Free Fall Kinematics Problem

In summary, the time it takes for the wrecking ball to fall from rest all the way to the ground can be found by first using the equation ∆Y=VoT+.5At2 to find the change in y of the half of the distance, then doubling it to find the total distance. Using the equation v2 = v02 + 2aD, where v0 is 0 and a is g (9.81 m/s2), we can solve for the velocity of the ball. This velocity is then used in the equation v = at, where a is also g, to solve for the total time it takes for the ball to fall.
pstfleur
1. A wrecking ball is hanging at rest from a crane when suddenly the cable breaks. The time it takes for the ball to fall halfway to the ground is 1.2 seconds. Find the time it takes for the ball to fall from rest all the way to ground
2. Vf=Vo-gt, Vf^2=Vo^2-2g(delta y), Yf=Yo+Vot-1/2gt^2
3. I first found the velocity of the ball traveling to the halfway mark.
Vf=0m/s-9.8(1.2)=-11.76.. I'm not quite sure how to relate that to the actual question. I wonder if I am even headed in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello
Please excuse me because in my physics class we learned with a different set of variables, which seems stupid because on PF i have yet to see anyone use the ones we have haha. Anyway, the equation needed to solve this would be.

∆Y=VoT+.5At2 (i believe A is called g in your equations)

In words this reads... change in y is equal to the initial velocity multipled by time, plus half the acceleration multiplied by the time squared.

So, what you should look to find out, is the change in y of the half of it, which took 1.2 seconds. after you get that, I am sure that you will be well on your way. To check if you do the problem right, the answer i got is sqare root of 2.88 seconds2

Good luck!

lax1113 said:
Hello
Please excuse me because in my physics class we learned with a different set of variables, which seems stupid because on PF i have yet to see anyone use the ones we have haha. Anyway, the equation needed to solve this would be.

∆Y=VoT+.5At2 (i believe A is called g in your equations)

In words this reads... change in y is equal to the initial velocity multipled by time, plus half the acceleration multiplied by the time squared.

So, what you should look to find out, is the change in y of the half of it, which took 1.2 seconds. after you get that, I am sure that you will be well on your way. To check if you do the problem right, the answer i got is sqare root of 2.88 seconds2

Good luck!

Thanks, That helped extremely in putting me in the right direction

well, downward acceleration on Earth (or g) is always a constant 9.81 m/s2 so ll you have to do is plug into the equation
so just plug that into the equation D = D0 + V0t +(1/2)at2 to find the half of the distance, then double to find the total distance.
then we change the equation v2 = v02 + 2aD so that it can solve for v, v0 is 0 and 1 = g so all we do is remove that, switch a to g, and take the squareroute of both sides snd we get. V = sqrt(2gd), plug in and solve. the use that value as v in the equation v = at (a = g again) and solve for total time

Last edited:

Related to Free Fall Kinematics Problem

1. What is free fall kinematics?

Free fall kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects under the influence of gravity alone. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object as it falls towards the ground.

2. How is free fall kinematics different from regular kinematics?

Regular kinematics considers the motion of objects in general, while free fall kinematics only applies to objects falling under the influence of gravity. This means that in free fall, the acceleration due to gravity is the only force acting on the object, and air resistance and other forces are ignored.

3. What are the key equations used in free fall kinematics?

The key equations used in free fall kinematics are the equations for position (x), velocity (v), and acceleration (a). These are: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2; v = v0 + at; and v2 = v02 + 2a(x - x0).

4. How do you solve a free fall kinematics problem?

To solve a free fall kinematics problem, you need to identify the initial position (x0), initial velocity (v0), acceleration (a), and time (t). Then, substitute these values into the appropriate equation and solve for the unknown variable.

5. What are some real-life examples of free fall kinematics?

Some real-life examples of free fall kinematics include a skydiver falling towards the ground, a ball being dropped from a height, and a person jumping off a diving board. These situations involve objects falling under the influence of gravity with no other forces acting on them.