Fourier Transform for 3rd kind of boundary conditions?

In summary, the conversation discusses an online course discussing analytical mathematics in geology, specifically a modified Fourier transform formula that can incorporate 3rd kind of boundary conditions. The formula involves the use of the Fourier operator, and has an operational property. The speaker is looking for a detailed derivation of this formula in literature, and suggests using integration by parts twice.
Atr cheema
I am studying online course notes from University of Waterloo on 'Analytical mathematics in geology' in which the author describes a 'modified Fourier transform' which can be used to incorporate 3rd kind of boundary conditions. The formula is
## \Gamma \small[ f(x) \small] = \bar{f}(a) = \int_{0}^{\infty } f(x) [a \cos(ax) + h\sin(ax)] dx ##
where $$ \Gamma $$ be the Fourier operator.
with operational property

##\Gamma [\frac{d^2f}{dx^2}] = -a^2 \bar{f}(a) - a [ \frac{df}{dx}|_{x=0} - hf|_{x=0} ]##

I am trying to look for the detailed derivation of this equation in literature but have not found so far! Can anybody tell me in which book I can find detailed derivation of this formula and possibly with application?

Physics news on Phys.org
Atr cheema said:
I am studying online course notes from University of Waterloo on 'Analytical mathematics in geology' in which the author describes a 'modified Fourier transform' which can be used to incorporate 3rd kind of boundary conditions. The formula is
## \Gamma \small[ f(x) \small] = \bar{f}(a) = \int_{0}^{\infty } f(x) [a \cos(ax) + h\sin(ax)] dx ##
where $$ \Gamma $$ be the Fourier operator.
with operational property

##\Gamma [\frac{d^2f}{dx^2}] = -a^2 \bar{f}(a) - a [ \frac{df}{dx}|_{x=0} - hf|_{x=0} ]##

I am trying to look for the detailed derivation of this equation in literature but have not found so far! Can anybody tell me in which book I can find detailed derivation of this formula and possibly with application?

The formula is straightforward to derive it by adopting your definition of ##\Gamma## for ##d^2/dx^2## and using integration by parts twice. How you tried to derive the formula yourself?

1. What are the different types of boundary conditions that can be applied in a Fourier Transform?

There are three types of boundary conditions that can be applied in a Fourier Transform: Dirichlet boundary conditions, Neumann boundary conditions, and mixed boundary conditions (also known as third kind boundary conditions).

2. How do third kind boundary conditions differ from Dirichlet and Neumann boundary conditions?

Third kind boundary conditions involve a combination of both Dirichlet and Neumann boundary conditions. This means that the function and its derivative are specified at the boundary, rather than just the function (Dirichlet) or its derivative (Neumann).

3. What is the mathematical representation of third kind boundary conditions in a Fourier Transform?

In a Fourier Transform, third kind boundary conditions can be represented as a linear combination of the Dirichlet and Neumann boundary conditions. This can be written as f(x) = αg(x) + βg'(x), where α and β are constants.

4. Can third kind boundary conditions be applied in all types of Fourier Transforms?

Yes, third kind boundary conditions can be applied in all types of Fourier Transforms, including discrete, continuous, and multidimensional transforms.

5. What are some practical applications of Fourier Transform with third kind boundary conditions?

One practical application of Fourier Transform with third kind boundary conditions is in solving differential equations with mixed boundary conditions, such as in heat transfer problems. It is also used in image processing and signal analysis, where boundary conditions can be a combination of known and unknown values.