Fourier transform between variables of different domains

In summary: But, ##f(0) = 1/2 \neq F(0) = 0## and ##f(1) = 1/2 \neq F(1) = 0##.In summary, The student is asking for help with understanding how to construct an inverse Fourier transform for a given explicit function ##q(x)##, and is unsure if their reasoning is correct. They propose a substitution and use the inverse Fourier transform formula to find ##C_q(z)##.
alec_grunn
I'm doing a research project over the summer, and need some help understanding how to construct an inverse Fourier transform (I have v. little prior experience with them).

1. Homework Statement

I know the explicit form of ##q(x)##, where
$$ q(x) = \frac{M}{2 \pi} \int _{- \infty}^{\infty} dz e^{-iMxz} C_q(z)
$$
and want to find ##C_q(z)## using an inverse Fourier transform. As far as I can tell, there's no simple relationship between ##z## and ##x##. And the domain of ##x## is ##[0,1]##.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Explicit form of ##q(x)##: ##q(x) = x^{1/5}(1-x)^3##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I would start with a substitution, since ##z## and ##M## are independent: ##\mu = Mz##. Therefore,
$$q(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int _{- \infty}^{\infty} d\mu e^{-ix\mu} \tilde{C}_{q}(\mu)
$$
And from this relation I use the inverse Fourier transform to get
$$\tilde{C}_{q}(\mu) = \int _{0}^{1} dx e^{ix\mu} q(x)
$$
$$ \Rightarrow \quad C_{q}(z) = \int _{0}^{1} dx e^{iMxz} q(x)
$$
Is this reasoning sound? Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
alec_grunn said:
I'm doing a research project over the summer, and need some help understanding how to construct an inverse Fourier transform (I have v. little prior experience with them).

1. Homework Statement

I know the explicit form of ##q(x)##, where
$$ q(x) = \frac{M}{2 \pi} \int _{- \infty}^{\infty} dz e^{-iMxz} C_q(z)
$$
and want to find ##C_q(z)## using an inverse Fourier transform. As far as I can tell, there's no simple relationship between ##z## and ##x##. And the domain of ##x## is ##[0,1]##.

Homework Equations

[/B]
Explicit form of ##q(x)##: ##q(x) = x^{1/5}(1-x)^3##.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I would start with a substitution, since ##z## and ##M## are independent: ##\mu = Mz##. Therefore,
$$q(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int _{- \infty}^{\infty} d\mu e^{-ix\mu} \tilde{C}_{q}(\mu)
$$
And from this relation I use the inverse Fourier transform to get
$$\tilde{C}_{q}(\mu) = \int _{0}^{1} dx e^{ix\mu} q(x)
$$
$$ \Rightarrow \quad C_{q}(z) = \int _{0}^{1} dx e^{iMxz} q(x)
$$
Is this reasoning sound? Any help is appreciated.
Do you mean
$$q(x) = \begin{cases}
0 & x < 0 \\
x^{1/5}(1-x)^3 & 0 \leq x \leq 1 \\
0 & x > 1
\end{cases}
$$
If so, the Fourier transform is
$$F(k) = \int_0^1 e^{ikx} q(x) \, dx$$
and the inverse Fourier transform is
$$q(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-ikx} F(k) \, dk$$

If you do everything correctly the inverse Fourier transform should evaluate to ##0## if ##x < 0## or ##x > 1##, and to ##x^{1/5}(1-x)^3## if ##0 \leq x \leq 1##.

To see what is happening, look at the simpler example of
$$
f(x) = \begin{cases}
0, & x< 0 \\
1, & 0 \leq x \leq 1 \\
0, & x > 1
\end{cases}
$$
Computing ##g(k) = \int_0^1 e^{i k x} \, dx## is easy, and inverting to get
$$F(x) = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} g(k) e^{-ikx} \, dk$$
is also relatively straightforward. You will find that ##F(x) = 0## for ##x<0 \; \text{or} \; x>1##, and ##F(x) = 1## for ##0 < x < 1##.

However, the values of ##F(x)## at ##x=0## and at ##x=1## may differ from ##f(0)## and ##f(1)## for the usual reasons about the values of Fourier series/integrals at discontinuity points.

In fact:
$$F(x) = \begin{cases}
0,& x < 0 \\
1/2, & x = 0 \\
1, & 0 < x < 1 \\
1/2, & x=1 \\
0 , & x > 1
\end{cases}
$$
Thus, ##f(x) = f(x),\, x \neq 0,1##.

Last edited:

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical tool used to analyze signals and functions by decomposing them into their constituent frequencies. It is commonly used in fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering to understand the frequency components of a signal.

2. How does a Fourier transform work?

A Fourier transform works by breaking down a function or signal into an infinite sum of sines and cosines of different frequencies. This allows us to see the frequency components of the signal and understand the overall behavior of the function or signal.

3. What is the difference between a Fourier transform and an inverse Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform converts a function from the time domain to the frequency domain, while an inverse Fourier transform converts a function from the frequency domain back to the time domain. Essentially, a Fourier transform decomposes a signal into its frequency components, while an inverse Fourier transform reconstructs the signal from its frequency components.

4. Can a Fourier transform be used for signals of different domains?

Yes, a Fourier transform can be used for signals of different domains, such as signals in the time domain and signals in the spatial domain. In fact, the Fourier transform is a powerful tool for analyzing and understanding signals in various domains.

5. What are some practical applications of a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform has many practical applications, including signal processing, image processing, data compression, and solving differential equations. It is also used in fields such as astronomy, chemistry, and biology to analyze signals and data in various domains.