Fracture Mechanics: Proving Stress Intensity Factor Superposition Principle

In summary, the superposition principle of stress intensity factors is being tested using a flat plate model with a surface crack. The results obtained from boundary loading match the reference solutions, but the results from crack face loading show fluctuations. This could be due to inaccurate modeling of the crack geometry, loading, mesh density, or material properties. Further comparison with analytical solutions could help determine the cause of the fluctuating SIFs.
phyo_myatk
TL;DR Summary
I am calculating Stress Intensity Factors (SIFs) of a flat plate by using the superposition principle (photo attached). Although I have succeded in some FE models, the results are strange for some models. The stress intensity factors are having fluctuations. I would like to know your opinion on this matter. Please have a look at the details. Thank you very much!
I am trying to prove the superposition principle of stress intensity factors (SIFs). The superposition principle states that the stress intensity factors obtained from the boundary loading are equal to those obtained from the crack face traction loading.

I used a flat plate model with the size of (L=124mm, W=50mm, H=22mm). The flat plate has a surface crack at the center (crack length=9mm, crack depth=3.5mm). I used WARP3D open-source code for SIF analysis.

Firstly, the loading is applied at the boundary of the model. And the SIF is calculated under the applied loading. The results (mentioned as case_1 in the figure)obtained for this case are correct compared to the reference solutions.

And then, the same FE model is used for crack face loading. The model is completely the same except for the loading condition. The input is also the same as the previous case. But, the SIF results for this crack face loading are having fluctuations along the crack front (results are mentioned as case_3 in the attached figures).

Firstly, I thought there is an error with the FE modeling. So, I checked the models again, and also tried to regenerate the new models from scratch. The solutions give the same behavior.
Secondly, I checked the functionality of source code, WARP3dD. The codes work fine for the other models.

Thirdly, I also tried other models including flat plates and welded joints. In some cases, the principle is correct. But, in some cases, the solutions for crack face loading conditions are fluctuating.
Finally, I checked if there is any non-uniform stress distribution on the crack face. But, the fluctuations are regardless of loading conditions. Even though the loadings are uniform (in case of flat plate), the SIFs are still fluctuating.

Please let me know your opinion on this matter. I would really appreciate your help.

Attachments

• example_problem_1.PNG
    example_problem_1.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 203
  • example_problem_2.PNG
    example_problem_2.PNG
    9.5 KB · Views: 211
Engineering news on Phys.org
One possible explanation for the fluctuating SIFs could be that the crack face loading is not being accurately modeled. In order to accurately model the crack face loading, it is necessary to account for the details of the crack geometry, such as the angle and depth of the crack. Furthermore, the loading should be applied in a manner that accounts for the stress concentration around the crack tip. It is also possible that the mesh density is not sufficient near the crack tip, which could lead to inaccurate results. Finally, the material properties should also be accurately modeled in order to obtain accurate results. To better understand the cause of the fluctuating SIFs, it may be useful to compare the results obtained from a finite element model with analytical solutions. This would allow you to identify any discrepancies between the two solutions and determine if the fluctuating SIFs are due to modeling errors or numerical inaccuracies.

1. What is fracture mechanics?

Fracture mechanics is a branch of engineering that studies the behavior of materials under stress and how they respond to cracks or fractures. It is used to predict the failure of materials and structures.

2. What is the stress intensity factor?

The stress intensity factor is a measure of the stress intensity at the tip of a crack in a material. It is used to predict the propagation of cracks and the likelihood of failure.

3. What is the superposition principle in fracture mechanics?

The superposition principle states that the total stress intensity factor at a point can be calculated by adding the individual stress intensity factors from each applied load or stress component. This allows for the analysis of complex loading scenarios.

4. How is the stress intensity factor superposition principle used in fracture mechanics?

The stress intensity factor superposition principle is used to calculate the stress intensity at the tip of a crack in a material under various loading conditions. It allows for the determination of the critical stress intensity factor, which is used to predict the failure of a material.

5. What are some applications of fracture mechanics?

Fracture mechanics has many applications in engineering, including the design and analysis of structures and materials, predicting the failure of components, and improving the safety and reliability of products. It is also used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and construction to ensure the structural integrity of their products.