Found a small AC motor and am scared to touch it

In summary, an AC motor is an electrical device that converts AC into mechanical energy and is commonly used in household appliances, industrial machinery, and transportation vehicles. To determine if the motor is functioning, you can measure the voltage and resistance or connect it to a power source while taking proper safety precautions. While small AC motors can be dangerous, they can be safely handled as long as they are not connected to a power source. In most cases, small AC motors cannot be repaired and should be replaced to prevent further damage. To properly dispose of a small AC motor, you can check with your local waste management facility for guidelines or recycling programs.
Flyingwing12
I found this motor at a thrift shop and got it for free. I wired it up and found that it pulls a surprising .45 Amps. It also generates an amazingly effective magnetic field around it. I am scared to touch it with both hands.

It seems to have a small transformer... Probably makes some mean voltage.

AS I recall, it only takes about .1 A across the heart to KILL.

So can I touch it?

Thanks..

Attachments

• DSCN2767.jpg
    DSCN2767.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 379
  • DSCN2768.jpg
    DSCN2768.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 387
Engineering news on Phys.org
If you have to ask, then the answer is no, don't touch it. Thread closed.

1. What is an AC motor?

An AC motor is an electrical device that converts alternating current (AC) into mechanical energy. It is commonly used in household appliances, industrial machinery, and transportation vehicles.

2. How can I tell if the AC motor is still working?

To determine if the AC motor is still functioning, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and resistance of the motor. You can also try connecting the motor to a power source to see if it runs. However, it is important to take proper safety precautions and wear protective gear when handling the motor.

3. Is it dangerous to touch a small AC motor?

While AC motors can be dangerous if not handled properly, a small motor is unlikely to cause harm as long as it is not connected to a power source. However, it is always important to take precautions and wear protective gear when handling any electrical device.

4. Can a small AC motor be repaired?

In most cases, small AC motors cannot be repaired and should be replaced if they are not functioning properly. Attempting to repair the motor without proper knowledge and training can be dangerous and may cause further damage.

5. How should I dispose of a small AC motor?

It is important to properly dispose of a small AC motor to prevent any potential environmental hazards. You can check with your local waste management facility for specific guidelines on how to dispose of electronic devices. In some cases, they may even have a program for recycling old or broken motors.