Fortran 90 installation assistance

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with setting up Fortran 90 on their MacBook Pro for a unit in their Physics B.Sc. They have researched online and are unsure of the best approach, hoping to avoid any costs. Suggestions are made for using gfortran, plato IDE, and the Eclipse Photran plugin package with the NAR plugin. The use of maven as a tool for managing dependencies and portability is also recommended, along with the use of code editors such as gedit, vim, or sublime for syntax highlighting.
SalfordPhysics
Like so many before, I have a unit over the next year using Fortran 90 as part of my Physics B.Sc.

In advance, I'd like to get it up an running on my MacBook Pro, but having read various threads over the internet I'm not so sure on what to do. I don't want to pay a penny, but if it is the only option then it will have to be done.

Is there an equivalent to eclipse for java that I need... can eclipse do this... am I barking up the wrong tree?
Any assistance or good re-direction will be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
I use plato IDE. It's very useful. In addition to fortran, it does support other pro languages such as C\C++ ,java and so on. It is free and you can download it from the internet.

Eclipse supports FORTRAN 77 with Photran plugin package:

http://www.eclipse.org/photran/

You might be able to use it to edit and manage your project as a maven project so that maven builds it with the correct fortran compiler and libraries.

http://blog.bigpixel.ro/2012/07/building-cc-applications-with-maven/

The NAR plugin supports C/C++ and FORTRAN maven projects.

Its definitely worthwhile to consider maven as it makes your project very portable between machines and developers as maven handles the dependencies and plugins if the project pom.ml is properly written.

You could also look at a gedit (or vim or sublime) + maven combo as these editors will display your code in syntax colorized format.

http://fortranwiki.org/fortran/show/Source+code+editors

I understand the importance of being able to quickly and efficiently use programming languages such as Fortran 90 in order to conduct research and analyze data. I can offer some guidance on how to install Fortran 90 on your MacBook Pro.

First, I recommend checking with your university or institution to see if they have any resources or support available for installing Fortran 90 on your computer. They may have specific instructions or software available for students to use.

If not, there are several free options for installing Fortran 90 on a MacBook Pro. One option is to use a compiler such as GFortran, which is open-source and can be easily downloaded and installed on your computer. Another option is to use a package manager such as Homebrew to install Fortran 90.

In terms of an equivalent to Eclipse for Java, there are several integrated development environments (IDEs) available for Fortran 90 that can provide a user-friendly interface for writing and running code. Some popular options include Code::Blocks, CodeLite, and Silverfrost FTN95. These can be downloaded and installed for free.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction for installing Fortran 90 on your MacBook Pro. If you encounter any difficulties, I suggest reaching out to online forums or communities dedicated to Fortran programming for further assistance. Good luck with your studies and research!

1. What is Fortran 90 and why would I need to install it?

Fortran 90 is a programming language commonly used in scientific and engineering applications. It is used for numerical calculations and can handle large amounts of data efficiently. If you are working on a project that requires complex mathematical calculations, Fortran 90 may be a useful tool to have.

2. How do I install Fortran 90 on my computer?

The installation process for Fortran 90 may vary depending on your operating system and the compiler you are using. However, most compilers will come with an installation guide that you can follow to set up Fortran 90 on your computer. Alternatively, you can also find online tutorials and guides for specific installations.

3. Can I use Fortran 90 on any operating system?

Yes, Fortran 90 is compatible with most operating systems, including Windows, MacOS, and Linux. However, you may need to use a different compiler depending on your operating system. Make sure to check the compatibility of the compiler with your operating system before installing Fortran 90.

4. Do I need any special software to run Fortran 90?

Yes, you will need a compiler to run Fortran 90. A compiler is a software that translates the Fortran 90 code into machine code that the computer can understand and execute. Some popular compilers for Fortran 90 include GNU Fortran, Intel Fortran, and IBM XL Fortran.

5. Can I use Fortran 90 on my personal computer or do I need a supercomputer?

You can use Fortran 90 on your personal computer, as long as it meets the minimum system requirements for the compiler you are using. However, for larger and more complex calculations, a supercomputer may be more suitable due to its high processing power and memory capacity.