Free Body Diagram and directions

In summary: The relationship between ##\vec a## and ##\vec\alpha## is only valid when ##\vec a## and ##\vec \alpha## are connected.
Bauxiet
Hi everyone,
I am an electromechanical engineering student. The last few days I am trapping into some confusion about some things. I am just going to state my question underneath.

Question:

First question:

As they learned me at the university. When you draw a free body diagram it doesn't mind in which direction you draw a force. In the end, you get the same magnitude but with a different sign, what means that the force will be pointing in the opposite direction. This is correct?

For example the exercise below. What if a drew the N-force in the opposite direction? Would it give me the same numeric solution but with a different sign? For my experience, the angular acceleration that i had to calculate was a different numeric solution when I had drew the N-force in the opposite direction.

For example I had to calculate the angular acceleration. I drew the N-force counter the y-axis. So the equation would be: -N - 20*g = 0 <=> N = -20*g ! This means I have drawn my force in the wrong direction. Do I have to change the value to N= 200 N or do I have to calculate with the N = -200 N until the end when the exercise is done? (and use the - 200N in momentum equations for example).

My second question:

Must a (acceleration) and alfa (angular acceleration) always go in the same direction? For example: My a is pointing to the right (positive) direction. Can my alfa turn counter clockwise or must it turn clockwise (and does it care which direction positive is? or must i choose clockwise positive because the right direction for a is positive?)

I hope my questions are a little bit clear. I am experiencing some problems with this topic. I just have to know if the directions of forces/angular accelerations are important or it will all give the same result if you just follow the convention until the end of the exercise. Or do i have to change the value during the exercise. (for example (do i have to change N = -200 N to N = 200 N during the exercise and fill in the positive number in the other equations?)

Thank you very much in advance.
Greetings,
Bauxiet

When having a dynamic or static problem. Take for example a dynamic problem. Like underneath:

The exercise is written in dutch, sorry for this.

dHhKoph.png

This is my solution:

O2Zt7XQ.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Bauxiet, :welcome: (welkom dus)

Please do use the template, don't delete it. (see guidelines). It helps you formulate a clearer question and it makes answering a lot simpler.

1)
Forces have to be consistent: if you want to solve ##\sum \vec F =0 ## for equilibrium you can't have ##m\vec g## positive if pointing down and ##\vec N## positive if pointing up (*). Apart from that, the choice of a positive direction is free (but you can be asking for trouble, of course :smile:).

2)
Check your definition of ##\vec \alpha## and the relationship with ##\vec a##. A body can accelerate one way and have an angular acceleration in the other direction. Only when ##\vec\alpha## and ##\vec a## are connected (e.g. through a no-slip condition) things become different.

(*) And you deal with that in the right way by writing a minus sign in front of the 20 g ! Idem in 2T - 10g . I think that is a good way to do it.

Last edited:
BvU said:
Hello Bauxiet, :welcome: (welkom dus)

Please do use the template, don't delete it. (see guidelines). It helps you formulate a clearer question and it makes answering a lot simpler.

1)
Forces have to be consistent: if you want to solve ##\sum \vec F =0 ## for equilibrium you can't have ##m\vec g## positive if pointing down and ##\vec N## positive if pointing up. Apart from that, the choice of a positive direction is free (but you can be asking for trouble, of course :smile:).

2)
Check your definition of ##\vec \alpha## and the relationship with ##\vec a##. A body can accelerate one way and have an angular acceleration in the other direction. Only when ##\vec\alpha## and ##\vec a## are connected (e.g. through a no-slip condition) things become different.

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I didn't use the template, will do it in the future!

1) When: positive direction (up/y) and positive direction (right/x). Imagine I am searching the N-force. I don't know the direction (down or up).
The equation will be: -N - 25*g = 0 (imagine I drew the N force down in negative direction) solving will give: N = -25*g. So far, this means that the force will be pointing up and not down (because of the negative sign). Does it matter in which direction I draw an unknow force (in all cases)? And what if I find out in an exercise that my force is drawn in the wrong direction. Do I have to calculate with the N = -25*g till the end of the exercise or do I have to use N = 25*g in further calculations during the exercise?

2) The disk has a no-slip condition. The acceleration (a) is pointing to the right (positive x direction). My angular acceleration MUST be clockwise? (otherwise there would be slip...). Is this correct? Extra question: what if I don't know if there is slip/no-slip...
So far I the case of the no-slip condition. Imagine I draw the angular acceleration in counter clockwise direction and the acceleration (a) in the positive x direction.
Would my calculations point out I drew the angular acceleration in the wrong direction? (will my result be negative...?)

Thanks!

1)
Bauxiet said:
The equation will be: -N - 25*g = 0
Yes, that is ##\sum \vec F = 0##. You adopted ##y^+## is up, so ##\vec g = (0, -9.81) ## m/s2 . For the y components ##\sum \vec F = 0 \Rightarrow \vec N_y - 9.81 m = 0 ## ( I use ##\vec N_y## for the y component of ##\vec N##). Outcome: ##\vec N_y = 9.81 m ## Newton. A positive value, so pointing upwards.

You use the letter N for the vertical component in downward direction and compensate by writing a minus sign in front.
And you do the same with mg.
It's OK, but you risk confusion, of course. Either way you get ##\vec N = -m\vec g##.

Most of the times the cause of confusion is in the symbol for g. Some people understand intuitively where to use a minus sign and where not. When you use ##\vec g## that is more unambiguous.

2)
The no-slip condition means that the point P on the rim that touches the table does not have a horizontal velocity component ##\vec v_{P, x}##.
With $$0 = \vec v_{P, x} = \vec v_{{\rm c.o.m.}, x} + (\vec \omega \times \vec r_P)_x $$ you get $$
0 = \vec v_{{\rm c.o.m.}, x} - \vec \omega_z \;\vec r_{P,y} $$ Now, ##\vec r_{P,y} ## is negative so that the z component of ##\vec \omega## comes out negative too: it points into the paper away from you. Corresponding to clockwise in the drawing. And likewise ##\vec a## and ##\vec \alpha##.

The magnitude of a vector is always positive. When you prefix a vector with a plus/minus sign, it just connotes the sense of the vector (right/left, up/down, forward/backward). This converts parallel vectors to scalars so you can manipulate them with algebraic addition.

Alternatively, you can arbitrarily assign a positive sense to all vectors, and then you would follow the rules of vector addition.

With angular acceleration vectors, there is no obvious sense so you use the right-hand rule or some similar convention.

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. It is used to analyze the forces and motion of an object in a given situation.

2. How do you draw a free body diagram?

To draw a free body diagram, you first identify the object of interest and then all the forces acting on it. Then, draw a simple diagram of the object and label all the forces with arrows indicating their direction and magnitude.

3. What is the purpose of drawing a free body diagram?

The purpose of drawing a free body diagram is to analyze the forces acting on an object and determine their net effect on the object's motion. It helps in solving problems related to mechanics and understanding the behavior of objects under different conditions.

4. How do you determine the direction of a force on a free body diagram?

The direction of a force on a free body diagram is determined by its orientation relative to the object. The direction of the force is indicated by the direction of the arrow drawn on the diagram.

5. What are the key principles to keep in mind when drawing a free body diagram?

When drawing a free body diagram, it is important to remember the following key principles: 1) Include all the forces acting on the object, 2) Label the forces with arrows indicating their direction and magnitude, 3) Choose a consistent scale for the forces, and 4) Make sure the forces are accurately represented in relation to the object.