Forum and Subforum Updates out of synch

• Thread starter Bystander
  • Start date
In summary, when browsing the main forum, a new post appears as a highlighted sub-forum and when I click the sub-forum, the post is not there. However, when I go out and update the post, it is there. My browser?hmmm I haven't experienced this.
Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Last couple of days (maybe a week?) browsing the main forum, a new post shows up as a highlighted sub-forum (everything's good so far) and when I hit the sub-forum, to read the new post it's not there. Go out, new post shows, go back in, still not there. Go out and update again, and it's there.
My browser?

Physics news on Phys.org
hmmm I haven't experienced this. When in doubt always try clearing your cache, cookies and restart the browser. Anyone else have this happen?

Greg Bernhardt said:
clearing your cache, cookies
Actually, that may be what's happening. You just jogged my memory enough. There has been some coincidence with ducking to other sites that trip some odd responses in the browser before I return to PF.

Greg Bernhardt said:
sub forum?
As in one of the FAQs, or Aero, Automotive? Highlight in HW, "Help with XXX," open HW, check all six and no "Help with XXX." Couple refreshes either on main forum header, or browser, and it shows up. I recall one software version you had that would "telegraph" posts as people were composing them, not content, just that a reply to a thread was in process, and thought that might be happening, but this hasn't been consistent.

Bystander said:
As in one of the FAQs, or Aero, Automotive? Highlight in HW, "Help with XXX," open HW, check all six and no "Help with XXX." Couple refreshes either on main forum header, or browser, and it shows up. I recall one software version you had that would "telegraph" posts as people were composing them, not content, just that a reply to a thread was in process, and thought that might be happening, but this hasn't been consistent.
hmmm ok, I just saw a new post on the homepage and clicked the forum and didn't see the thread, but it ended up being in the sub forum of the forum and I thought of you.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I thought of you.
It could be. Like the "extra" step at the foot, or head, of a flight of stairs. Some of us cannot walk and chew gum.

1. What does "Forum and Subforum Updates out of synch" mean?

When a forum and its subforums are out of sync, it means that there is a discrepancy between the updates made in the main forum and those made in its subforums.

2. How does "Forum and Subforum Updates out of synch" affect the forum users?

This issue can cause confusion and frustration among forum users, as they may see different information or discussions in the main forum and its subforums. This can also make it difficult to follow discussions across different sections of the forum.

3. What can cause "Forum and Subforum Updates out of synch"?

One possible cause is a technical glitch or error in the forum software. Another cause could be human error, such as accidentally posting a discussion in the wrong section of the forum.

4. How can "Forum and Subforum Updates out of synch" be fixed?

The best way to fix this issue is for the forum administrator to manually check and update the subforums to match the main forum. This may involve moving or merging discussions, or making adjustments to the forum settings.

5. How can "Forum and Subforum Updates out of synch" be prevented in the future?

To prevent this issue from happening again, it is important for forum moderators and users to carefully post and categorize discussions in the correct sections. Regular maintenance and updates by the forum administrator can also help keep the forum and its subforums in sync.