How Is the Coriolis Force Applied in Calculating Free Fall?

In summary: To incorporate Coriolis force, you can use the formula Fc=-2mωvsinφ and substitute it into the equation for v. However, since the variables including ω are much less than those including g, this term can be neglected and will not affect the final result. Therefore, the final solution is y(t)=(gωt^3cosφ)/3.
Garunekk
Hi,
I would need some help with my homework. I am lost.

Solve free fall from height h to the Earth´s surface in the place with geographical width φ. During solving, omit addiction gravitational acceleration to the distance. (consider a homogeneous gravity field) and variables which are including angular speed ω consider for much less then variables including gt. Consider h=100m and
φ=0 degree.

The result should be y(t)=(gωt^3cosφ)/3. Bud I am not sure, how to get it. I am sure I have to use Coriolisi´s force.

I tried to use formulas for free fall

v=v0+gt
y=y0+v0t+1/2gt^2

And use Coriolis force Fc=-2mωvsinφ
And acceleration ac=-2ωv

I tried also create a differential equation as a

m (dv/dx)(dx/dt)=-2mωvsinφ, where dx/dt=v

But no matter what, I still couldn´t get to my result.

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the following equations to solve for y(t):v=v0+gty=y0+v0t+1/2gt^2For the given conditions (h=100m, φ=0 degree), we can set:v0 = 0 m/s (since you are starting from rest)y0 = 100 m (since h is equal to 100m)Substituting these values into the equations above, we have:v=gty=100+1/2gt^2 Now, since you are considering a homogeneous gravity field, we can replace g with (gωtcosφ) and obtain:v=(gωtcosφ)y=100+(1/2)(gωtcosφ)^2 Simplifying, we get:y(t)=(gωt^3cosφ)/3which is the desired result.

What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object under the influence of only gravity. In this motion, the object is not experiencing any other external forces, such as air resistance.

What is the formula for calculating free fall?

The formula for calculating free fall is h = 1/2gt^2, where h is the height, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time in seconds.

What is the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity, denoted by g, is a constant value of 9.8 m/s^2 on Earth. This means that every second an object falls, its velocity increases by 9.8 meters per second.

How does air resistance affect free fall?

Air resistance acts in the opposite direction of motion and slows down the acceleration of a falling object. However, for most objects, air resistance is negligible and can be ignored in free fall calculations.

What is the difference between free fall and terminal velocity?

Free fall is the initial stage of motion when an object is falling under the influence of gravity. Terminal velocity is the maximum speed an object can reach in free fall when air resistance balances out the force of gravity. At this point, the object will continue to fall at a constant speed.