Fractional distillation calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses a super cooled cylinder containing a mixture of hydrogen and helium at a pressure of 100,000 Pascal's. The goal is to separate the helium by cooling the gas to 4.21 Kelvin, but it is noted that some hydrogen will still evaporate at this temperature. The formulas used to find the amount of hydrogen that will evaporate and to determine the purity of the resulting hydrogen are also mentioned, including the relationship between vapour pressure and temperature and the ideal gas law.
Umar Awan
Say I have got a super cooled cylinder of half hydrogen and half helium. This cylinder has a pressure of 100,000 Pascal's. At this pressure, hydrogen boils at 20 Kelvin and helium at 4.21 Kelvin. I hope to separate helium by cooling gas down to 4.21 Kelvin but I know that even at the temperature, some hydrogen will still evaporate.

I hope you can introduce me to the formulas used to find the amount of hydrogen that will evaporate along with helium, therefore allowing me to find the purity of the hydrogen I will have obtained.

Please do not be discouraged with having to teach me basic physics if it's called for.

The vapour pressure depends on temperature like
##p=p_0 \exp(-\Delta H/ (1/T-1/T_0))## where ##\Delta H## is the enthalpy (or heat) of vapourisation, T absolute temperature, ##T_0## absolute temperature at boiling point, ##p_0## the vapour pressure at boiling point (i.e. 1000hPa) and R the gas constant.
For an ideal mixture, the vapour pressure is ##p=x_1 p_1 +x_2 p_2## where ##p_1## and ##p_2## are the vapour pressures of the pure components while ##x_1## and ##x_2## are the molar fractions of the two components in the mixture. The concentration of component 1 or 2 can be calculated from the ideal gas law, e.g. ##c_1=n_1/V=p_1/RT##.

1. What is fractional distillation?

Fractional distillation is a process used to separate a mixture of liquids with different boiling points. It involves heating the mixture to its boiling point and then condensing the vapors to collect the individual components.

2. How does fractional distillation work?

Fractional distillation works by taking advantage of the different boiling points of the components in a mixture. The mixture is heated to a temperature above the boiling point of the lowest boiling component, causing it to vaporize. The vapor is then cooled and condensed back into liquid form, which is collected and separated. This process is repeated for each component with a higher boiling point until all components are collected.

3. What are the key factors in calculating the efficiency of fractional distillation?

The efficiency of fractional distillation is determined by several factors including the boiling points of the components, the rate of heating, the rate of cooling, and the number of theoretical plates in the distillation column. Theoretical plates refer to the number of vaporization and condensation stages that occur during the distillation process.

4. What is the purpose of calculating the number of theoretical plates in fractional distillation?

Calculating the number of theoretical plates is important in determining the efficiency of the distillation process. It allows scientists to optimize the process by adjusting the rate of heating and cooling to achieve the desired separation. It also helps in predicting the number of distillation stages needed to obtain a certain level of purity in the separated components.

5. How is the boiling point of a mixture determined in fractional distillation calculations?

The boiling point of a mixture is determined by plotting a temperature versus time graph during the distillation process. The boiling point is the temperature at which the temperature plateau occurs, indicating that the vapor is enriched with the component with the lowest boiling point. This temperature is then used to calculate the number of theoretical plates needed for efficient separation.