Fraunhofer diffraction and convolution of two aperture functions

In summary, the concept of two function convolution in Fraunhofer diffraction involves taking the convolution of two Fourier transforms: the transmission function of the illuminated aperture and the transmission function of a Rect. function, which represents the peaks of the aperture function. This results in a far-field diffraction pattern that can be expressed using delta functions and the Sinc function.
Blairo
Hello,

I'm having some trouble understanding the concept of two function convolution in Fraunhofer diffraction.

Let's say I have an aperture function in the shape of some cosine function (which is always above zero), and I want to calculate the transmission function if I only illuminate 3 such "slits" (so I capture 3 peaks of cosine aperture function). In order to do that, I was told to take the convolution of two Fourier transforms: the transmission function of cosine aperture illuminated over infinite slits and the transmission function of the Rect. function (some kind of box, which captures the 3 peaks of cosine function), which is a Sinc. function.

Is this correct? I don't quite get the physical meaning of convolution in this particular case.

Thanks for any explanations.

Science news on Phys.org
If I understand you correctly, the aperture function could be written as something like cos^2(x)*rect(x/3). Assuming I kept track of the scale factors correctly, this means that 3 cycles of cos^2 (which is always positive) are illuminated.

Then, the far-field diffraction pattern is the FT of the aperture function, which would be FT(cos^2) convolved with FT(rect(x/3)), or:

(1/2 Sqrt[\[Pi]/2] DiracDelta[-2 + u] + Sqrt[\[Pi]/2] DiracDelta +
1/2 Sqrt[\[Pi]/2] DiracDelta[2 + u])**Sinc[3u],

where DiracDelta[a+u] is a delta function located at u = -a.

What is Fraunhofer diffraction and how does it differ from other types of diffraction?

Fraunhofer diffraction is a type of diffraction that occurs when a wave passes through an aperture or slit. It differs from other types of diffraction, such as Fresnel diffraction, in that the source of the wave is far from the aperture, resulting in a parallel wavefront. This allows for simpler mathematical analysis and is often used to study the diffraction patterns of light.

What is meant by a convolution of two aperture functions?

A convolution of two aperture functions is a mathematical operation that combines the effects of two separate apertures on a wave. It is used to determine the overall diffraction pattern that results from the combination of the two apertures.

How does the width of an aperture affect the diffraction pattern?

The width of an aperture has a significant impact on the diffraction pattern. A wider aperture will result in a narrower central peak and more distinct secondary peaks, while a narrower aperture will result in a wider central peak and less distinct secondary peaks.

What is the relationship between the size of the aperture and the distance from the source?

The size of the aperture and the distance from the source are inversely proportional. This means that as the distance from the source increases, the size of the aperture must also increase in order to maintain a constant diffraction pattern.

How is Fraunhofer diffraction used in practical applications?

Fraunhofer diffraction is commonly used in various fields, such as optics, acoustics, and radio waves. It is used to study the properties of waves passing through apertures and can be applied to practical applications such as telescope design, laser beam shaping, and sound engineering.