How High Was the Tree from Which the Squirrel Fell?

In summary, the height of the tree can be calculated using the equation d=\upsilon_{i}t + \frac{1}{2}at^{2} by focusing on the last 2 meters of the squirrel's fall. However, the result of 8.15m obtained by adding the displacement of 6.15m (calculated using the equation \upsilon_{f}^{2}=\upsilon_{i}^{2} + 2ad) to the initial height of 2m, does not match the answer provided by the professor of 6.15m. This could indicate a miscalculation in finding the initial velocity, which is crucial in determining the height of the tree. Further
Gazaueli
Free Fall simple question, Answer check ASAP please!

Homework Statement

A flying squirrel falls from the top of a tree, without initial velocity. It travels the last 2 meters of its fall in 0.2s. What was the height of the tree?

Homework Equations

d=[itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]t + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]at[itex]^{2}[/itex]

[itex]\upsilon_{f}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]= [itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I first concentrated on the last 2 meters of the squirrel's fall by using the equation d=[itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]t + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]at[itex]^{2}[/itex]. I rearranged it to find the initial velocity: [itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{d-(0.5)at^{2}}{t}[/itex]

For initial velocity, I got

[itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{(2m)-(0.5)(-9.8m/s/s)(0.2)^{2}}{(0.2)}[/itex]

[itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]=10.98m/s

2. Now I focused on the rest of the squirrel's fall before the last 2m.

Here I used the equation: [itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{f}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]=[itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]+2ad and rearranged it to find d: d=[itex]\frac{\upsilon_{f}^{2}-\upsilon_{i}^{2}}{2a}[/itex]

By substitution I got:

d=[itex]\frac{(10.98m/s)^{2}-(0m/s)^{2}}{2(-9.8m/s/s)}[/itex]= -6.15m as displacement.

The displacement here can also be seen as the height, therefore H=6.15m

I then added 6.15m to the last 2m to get H=8.15m

The problem however is that in the corrections provided by my professor, his answer is that the height of the tree is 6.15m

His work looks like this:
[itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex] (last 2m)= [itex]\frac{2m}{0.2s}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{(9.8m/s/s)(0.2s)}{2}[/itex]= 9.02m/s

Did he forget to square the time here?

And in the second part he then calculates: d=[itex]\frac{(9.02m/s)^{2}}{2(9.8m/s/s)}[/itex]+2m=6.15m

Can someone please check if I missed something, or if perhaps my prof's answer is incorrect?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Gazaueli said:

Homework Statement

A flying squirrel falls from the top of a tree, without initial velocity. It travels the last 2 meters of its fall in 0.2s. What was the height of the tree?

Homework Equations

d=[itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]t + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]at[itex]^{2}[/itex]

[itex]\upsilon_{f}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]= [itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex] + 2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I first concentrated on the last 2 meters of the squirrel's fall by using the equation d=[itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]t + [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]at[itex]^{2}[/itex]. I rearranged it to find the initial velocity: [itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{d-(0.5)at^{2}}{t}[/itex]

For initial velocity, I got

[itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]=[itex]\frac{(2m)-(0.5)(-9.8m/s/s)(0.2)^{2}}{(0.2)}[/itex]

[itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex]=10.98m/s
Recheck that calculation. The value you've given corresponds to the impact speed at the ground, not the speed at 2m. Could be you've selected the result from a different calculation.
2. Now I focused on the rest of the squirrel's fall before the last 2m.

Here I used the equation: [itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{f}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]=[itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]+2ad and rearranged it to find d: d=[itex]\frac{\upsilon_{f}^{2}-\upsilon_{i}^{2}}{2a}[/itex]

By substitution I got:

d=[itex]\frac{(10.98m/s)^{2}-(0m/s)^{2}}{2(-9.8m/s/s)}[/itex]= -6.15m as displacement.

The displacement here can also be seen as the height, therefore H=6.15m

I then added 6.15m to the last 2m to get H=8.15m

The problem however is that in the corrections provided by my professor, his answer is that the height of the tree is 6.15m

His work looks like this:
[itex]\upsilon[/itex][itex]_{i}[/itex] (last 2m)= [itex]\frac{2m}{0.2s}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{(9.8m/s/s)(0.2s)}{2}[/itex]= 9.02m/s

Did he forget to square the time here?

And in the second part he then calculates: d=[itex]\frac{(9.02m/s)^{2}}{2(9.8m/s/s)}[/itex]+2m=6.15m

Can someone please check if I missed something, or if perhaps my prof's answer is incorrect?

Thank you!

1. What is free fall?

Free fall is the motion of an object falling under the sole influence of gravity. It occurs when the only force acting on an object is gravity and there is no air resistance.

2. What is the acceleration of objects in free fall?

The acceleration of objects in free fall is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared (m/s²), which is commonly represented as the letter "g". This means that an object in free fall will accelerate at a rate of 9.8 m/s² towards the ground.

3. How does the mass of an object affect its free fall?

The mass of an object does not affect its free fall. All objects, regardless of their mass, will fall at the same rate due to gravity. This is known as the equivalence principle, which was first described by Galileo.

4. What is terminal velocity in free fall?

Terminal velocity is the maximum velocity that an object can reach when falling through a fluid, such as air. In free fall, an object will continue to accelerate until it reaches its terminal velocity, at which point the forces of gravity and air resistance are equal and the object will fall at a constant speed.

5. What are some real-life examples of free fall?

Some common examples of free fall include objects dropped from a height, skydivers jumping out of a plane, and astronauts in orbit around Earth. Free fall also occurs in amusement park rides such as roller coasters and drop towers.