Four assorted ODE questions

• MHB
  • Thread starter perlarb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the first problem asks which of the differential equations is/are non-linear and the correct answers are I and III. The second problem asks for a solution to a given DE and the correct answer is c. The third problem asks for the integrating factor of a given linear DE and the correct answer is c. The fourth problem asks for the other fundamental solution to a given DE and the correct answer is b.
perlarb
Hi, I need to do these for an exam and I can't find any way to solve them with what my professor has taught. If you can help me answer even just one of them I'd be very grateful!

1. Which of the differential equations is/are non linear?
a. Only I
b. Only II
c. Only I and III
d. Only II and IV
e. None of the above
View attachment 8462

2. Which is a solution to the following DE? yy'-yet=t2e2t
a. y=t2(et)
b. y= (t-1)et (Incorrect answer)
c. y= tet
d. y= (t+1)et
e. None of the above

3. For the linear DE xy'=x4ex+2y which of the following is an integrating factor 𝜇(x)?
a. x3
b. x-3
c. ex
d. xex
e. None of the above (My professor says this is NOT the correct answer).

4. Given that y1= x is a solutio to x2y''+xy'-y=0, x>0, Find the other fundamental solution.
a. y2=x-2
b. y2=x-1
c. y2=x
d. y2= x2 (Incorrect answer)
e. None of the above

Attachments

• ode.jpg
    ode.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 48
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first one, at least you just need to know the definition of "non-linear". Didn't your teacher mention that? In (I), the dependent function is y and sin(y) is not linear. In (III) the dependent variable is u and [tex]u_{xxy}u_{yy}[/tex], the product of two derivatives of u, is non-linear.

For problem 2, differentiate each of the given functions, put the functions and their derivatives into the equation and see if the equation is satisfied._

For problem 3, do you know what an "integrating factor" is? The given equation can be written [tex]xdy- (x^4e^x+ 2y)dx= 0[/tex]. An "integrating factor is a function f(x,y) such that [tex]f(x,y)x dy- f(x, y)(x^4e^x+ 2y)dx[/tex] is an "exact differential"- that is, that there exist F(x,y) such that [tex]dF= F_xdx+ F_ydy= f(x,y)x dy- f(x, y)(x^4e^x+ 2y)dx[/tex]. One of the conditions for that is that [tex](F_{x})_y= (f(x,y)x)_y= (f(x,yx^4e^x+ 2y)_x= (F_y)_x[/tex]. You can use that to derive a differential equation for f(x,y) but here, since you are given possible functions, the simplest thing to do is try each and see which works.

For problem 4, given that y(x)= x is a solution, try a solution of the form y= xu(x). Then y'= u+ xu' and y''= 2u'+ xu''. The differential equation becomes [tex]x^2y''+ xy'- y= 2x^2u'
+ x^3u''+ xu+ x^2u'- xu= x^3u''+ 3x^2u'= 0[/tex]. Notice that the "u" terms cancel- that is the result of the fact that x is a solution to the equation. If we let v= u', then the equation becomes [tex]x^3v'+ 3x^2v= 0[/tex]. That is separable- [tex]x^3(dv/dx)= -3x^2v[/tex] so that [tex](1/v)dv= (-3/x)dx[/tex]. Integrate both sides- that will give logarithms and then you can take the exponential to get v as a function of x. Integrate v to get u(x) and the other solution is Xu(x).

HOWEVER, again you are given a list of possible solutions. The simplest thing to do is to ignore the "y= x" hint, take the first and second derivatives of each of the given functions and see which actually satisfies the equation!

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model many natural and physical phenomena in science and engineering.

2. What are the types of ODEs?

There are several types of ODEs, including linear, nonlinear, first-order, and second-order. Linear ODEs have a linear relationship between the function and its derivatives, while nonlinear ODEs have a more complex relationship. First-order ODEs involve only the first derivative of the function, while second-order ODEs involve the second derivative.

3. How are ODEs solved?

ODEs can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors. The specific method used depends on the type of ODE and its complexity.

4. What are some real-world applications of ODEs?

ODEs are used to model a wide range of phenomena, including population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also commonly used in fields such as physics, biology, and economics.

5. What are the limitations of ODEs?

While ODEs are a powerful tool for modeling many systems, they have some limitations. They may not accurately represent systems with discontinuities or sharp changes, and they may not be able to account for external forces or disturbances. Additionally, some systems may require more complex equations, such as partial differential equations, to accurately model their behavior.