Open Tube Resonance: Fundamental Frequency

In summary, a long tube open at both ends is used to construct a musical instrument, with sound waves generated by a taut wire with a tension of 600 N and a linear mass density of 0.031 kg/m. With a length of 2.4 m and a hole cut at 0.8 m, the fundamental resonant frequency of the new system can be found by breaking the pipe into two sections, with frequencies of 107 Hz and 214 Hz. The effect of the hole is to break the pipe into two pieces, and the fundamental wavelength that "survives" is the one that fits in both sections. Therefore, the smaller section of the pipe would be the "surviving" one.
physics123

Homework Statement

A long tube that is open at both ends is used to construct a musical instrument. The sound waves that enter the tube are generated by a taut wire with a tension of 600 N and a linear mass density of 0.031 kg/m.
If the length of the tube is 2.4 m and a hole is cut in the side of the tube at 0.8 m, what is the fundamental resonant frequency of the new system? A) 214 Hz B) 107 Hz C) 71 Hz D) 143 Hz E) 321 Hz

Homework Equations

λ= v/2L

The Attempt at a Solution

I broke the pipe up into two pieces and found that the frequencies of the 1.6 m tube and the 0.8m tube are 107Hz and 214Hz, respectively. These are both answers available. If I add these together, I also get a third answer. Which is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the efffect of the hole on the standing wave pattern in the tube (cf a flute) ? So what's the fundamental wavelength ?

The fundamental wavelength of which part of the tube? The hole effectively breaks the pipe into two different pieces does it not?

Correct. But which wavelength 'survives' ?

Not sure I catch what you mean by 'survives'. The way I see this, you now how two different pipes of different lengths and I'm unsure which to focus on.

The one that 'survives' is the one that fits in both sections ... !

So that would mean the smaller section of pipe would be the 'surviving' one in these questions?

Right. The biggest wavelength that fits in there also fits in the other section (as a second harmonic). The other way around not.

What is open tube resonance?

Open tube resonance refers to the phenomenon in which a tube, such as a flute or organ pipe, produces a sound when air is blown through it. This sound is created by the vibration of the air column inside the tube, which is determined by its length and the speed of sound.

What is the fundamental frequency of an open tube?

The fundamental frequency of an open tube is the lowest frequency at which the tube can vibrate and produce a sound. This is determined by the length of the tube and the speed of sound in the surrounding medium.

How is the fundamental frequency of an open tube calculated?

The fundamental frequency of an open tube can be calculated using the equation f = v/2L, where f is the frequency, v is the speed of sound, and L is the length of the tube. This equation assumes that the tube is open on both ends and that the speed of sound is constant.

What factors affect the fundamental frequency of an open tube?

The fundamental frequency of an open tube is affected by the length of the tube, the speed of sound in the surrounding medium, and the density of the medium. It is also influenced by the shape and material of the tube, as well as any obstructions or holes in the tube that can alter the air column's vibration.

How does open tube resonance differ from closed tube resonance?

Open tube resonance differs from closed tube resonance in that open tubes have both ends open to the surrounding medium, while closed tubes have one end closed and one end open. This affects the fundamental frequency calculation and the resulting sound produced by the tubes.