A system of independent particles (energy levels)

The correct equation to use is e^(-ε1/kT)=0.2. In summary, the conversation is about calculating the temperature at which 20% of independent particles in a system have energy level ε1 using the Boltzmann Distribution formula and the given hint. The correct equation to use is e^(-ε1/kT)=0.2 and z is the partition function.
physicisttobe
Homework Statement
boltzmann distribution
Relevant Equations
Hi guys,

Can you give me some feedback on whether my calculation is correct? I applied the formula below (Boltzmann Distribution) but I didn‘t know what to use for the variable z. I don‘t even know if I used the correct equation. Can you help me further?

The task is:
Consider a system of independent particles that can only occupy 2 different energy levels ε0 = 0 (non-degenerate) or ε1 = 50 meV (3-fold degenerate). At what temperature do 20% of the particles have energy ε1?

Hint: k= 1.38E-23 J/K
e= 1.60E-19 As

B3EF1F20-B87A-4A41-AB44-DF8121B70346.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
physicisttobe said:
Homework Statement: boltzmann distribution
Relevant Equations:

Hi guys,

Can you give me some feedback on whether my calculation is correct? I applied the formula below (Boltzmann Distribution) but I didn‘t know what to use for the variable z. I don‘t even know if I used the correct equation. Can you help me further?

The task is:
Consider a system of independent particles that can only occupy 2 different energy levels ε0 = 0 (non-degenerate) or ε1 = 50 meV (3-fold degenerate). At what temperature do 20% of the particles have energy ε1?

Hint: k= 1.38E-23 J/K
e= 1.60E-19 As

View attachment 325293
z is not a variable. It's the partition function.

1. What is a system of independent particles?

A system of independent particles refers to a collection of particles that do not interact with each other. This means that the behavior of one particle does not affect the behavior of another particle in the system.

2. How are energy levels defined in a system of independent particles?

In a system of independent particles, energy levels are defined as the different states that a particle can occupy. These energy levels are determined by the properties of the particles, such as their mass and charge.

3. What is the significance of energy levels in a system of independent particles?

The energy levels in a system of independent particles determine the possible energy states that the particles can have. This can affect the overall behavior and properties of the system, such as the temperature and conductivity.

4. How are energy levels related to the quantum mechanical model?

The quantum mechanical model describes the behavior of particles on a microscopic level, including their energy levels. In this model, energy levels are quantized, meaning they can only have certain discrete values rather than a continuous range of values.

5. Can the energy levels in a system of independent particles change?

Yes, the energy levels in a system of independent particles can change if the particles interact with external energy sources or if the system experiences a phase transition. However, the energy levels themselves are determined by the properties of the particles and will not change unless these properties change.