Free Body Diagram of 3-Bar Linkage. Splitting the force?

In summary, the attached file provides information on the force necessary to tip a container with a symmetric mechanism. However, the mechanism won't function with the given 4deg angle and the force system is symmetric about c/l. Additionally, finding the forces required "F ??" is a separate calculation.
noodle951

Homework Statement

Hi, please see the attached file. I am trying to find the force as illustrated in the diagram.

Homework Equations

Picture1.png
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found the force for the 4deg beam and therefore the horizontal beam however I am unsure how to take into account the third angled beam.

Thank you in advanced for any help. It is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
As drawn that mechanism is just floating in space with all the links loose relative to one another .

Any applied forces will distort the mechanism and accelerate the whole thing away from the starting location .

You need to have some constraints somewhere .

Last edited:
Hi Nidum, does this explain it better? The long horizontal beam represents an actuator. The mechanism is to tip a container.

Picture2.png

That's better . We don't want our problems propelled into outer space .

The mechanism won't actually function with the 4 deg angle . Linkages like that typically need 25 deg + to work .

Do you want to alter the problem to be a bit more realistic ?

Last edited:
Nidum said:
That's better . We don't want our problems propelled into outer space .

The mechanism won't actually function with the 4 deg angle . Linkages like that typically need 25 deg + to work .

Do you want to alter the problem to be a bit more realistic ?

Alright, handy to know! :)

So if i change the 4 deg angle to 25, I get: 9/(sin(25)) = 21.3KN on the upper angled beam.

Let's see a proper free body diagram for the linkage with all the forces acting shown clearly ..

Pic3.png

This ok?

There are three missing forces ...?

Pic4.png

This better? Not sure what other forces I need.

Left hand side of diagram ? Two horizontal forces + one vertical force ?

The horizontal component of F1? at either end of the beam? Then the vertical at the end of the first angled beam?

Reaction forces from container fixing pin and ground fixing pin . Four in total but you are given one so three to find .

The mechanism and force system is symmetric about c/l so not much work to do .

Last edited:
Something like this?
PIC5.png

y mech.jpg

Nidum said:

Ah that makes more sense. How would I go about finding the X and Y components at the lower ground fixing pin? Would I find the force going along the lower angled beam (hypotenuse) and go from there?

Also, once I've found the X and Y components, how do I go about finding the force required "F ??".

Thanks

For the complete mechanism what can you say about the sum of externally applied forces in the X direction and in the Y direction ?

So the force required "F ??" Is taken from the the sum of the X components and the sum of the Y components for the container and linkage fixing pin?

Not quite - sum in X direction and sum in Y direction are separate calculations .

1. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of all the forces acting on an object. It is used to analyze the motion and equilibrium of an object.

2. How do you create a free body diagram of a 3-bar linkage?

To create a free body diagram of a 3-bar linkage, you first need to identify all the external forces acting on the system, including the forces at each joint and the weight of the bars. Then, draw a diagram of the linkage with all the forces acting on each bar, including their direction and magnitude.

3. What is meant by splitting the force in a free body diagram?

Splitting the force in a free body diagram refers to breaking down a single force into its component forces in different directions. This is done to accurately represent the different forces acting on a single bar or joint in a 3-bar linkage.

4. Why is it important to split the force in a free body diagram of a 3-bar linkage?

Splitting the force in a free body diagram of a 3-bar linkage is important because it allows us to accurately analyze the forces acting on each bar and joint. By breaking down a single force into its components, we can determine the individual effects of each force on the motion and equilibrium of the system.

5. What are some methods for splitting the force in a free body diagram?

There are several methods for splitting the force in a free body diagram, including the parallelogram method, the triangle method, and the polygon method. These methods involve drawing a diagram of the force and its components in different directions, using trigonometric functions to determine the magnitude and direction of the components.