Fourier series neither odd nor even

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the Fourier Series for a periodic signal defined as y=x for 0<x<2π and y=0 for 2π≤x<3π. The formula used is cn/2 + ∑k=1k=∞(cn)cos(kwοt+θk), where cn=2|Fn| and θk=-kwοt. However, the problem arises when k disappears from the summation, making it difficult to regenerate the original signal using Matlab. The suggestion is to use a more general Fourier series with both sine and cosine terms to better represent the function. It is noted that the function is neither odd nor even, so it must be
Nemo's

Homework Statement

I'm trying to calculate the Fourier Series for a periodic signal defined as:

y = x 0<x<2Π
y = 0 2Π≤x<3Π

Homework Equations

Fn = 1/T ∫T f(t)cos(kwοt + θk)[/B]
cn/2 + ∑k=1k=∞(cn)cos(kwοt+θk)
cn= 2|Fn|
θk=∠Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

I got Cn = -(√3/ +9/4Π)
θk = -kwοt

The problem with this value for θk is that k disappears from the summation. I need this formula to be able to regenerate the original signal from it's Fourier series coefficients using matlab. I must be doing something wrong. I would really appreciate it if someone told me what to do.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try using a more general Fourier series with both sine and cosine in it.
Looking at your function - is it better served by a sum of cosines or a sum of sines?

Simon Bridge said:
Try using a more general Fourier series with both sine and cosine in it.
Looking at your function - is it better served by a sum of cosines or a sum of sines?
My function is neither odd nor even so it has to be represented using both sines and cosines right?
I thought the formula I'm using above works fine for all real functions. In fact the first part of the question asked me to prove this.
I'll try using the general form anyway and post the results.

Nemo's said:
My function is neither odd nor even so it has to be represented using both sines and cosines right?
I thought the formula I'm using above works fine for all real functions.
You're quite right, in that form it can represent any real periodic function.
But you haven't defined your function too well. Does it repeat below x=0 and above x=3pi?

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It allows for the decomposition of a complex function into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and manipulate.

2. How is a Fourier series classified as neither odd nor even?

A Fourier series is classified as neither odd nor even because it can contain both odd and even terms. This means that the function being represented is neither symmetric nor anti-symmetric.

3. What is the difference between odd and even terms in a Fourier series?

Odd terms in a Fourier series have a sine function as their coefficient, while even terms have a cosine function as their coefficient. This results in different types of symmetry in the function being represented.

4. Can a Fourier series have both odd and even symmetry?

Yes, a Fourier series can have both odd and even symmetry. This occurs when the function being represented has both odd and even components, resulting in a combination of sine and cosine terms in the series.

5. Why is it important to understand the symmetry of a Fourier series?

Understanding the symmetry of a Fourier series can help in simplifying and analyzing complex functions. It also allows for the identification of patterns and relationships between different terms in the series, making it easier to manipulate and solve mathematical problems.