Fourier Series coefficients, orthogonal?

In summary, the conversation is about the use of the Dirac delta function in the orthogonality relationship for Fourier series coefficients and the attempt to derive it using complex form instead of sines and cosines. The homework equation for this proof is given and the individual has not made much progress and is seeking help. The expert suggests assuming m and n are integers and then proceeding with the integration to obtain the solution. The individual then confirms that they have successfully solved the problem.
Dollydaggerxo

Homework Statement

Hello. I need help with orthogonality of the Fourier series coefficients. I know you can use the dirac delta function, (or the kronecker function) in the orthogonality relationship. I want to try and see the derivation using complex form rather than sines and cosines.

Homework Equations

proof of
[itex]\frac{1}{T}\int^T_0 e^{inw_0t}e^{-imw_0t} dt = \delta_{m}{n}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I haven't got very far, do not know where to start in this proof. any help would be appreciated?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviously, m and n must be integers, which makes things really easy. Just assume m=n, do the integration and write down what you get. Then assume [itex] m \neq n [/itex], do the integration and write down what you get.

Okay I have got it. Thanks!

Last edited:

Related to Fourier Series coefficients, orthogonal?

1. What are Fourier Series coefficients?

Fourier Series coefficients are the numerical values that represent the contribution of each harmonic frequency to a periodic function. They are calculated using the Fourier series formula and represent the amplitude and phase of each harmonic component.

2. How are Fourier Series coefficients calculated?

Fourier Series coefficients are calculated using the Fourier series formula, which involves integrating the periodic function over one period and then multiplying it by a trigonometric function. This process is repeated for each harmonic frequency to obtain the coefficients.

3. What is the significance of orthogonal in relation to Fourier Series coefficients?

Orthogonal refers to the mathematical property of two functions being perpendicular to each other. In the context of Fourier Series coefficients, it means that the trigonometric functions used in the calculation of the coefficients are perpendicular to each other, making the calculation more efficient and accurate.

4. How do Fourier Series coefficients relate to the frequency spectrum of a signal?

Fourier Series coefficients represent the individual harmonic frequencies present in a periodic function. These frequencies can be organized into a frequency spectrum, which shows the amplitude of each frequency component. Therefore, Fourier Series coefficients can help to analyze the frequency content of a signal.

5. Can Fourier Series coefficients be applied to non-periodic functions?

No, Fourier Series coefficients are only applicable to periodic functions. For non-periodic functions, the Fourier transform can be used to represent the frequency content. However, in certain cases, the Fourier Series can be used as an approximation for non-periodic functions.