Fourier Series - Am I Crazy or is My Teacher Tricking Me?

In summary: I plugged in
mundane
I am SO annoyed with this problem. Ready to jump out a window.

Homework Statement

Find the first three terms of the Fourier series that approximates f(θ) = tan(θ) from θ = -π/2 to π/2.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I know that for an equation on [[itex]\frac{-b}{2}[/itex], [itex]\frac{b}{2}[/itex]], to define the Fourier series for that equation we use f(x)={a0+a1cosx+a2cos2x+ ... +b1sinx+b2sin2x+ ...}

I only need to find the first three terms, so its just a0+a1cosx+b1sinx.

a0 is defined as [itex]\frac{1}{\pi}[/itex][itex]\int\f(x)dx[/itex] definite integral from -π/2 to π/2.

a1 is defined as [itex]\frac{2}{\pi}[/itex][itex]\int\f(x)cos(2πx/π)dx[/itex] definite integral from -π/2 to π/2.

b1 is defined as [itex]\frac{2}{\pi}[/itex][itex]\int\f(x)sin(2πx/π)dx[/itex] definite integral from -π/2 to π/2.

For a0, my antiderivative was -log(cos(x)). After substitution, a0=0.

For a1, my antiderivative was log(cos(x))-(1/2)cos(2x). After substitution, a1=0.

I have not done b1 yet. Am I being trolled?

Does this ave something to do with the fact that tan(x) is undefined at those two interval points? Am I going in the wrong direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Those red f(x) should have no forward slash before them, sorry.

Actually, you should have expected those two. tan x is an odd function, so you should expect all of the coefficients on the cosines to be 0 (because those terms give you the even part of the function).

I know, but I had to show my work, I knew it was coming but thought maybe I was missing something.

For b1, I got π. So my first three terms are 0+(0)cosx+πsinx?

That's a horrendous approximation... Is that right?

Did you remember the constant out front?

The approximation is going to have to be bad, given the shape of sine and tangent. I don't use Fourier series enough to know whether or not I should have expected b1=1.

Are you sure your professor didn't mean for you to compute b1 through b3?

Actually, aren't your basis functions supposed to be cos 2x, cos 4x, cos 6x, ... and sin 2x, sin 4x, sin 6x, ...?

No, they aren't supposed to be that... does this look alright though?

I plugged your integral into wolframalpha, and I got a different number.

I'll say it one more time, since I'm not convinced: are you really, really sure that, e.g., a1 cos x is supposed to be one of the terms, despite the fact it's period does not divide pi and your formula for computing a1 doesn't involve cos x?

Hurkyl said:
I plugged your integral into wolframalpha, and I got a different number.

I'll say it one more time, since I'm not convinced: are you really, really sure that, e.g., a1 cos x is supposed to be one of the terms, despite the fact it's period does not divide pi and your formula for computing a1 doesn't involve cos x?

I am looking at my book right now. It says that is the formula. We have done plenty of these in class, and have always used that. What integral did you plug in, and what did you get?I am getting the same numbers.

I did make a mistake though. b1 should be (2/pi)(pi), so it should be 2, not pi. I forgot to multiply it, I think you may have said that if I understood your last comment.,,?

Related to Fourier Series - Am I Crazy or is My Teacher Tricking Me?

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is commonly used in the study of waves and vibrations, and has applications in various fields such as signal processing and heat transfer.

2. How is a Fourier series calculated?

A Fourier series is calculated by decomposing a given periodic function into its component frequencies using the Fourier transform, and then expressing it as a sum of sinusoidal functions with different amplitudes and phases.

3. Why is a Fourier series important?

A Fourier series is important because it allows us to analyze and understand complex periodic functions in terms of simpler sinusoidal functions. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

4. Is it difficult to understand Fourier series?

The concept of Fourier series can be challenging to grasp at first, but with practice and a solid understanding of trigonometry and calculus, it can become more intuitive. Many resources, including online tutorials and textbooks, are available to help with understanding and applying Fourier series.

5. Can my teacher be tricking me with Fourier series?

No, your teacher is not trying to trick you with Fourier series. It is a well-established mathematical concept with numerous real-world applications. If you have any doubts or confusion, it is always helpful to ask for clarification from your teacher or seek additional resources for further understanding.