Frame on castors toppling over

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of force required to topple over a frame with a conveyor attached to it. The total mass of the unit is 175kg and the vertical force is calculated to be 1715 Newton. The force needed to push the centre of gravity over the pivot on both the 16° and 12.5° sides is also calculated. The height of the centre of mass is checked and the torque required for both sides is calculated. The conversation also mentions factoring in the swivel castors and suggests assuming that the castor may sometimes be blocked.
D19A99G
Hello all,
I'm trying to calculate how much force is required to topple over a frame with a conveyor attached to it. I have attached a screenshot of the assembly.
I have the centre of gravity as seen on the screenshot. The two lines to the pivot points show the angle. These are 16 degrees (line length of 1032mm) and 12.5 degrees (line length of 1015mm).
The total mass of the unit is 175kg.

I have seen a couple of methods online such as using kinetic and potential energy or trying to calculate the torque required to push the CoG over the pivot.

I'm struggling with this seemingly simple task! Any input would be appreciated, if anymore information is required let me know.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Screenshot.PNG
    Screenshot.PNG
    20.1 KB · Views: 129
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Mass is 175 kg. Vertical force = m·g = 175 * 9.8 = 1715 Newton.
Push on the 16° side, fall towards 12.5° side. 1715 * Tan( 12.5°) = 380.2 N
Push on the 12.5° side, fall towards 16° side. 1715 * Tan( 16.0°) = 491.8 N

Edit: The force is assumed to be applied to the centre of mass.

Last edited:
Likes D19A99G and dlgoff
Height of the centre of mass is; 1.015 m * Cos( 12.5° ) = 0.992 m
Check height of centre of mass; 1.032 m * Cos( 16.0° ) = 0.992 m

Push on the 16° side, fall towards 12.5° side. 1715 * Tan( 12.5°) = 380.2 N.
Which represents a torque of 380.2 N * 0.992 m = 377.2 N·m.
If the force is applied at height of h metre, the force in Newtons will be; F = 377.2 / h Newton.

Push on the 12.5° side, fall towards 16° side. 1715 * Tan( 16.0°) = 491.8 N.
Which represents a torque of; 491.8 N * 0.992 m = 487.9 N·m.
If the force is applied at height of h metre, the force will be; F = 487.9 / h Newton.

Thank you for the response!
How would the swivel castors then be factored into that? Is there any easy way?

One failure is one industrial accident too many. The easiest way to factor in the swivel castors is to assume the castor will sometimes be blocked from turning or rolling by a small object on the floor. That happens more often than you might expect.

1. What causes a frame on castors to topple over?

The most common cause of a frame on castors toppling over is an uneven distribution of weight on the frame. This can be due to heavy objects being placed on one side of the frame or unevenly distributed on the castors themselves.

2. How can I prevent a frame on castors from toppling over?

To prevent a frame on castors from toppling over, make sure to evenly distribute weight on the frame and avoid placing heavy objects on one side. Additionally, regularly checking and tightening the castors can help prevent them from becoming loose and causing instability.

3. Can the type of flooring affect the stability of a frame on castors?

Yes, the type of flooring can affect the stability of a frame on castors. Uneven or slippery flooring can make it easier for the frame to topple over. It is important to choose the right type of castors for the flooring and to regularly clean and maintain the castors for optimal stability.

4. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a frame on castors?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when using a frame on castors. Always make sure to evenly distribute weight on the frame and avoid placing heavy objects on one side. Regularly check and tighten the castors, and be cautious when moving the frame on uneven or slippery surfaces.

5. Can I add additional support to a frame on castors to prevent it from toppling over?

Yes, additional support can be added to a frame on castors to prevent it from toppling over. This can include using a support beam or adding weight to the base of the frame. However, it is important to ensure that the added support does not interfere with the movement and functionality of the castors.