Free Decay analysis on SIMPACK

In summary, the conversation discusses a comparison between free decay analysis results from the NREL 5-MW-wind turbine model on SIMPACK and OPENFAST simulations. The results show a difference in decay magnitude along the X-direction, possibly due to the offset in the center of mass of the nacelle or hub. Additionally, there is also a difference in the overhang length between the two simulations. The values in the subvar RotOvrHang on SIMPACK are also questioned, with potential implications for the scale of the comparison.
mjmadraswala
TL;DR Summary
I have been conducting free decay analysis on the 5-MW-wind turbine model provided by SIMPACK . I wanted to compare the free decay results with OPENFAST simulation. Hence, I applied a initial displacement of 1m on the tower top in the Y direction. While comparing the results with OPENFAST the decay seems to match in the Y direction but the decay along X-direction seems to vary in magnitude(see snapshot below). SIMPACK has a higher magnitude of decay which could be due to the offset in C.M of the
I have been conducting free decay analysis on the NREL 5-MW-wind turbine model provided by SIMPACK . I wanted to compare the free decay results with OPENFAST simulation. Hence, I applied a initial displacement of 1m on the tower top in the Y direction. While comparing the results with OPENFAST the decay seems to match in the Y direction but the decay along X-direction seems to vary in magnitude(see snapshot below). SIMPACK has a higher magnitude of decay which could be due to the offset in C.M of the nacelle or the Hub. I also found out that there is an offset in the overhang length between SIMPACK and OPENFAST, but as per the structural parameters of the NREL 5 MW the C.M of the nacelle and the hub seems to be at the correct co-ordinates on SIMPACK. I checked manually the distance of the center of hub to the tower axis, which is different from the OvrHang length defined in the model(check snapshot)

If anyone has worked with the same model on SIMPACK explain what do the values represent in the subvar RotOvrHang on SIMPACK?

Appreciate your help on this matter.

1661783483958.png

1661783508328.png

1661783531088.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look at the scale of the comparison at X, the values are much much lower, suggesting this might be more due to numerics than anything else. It seems to me that an initial displacement in Y direction is not going to tell you anything about the decay in X direction.

1. What is Free Decay analysis on SIMPACK?

Free Decay analysis on SIMPACK is a simulation technique used to study the dynamic behavior of a mechanical system without any external forces or inputs. It is also known as free vibration analysis and is commonly used in the field of engineering to analyze the natural frequencies and modes of a system.

2. How does Free Decay analysis work on SIMPACK?

Free Decay analysis on SIMPACK uses mathematical models and algorithms to simulate the behavior of a mechanical system without any external forces. The system is initially given an initial displacement or velocity, and then the simulation calculates the system's response over time based on its natural frequency and damping characteristics.

3. What are the benefits of using Free Decay analysis on SIMPACK?

Free Decay analysis on SIMPACK allows engineers to understand the natural behavior of a mechanical system without the influence of external forces. This helps in identifying potential design flaws and optimizing the system's performance. It is also a cost-effective way to study the dynamic behavior of a system compared to physical testing.

4. What types of systems can be analyzed using Free Decay analysis on SIMPACK?

Free Decay analysis on SIMPACK can be applied to a wide range of mechanical systems, including but not limited to, vehicles, machines, structures, and even biological systems. It is particularly useful for systems with high degrees of freedom, such as complex structures or multi-body systems.

5. Are there any limitations to Free Decay analysis on SIMPACK?

Free Decay analysis on SIMPACK is limited to systems that can be modeled using linear equations and assumptions. It also assumes that the system has a constant mass and stiffness, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the accuracy of the initial conditions and the chosen mathematical model.