Fraud Alert: Microsoft Windows License Call 800-549-5301

• Thread starter mathman
  • Start date
In summary, a phone call claiming to be from Microsoft regarding an expired Windows license is a common fraud reported by many people. Microsoft typically communicates through email and has no obligation to personally contact individual users. There are also many YouTube videos exposing these types of scams, where scammers try to prove their legitimacy by referencing a software key that is not unique to each user. As a company with billions of users, Microsoft has no reason to personally contact individual users to check on their products, similar to how car or bike manufacturers do not contact individual owners to check on their vehicles.
mathman
Science Advisor
I got a phone call today - call back number 800-549-5301. It claimed Microsoft Windows license expired. I checked reverse phone lookup. Many people have received this call - obvious fraud. I believe Microsoft does not phone anyone, but uses e-mail to communicate.

Computer science news on Phys.org
mathman said:
I believe Microsoft does not phone anyone, but uses e-mail to communicate.
Connected to the Internet, Microsoft do whatever it wants with my Windows installation. :cry::H:nb):mad:

Likes Tom.G and stoomart
Microsoft have no obligation at all to assist individual users of Windows OS or other products, although their online support is usally friendly
A company with billions of users has no reason to contact individual users personally and ask if things are working properly.
If you have a car or even a bike, does the producers get in touch to see if it's OK?

Last edited:

1. What is a "Fraud Alert: Microsoft Windows License Call 800-549-5301"?

A "Fraud Alert: Microsoft Windows License Call 800-549-5301" is a common scam tactic used by scammers to try and trick people into giving them money or personal information. It usually involves receiving a phone call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft and stating that there is a problem with your Windows license. They will then try to convince you to pay them a fee or give them access to your computer to fix the issue, but in reality, there is no problem with your license and the scammers are just trying to steal from you.

2. How do I know if the call I received is a "Fraud Alert: Microsoft Windows License Call 800-549-5301"?

If you receive a call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft and stating that there is a problem with your Windows license, it is most likely a scam. Microsoft will never contact you through a phone call to inform you about a license issue. They may send emails or notifications through your computer, but they will never ask for money or access to your computer to resolve the issue.

3. What should I do if I receive a "Fraud Alert: Microsoft Windows License Call 800-549-5301"?

If you receive a call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft and stating that there is a problem with your Windows license, do not give them any money or access to your computer. Hang up the phone and report the call to Microsoft and your local authorities. You can also block the phone number to prevent them from calling again.

4. How can I protect myself from falling for a "Fraud Alert: Microsoft Windows License Call 800-549-5301" scam?

To protect yourself from falling for a "Fraud Alert: Microsoft Windows License Call 800-549-5301" scam, it is important to be cautious and skeptical of any unexpected phone calls claiming to be from Microsoft. Remember that Microsoft will never contact you through a phone call regarding a license issue. If you are unsure, you can always contact Microsoft directly through their official channels to verify the legitimacy of the call.

5. Can I get my money back if I fell for a "Fraud Alert: Microsoft Windows License Call 800-549-5301" scam?

If you have already given money to the scammers in a "Fraud Alert: Microsoft Windows License Call 800-549-5301" scam, it is unlikely that you will be able to get it back. However, you should still report the incident to Microsoft and your local authorities so that they can investigate and potentially catch the scammers. In the future, be cautious of unexpected phone calls and always verify the legitimacy of the call before giving out any personal or financial information.