Fourier analysis & determination of Fourier Series

In summary, the function looks like it has an odd wave shape, but it is not odd because it has a 0 value at the center of the wave.
Jason-Li
Homework Statement
Sketch the waveform defined below and explain how you would obtain its fourier Series (I've attached the question. It's title is "wave.png"
Relevant Equations
As attached: It's title is "form.png"
ANY AND ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED :smile:
I have found old posts for this question however after reading through them several times I am having a hard time knowing where to start.

I am happy with the sketch that the function is correctly drawn and is neither odd nor even. It's title is "wave1.png"
Ao=0 as the average value of the function is 0. I have proven this from working through Ao = 1/π ∫ f(x) dx with my limits of π/2 & π and 3π/2 & 2π.

Bn & An are where I am struggling, I have worked through and got answers but I don't think they are correct but can't see another way. So I did as follows with x = ωt. The limits of each integration are again π & π/2 and 2π & 3π/2.

An = 1/π ∫ f(x)cos(nx) dx
An = 1/π ∫ sin(x)cos(nx) dx + 1/π ∫ sin(x)cos(nx) dx
An = 1/π ∫ ((sin(x+nx))+sin(x-nx))/2+1/π ∫ ((sin(x+nx))+sin(x-nx))/2
An = 1/2π [ (-cos(x+nx))/(1+n) - (cos(x-nx))/(1-n) ] + 1/2π [ (-cos(x+nx))/(1+n) - (cos(x-nx))/(1-n) ]
An = 1/2π [[ (-cos(π+nπ))/(1+n) - (cos(π-nπ))/(1-n) ] - [ (-cos(π/2+n*π/2)/(1+n) - (cos(π/2-nπ/2))/(1-n) ] + 1/2π [[ (-cos(2π+n2π))/(1+n) - (cos(2π-n2π))/(1-n) ] - [ (-cos(3π/2+n*3π/2)/(1+n) - (cos(3π/2-n3π/2))/(1-n) ]
An = 1/2π [-(-cos(nπ))/(1+n) - (-cos(nπ))/(1-n)] + 1/2π [-(cos(n2π))/(1+n) - (cos(n2π))/(1-n)]
An = 1/2π [(2cos(nπ))/(1-n^2) + 1/2π [(2cos(n2π))/(1-n^2)]
An = (cos(πn)) / (π (1-n^2)) + (cos(2πn)) / (π (1-n^2))
An = (cos(πn)+(cos(2πn)) / (π (1-n^2)) This doesn't seem correct?

Other people have Bn working out to 0 however I can't figure out how to start at all, I had an initially thought that as it resembles an odd wave (but isn't odd due to the 0 values) that it would still only have sine terms?

Thanks in advance for any help, it really is appreciated!

Attachments

• wave.png
    wave.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 189
  • wave1.png
    wave1.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 185
  • form.png
    form.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does that describe the entire signal, or does it repeat? If it does repeat, then what will it look like from negative 2* pi to zero (in sections)

scottdave said:
Does that describe the entire signal, or does it repeat? If it does repeat, then what will it look like from negative 2* pi to zero (in sections)

I am assuming that it would repeat? There is no symmetry that I can see? It would be odd if there was no 'missing' parts of the wave however
1580744832802.png

Thanks for the reply

1. What is Fourier analysis and why is it important?

Fourier analysis is a mathematical technique used to decompose a complex signal or function into simpler sinusoidal components. This allows us to understand the behavior and characteristics of the original signal in a more manageable way. It is important in a wide range of fields, including signal processing, image processing, and data analysis.

2. What is the Fourier Series and how is it used?

The Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as an infinite sum of sinusoidal functions. It is used to approximate and analyze periodic signals, such as sound waves or electrical signals. By using the Fourier Series, we can break down a complex periodic signal into its individual frequency components and understand its behavior.

3. How is the Fourier Series determined?

The Fourier Series is determined by using a mathematical formula, known as the Fourier Series formula, which calculates the coefficients of the sinusoidal components. These coefficients are then used to construct the Fourier Series representation of the original signal. The process involves integrating the original signal over one period and solving for the coefficients.

4. What is the difference between the Fourier Series and the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Series is used for analyzing periodic signals, while the Fourier Transform is used for analyzing non-periodic signals. The Fourier Transform is a continuous version of the Fourier Series, where the signal is represented as a continuous spectrum of frequencies rather than individual components. The Fourier Transform is also defined for a broader class of functions, including non-periodic and aperiodic functions.

5. How is Fourier analysis applied in real-world applications?

Fourier analysis has a wide range of applications in different fields. In signal processing, it is used for filtering, noise reduction, and compression. In image processing, it is used for image enhancement and feature extraction. In physics and engineering, it is used to analyze the behavior of complex systems and solve differential equations. In mathematics and statistics, it is used for data analysis and pattern recognition. Overall, Fourier analysis is a powerful tool for understanding and manipulating signals and functions in various applications.