Fourier Transform of the Wave Eq.

In summary: Anyway, you can plug in t = 0 to get rid of the t-dependence in the equation for \tilde{u}. The equation you had is correct, but the second derivative is not.
Haths
Given;

[tex]
\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}} = \frac{1}{c^{2}} \frac{d^{2}u}{dt^{2}}
[/tex]

and;

[tex]
u(x,0) = \phi (x)
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{d^{2}u(x,0)}{dt^{2}} = \theta(x)
[/tex]

Show that the Fourier Transform of the u(x,t) w.r.t. to x is;

[tex]
\tilde{u}(k,t) = \tilde{\phi} (k) cos(ckt) + \frac{\tilde{\theta(k)}}{ck} sin(ckt)
[/tex]

My attempt at the question

Well I know I can FT both sides in the following way;

[tex]
\tilde{F}[ \frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}} ] = \frac{1}{c^{2}} \tilde{F}[ \frac{d^{2}u}{dt^{2}} ]
[/tex]

L.H.S.

[tex]
\tilde{F}[ \frac{d}{dx} \frac{du}{dx} ] = ik \tilde{F}[ \frac{du}{dt} ]
[/tex]

[tex]
\therefore
[/tex]

[tex]
\tilde{F}[ \frac{d}{dx} \frac{du}{dx} ] = -k^{2} \tilde{F}[ u ]
[/tex]

Where i was the imaginary number i. Thus leaving me with;

[tex]
-k^{2} \tilde{F}[ u ] = \frac{1}{c^{2}} \tilde{F}[ \frac{d^{2}u}{dt^{2}} ]
[/tex]

From here I'm not sure what to do (to be frank I'm not even sure I know precisely what the questuon is asking so bear with me). Oh the d's should be partial derivatives, hence I reason that because t is just a parameter value I can take the second derivative out of the R.H.S. of the last eq. thus leaving me with an F;

[tex]
-k^{2} \tilde{F}[ u ] = \frac{1}{c^{2}} \frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}} \tilde{F}[ u ]
[/tex]

[tex]
-k^{2}c^{2} = \frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}}
[/tex]

Which looks so tantilisingly close to the wave equation it appears be on the right track. Of course I want the wave equation because I know that the general solution is given in terms of a sum of a sin and cos wave;

[tex]
\tilde{u}(k,t) = A cos(kct) + B sin(kct)
[/tex]

Now because k is the my Fourier coeffecient. I guess that makes the second time derivative 1 equation back on the R.H.S. one with respect to k. Hence why I can write the above equation. Yes or no?

If Yes, how do I present a mathamatical argument that get's me from my A and B constants to the functions of theta and phi?

If no, why is this wrong, and how do I go about getting to the solution?

Thanks.

PS: Why aren't the formula coming up quite right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Haths said:
[tex]-k^{2} \tilde{F}[ u ] = \frac{1}{c^{2}} \frac{d^{2}}{dt^{2}} \tilde{F}[ u ][/tex]
This is a differential equation you can solve for [itex]\tilde{u}(k,t)[/itex], giving you...
[tex]\tilde{u}(k,t) = A \cos(kct) + B \sin(kct)[/tex]
where A and B don't depend on t but can depend on k. So now use the initial conditions to determine what A and B are.

Haths said:
[tex]\frac{d^{2}u(x,0)}{dt^{2}} = \theta(x)[/tex]
Is this really supposed to be the second derivative? I think it should be only the first.

Related to Fourier Transform of the Wave Eq.

1. What is the Fourier Transform of the Wave Equation?

The Fourier Transform of the Wave Equation is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function of time or space into its constituent frequencies, allowing us to analyze the frequency components of a wave or signal. It is often used in physics and engineering to study the behavior of waves and in signal processing to analyze and filter signals.

2. How is the Fourier Transform of the Wave Equation used in practical applications?

The Fourier Transform of the Wave Equation has many practical applications in various fields, including signal processing, image processing, acoustics, and optics. It is used for analyzing and filtering signals, designing filters and equalizers, and understanding the behavior of waves in different physical systems.

3. What is the relationship between the Fourier Transform and the Wave Equation?

The Fourier Transform of the Wave Equation is a mathematical representation of the Wave Equation. It shows how a wave can be decomposed into its constituent frequencies and how those frequencies interact with each other to form the wave. In other words, the Fourier Transform provides a frequency-domain description of the time or space-domain wave equation.

4. Can the Fourier Transform of the Wave Equation be applied to any type of wave?

Yes, the Fourier Transform of the Wave Equation can be applied to any type of wave, as long as the wave is described by a function of time or space. It is commonly used to analyze and understand electromagnetic waves, sound waves, and mechanical waves, but it can also be applied to other types of waves such as water waves or seismic waves.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using the Fourier Transform of the Wave Equation?

While the Fourier Transform of the Wave Equation is a powerful tool for analyzing and understanding waves, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the wave is periodic and infinite, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. Additionally, the Fourier Transform cannot accurately represent sharp spikes or discontinuities in a wave, and it may introduce some error when applied to discrete or non-uniformly sampled signals.