Fourier series - DC component, integration problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Fourier series representation of a piecewise function with period T=2∏. The user is struggling with calculating the DC component, a0, and is unsure if their graph and integration are correct. They also discuss the different formulas for a0 and the importance of being consistent. Ultimately, the correct value for a0 is determined to be pi/4.
DrOnline

Homework Statement

Find the Fourier series representation of:

f(t)={-t , -∏<t<0
f(t)={0 , 0<t<∏

This is a piecewise function.

T=2∏ (the period)

Homework Equations

[tex]a_{0}=\frac{2}{T}*\int_0^T f(t),dt[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help only with calculating the DC component. Once I get that working, I can continue on my own. Tried multiple times, I keep getting pi/2.

The correct answer should be pi/4.

This is my graph:
hzRy6UY.jpg

Is this graph correct?

I consider the area of the function from -pi to 0 identical if I change it from:

f(t)=-t -∏<t<0

to

f(t)=t 0<t<∏

Is this permitted? Surely it's the same result. Seems alright to me

[tex]a_{0}=\frac{2}{2\pi}*\int_0^∏ -t,dt[/tex]

[tex]a_{0}=\frac{1}{\pi}*(\frac{\pi^2}{2}-0)[/tex]

[tex]a_{0}=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

And the book says it should be pi/4.

What am I doing wrong? Is my graph correct? Is my integration correct? Is the book's solution wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I figured it out... my a0 seems correct to be ∏/2,

but when I type out the actual Fourier series, the formula is:

a0/2, making it ∏/4.

If anybody wants to confirm my thinking, that would be helpful!

Textbooks are not consistent on the formula for ##a_0## because some formulas assume the constant term in the series is ##a_0## and some use ##\frac {a_0} 2##, which causes the formula for ##a_0## to differ by ##2##. As long as you are consistent, you should be OK. But there is no need to go to a different interval than that where the function is given. If the constant term of the series is ##a_0## and the period is ##2p## then$$
a_0 = \frac 1 {2p}\int_{-p}^p f(t)\, dt = \frac 1 {2\pi}\left(\int_{-\pi}^0 -t\, dt
+\int_{-\pi}^0 0\, dt\right) = \frac \pi 4$$

Thank you for helping me with this!

I think perhaps an error has snuck into your maths though, because you write:

[tex]a_{0}=\frac{1}{2p}...=\frac{1}{2\pi}...[/tex]

But p=2∏, so it should be [tex]a_{0}=\frac{1}{4\pi}[/tex] using your formula.

Can you comment on this?

I understand how there are different formulas though, as you say, when I created the question I hadn't realized that I had to divide it by 2 again, but when I did I wanted somebody to confirm my logic.

I also understand, of course, that I don't have to tinker with the range and function, but that saved me having to deal with negative values etc, I should stick with the actual function though, I have to be at a level where that kind of thing doesn't phase me.

LCKurtz said:
. If the constant term of the series is ##a_0## and the period is ##2p## then$$
a_0 = \frac 1 {2p}\int_{-p}^p f(t)\, dt = \frac 1 {2\pi}\left(\int_{-\pi}^0 -t\, dt
+\int_{-\pi}^0 0\, dt\right) = \frac \pi 4$$

DrOnline said:
Thank you for helping me with this!

I think perhaps an error has snuck into your maths though, because you write:

[tex]a_{0}=\frac{1}{2p}...=\frac{1}{2\pi}...[/tex]

But p=2∏, so it should be [tex]a_{0}=\frac{1}{4\pi}[/tex] using your formula.

Can you comment on this?

No, I said the period was ##2p## so ##p=\pi## in your case. And when you do the integral you will have a ##t^2## in the numerator with a limit of ##-\pi## which will give a ##\pi^2## in the numerator.

Yes of course, I was too quick in reading there, thanks again!

Related to Fourier series - DC component, integration problem

1. What is a DC component in a Fourier series?

A DC component, also known as a constant or average term, is the part of a Fourier series that does not vary with time. It represents the average value of a periodic signal over one period. In mathematical terms, it is the coefficient of the zeroth harmonic in the Fourier series.

2. How is the DC component calculated in a Fourier series?

The DC component can be calculated by taking the average value of the periodic signal over one period. This can be done by integrating the signal over one period and dividing by the period length.

3. Why is the DC component important in a Fourier series?

The DC component represents the steady-state value of a periodic signal, which is often the most significant part of the signal. It is also used to find the average power and the average value of a signal, making it an important component in many applications.

4. What is an integration problem in a Fourier series?

An integration problem in a Fourier series refers to the difficulty in finding the coefficients of the Fourier series when the periodic signal is not known explicitly. This often requires solving integrals or using numerical methods to estimate the coefficients.

5. How can integration problems be solved in a Fourier series?

Integration problems in a Fourier series can be solved using various techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, and numerical methods like the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods can help to find the coefficients of the Fourier series when the periodic signal is not known explicitly.