharply with a metal spoon or similar you will clearly hear the bell mode vibrations . Usually quite a clear musical note is produced .

The material and geometry of the cylinder determine its natural frequencies .

Last edited:
Likes billy_joule
Zoro said:
By overblowing, i mean i hit the glass measuring cylinder twice with my finger and then blew air over the opening. The sound that was made was recorded and the natural / resonant frequency was calculated using f = waves/ time
Over-blowing generally produces some harmonic, not the fundamental frequency.

Were the various resonant frequencies you obtained approximately a multiple of the fundamental frequency?

What is the formula for relating the thickness of a pipe to its fundamental frequency?

The formula for relating the thickness of a pipe to its fundamental frequency is given by f = (nv)/(2L), where f is the fundamental frequency, n is the number of nodes, v is the speed of sound, and L is the length of the pipe.

How does the thickness of a pipe affect its fundamental frequency?

The thickness of a pipe directly affects its fundamental frequency. A thicker pipe will have a lower fundamental frequency, while a thinner pipe will have a higher fundamental frequency.

What are the factors that can influence the relationship between pipe thickness and fundamental frequency?

The relationship between pipe thickness and fundamental frequency can be influenced by various factors such as the material of the pipe, the temperature, and the pressure. These factors can affect the speed of sound and the density of the medium, which in turn impact the fundamental frequency.

Can the formula for relating pipe thickness to fundamental frequency be applied to all types of pipes?

The formula for relating pipe thickness to fundamental frequency is applicable to all types of pipes as long as they have a closed end. This includes pipes with different shapes and materials, as long as they have a fixed length and are closed at one end.

Are there any limitations to the formula for relating pipe thickness to fundamental frequency?

Yes, there are some limitations to the formula. It assumes that the pipe is uniform and has a single closed end. It also does not take into account the effects of air viscosity and turbulence, which can have a small impact on the fundamental frequency.