Free Energy of a Simple Quantum System

In summary: V}}{k\times 2000~\rm{K}}}}{e^{-\frac{-0.12~\rm{eV}}{k\times 2000~\rm{K}}} + e^{-\frac{-0.20~\rm{eV}}{k\times 2000~\rm{K}}} + e^{-\frac{-0.44~\rm{eV}}{k\times 2000~\rm{K}}}} \approx 0.14$$The entropy of the system can then be calculated using the formula:$$S = -k\sum_{i=
VSayantan

Homework Statement

[/B]A quantum system has three energy levels, ##-0.12 ~\rm{eV}##, ##-0.20 ~\rm{eV}## and ##-0.44 ~\rm{eV}## respectively. Three electrons are distributed among these three levels. At a temperature of ##1727^o \rm{C}## the system has total energy ##-0.68 ~\rm{eV}##. What is the approximate free energy of the system?

Homework Equations

At temperatures higher than ##0~K## electrons occupy higher energy levels.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the temperature of the system is ##>>0~k##, electrons will occupy higher energy levels.
The energy levels might look like as follows
Untitled3.png

The system has a total energy $$E=-0.68~\rm{eV}$$
Which can be obtained if two electrons are in the third energy level and one in the first energy level : $$2\times (-0.12\rm{eV})+(-0.44\rm{eV})=-0.68~\rm{eV}$$

Assuming free energy refers to the ground state energy of the system, it is
$$2\times (-0.44~\rm{eV})+(-0.12~\rm{eV})\approx -1.0~\rm{eV}$$

Any other explanation possible?

Attachments

• Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    1,022 bytes · Views: 393
Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to clarify that the free energy of a quantum system refers to the energy that is available to do work, rather than the ground state energy. In this case, the free energy can be calculated using the formula:
$$F = E - TS$$
where E is the total energy of the system, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and S is the entropy of the system. Since we know the total energy and temperature, we need to calculate the entropy of the system.

At a temperature of ##1727^o \rm{C}## or ##2000~\rm{K}##, the probability of an electron occupying a particular energy level is given by the Boltzmann distribution:
$$P_i = \frac{e^{-\frac{E_i}{kT}}}{\sum_{i=1}^3 e^{-\frac{E_i}{kT}}}$$
where E_i is the energy of the ith energy level and k is the Boltzmann constant.

Using this formula, we can calculate the probabilities of each electron occupying the three energy levels:
$$P_1 = \frac{e^{-\frac{-0.12~\rm{eV}}{k\times 2000~\rm{K}}}}{e^{-\frac{-0.12~\rm{eV}}{k\times 2000~\rm{K}}} + e^{-\frac{-0.20~\rm{eV}}{k\times 2000~\rm{K}}} + e^{-\frac{-0.44~\rm{eV}}{k\times 2000~\rm{K}}}} \approx 0.51$$
$$P_2 = \frac{e^{-\frac{-0.20~\rm{eV}}{k\times 2000~\rm{K}}}}{e^{-\frac{-0.12~\rm{eV}}{k\times 2000~\rm{K}}} + e^{-\frac{-0.20~\rm{eV}}{k\times 2000~\rm{K}}} + e^{-\frac{-0.44~\rm{eV}}{k\times 2000~\rm{K}}}} \approx 0.35$$
$$P_3 = \

1. What is the concept of "free energy" in a simple quantum system?

The free energy of a system refers to the amount of energy that is available to do useful work. In a simple quantum system, this energy is determined by the system's internal energy and its entropy.

2. How is the free energy of a simple quantum system calculated?

The free energy of a simple quantum system can be calculated using the equation F = E - TS, where E is the internal energy, T is the temperature, and S is the entropy. This equation is derived from the laws of thermodynamics.

3. What is the significance of the free energy in a simple quantum system?

The free energy is an important concept in understanding the behavior of a simple quantum system. It provides insight into the system's ability to do work and its tendency to reach a state of equilibrium. Systems with lower free energy are more stable and have a greater tendency to remain in their current state.

4. How does the free energy of a simple quantum system change with temperature?

The free energy of a simple quantum system is directly related to temperature. As the temperature increases, the system's internal energy also increases, resulting in a decrease in free energy. This relationship is important in understanding phase transitions and the behavior of materials at different temperatures.

5. Can the free energy of a simple quantum system ever be negative?

No, the free energy of a simple quantum system can never be negative. This is because a system with negative free energy would have an infinite amount of energy available to do work, which is not physically possible. The free energy can approach zero, but it cannot be negative.