Free falling with air resistance question

This is the reason we take t>>τ.In summary, the question asks for an exact expression for the distance traveled by an object at time t, given that it falls under the effects of gravity and air resistance force bv. The characteristic time for the object to reach terminal velocity is τ=m/b. Integrating the equations of motion results in the expression d=mgτ/eb, which can be derived using both equations (1) and (2). However, it should be noted that this expression is only valid for t=τ and not for t>>τ, where the object has reached steady state.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

An object falls under gravity and air resistance force bv. It is known there is a characteristic time τ=m/b such that the object comes close to the terminal velocity for t>>τ. Derive an exact expression for the distance d traveled at time t.

Homework Equations

not sure, dv/dt=g-γv...(1) ,where γ=b/m, or v=v∞(1-e^(-γt))...(2) , v∞=g/γ...(3)

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer is d=mgτ/eb.
First, I don't understand why can't I integrate equation (1) this way...
dv/dt=g-γv
v=gt-γd
d=(gt-v)/γ =gτ^2-gτ^2 =0 which is wrong

Then, I tried to integrate equation (2),
d=v∞(t+γe^(-γt))+C
put t=0,v=0,d=0
C=-v∞γ=-g
so,
d=v∞(t+γe^(-γt))-g
putting the information inside
d=gτ(τ+(1/τe))-g
=gτ^2 + g/e -g
=(gτ^2e+g-ge) /e

PLEASE HELP , THX

Physics news on Phys.org
Clara Chung said:
dv/dt=g-γv
v=gt-γd
dv/dt=g-γv is a differential equation which describes velocity as a function of time i.e. v(t). Velocity is not constant w.r.t. time but is a function of time .So, you can't integrate the RHS as ∫(g-γv)dt. You'll have to separate the appropriate variables.

Likes Clara Chung
Clara Chung said:
Derive an exact expression for the distance d traveled at time t.
The answer given for d is true for t=τ and not t>>τ.

Likes Clara Chung
Clara Chung said:
3. The Attempt at a Solution

the answer is d=mgτ/eb.
dv/dt=g-γv
v=gt-γd
d=(gt-v)/γ =gτ^2-gτ^2 =0 which is wrong
You can integrate that way (taking definite integrals in both sides with time points t=0 and ##t=\tau##) but ##v(\tau)## is not equal to ##g\tau## because the object doesn't do free fall exactly.

Then, I tried to integrate equation (2),
d=v∞(t+γe^(-γt))+C
put t=0,v=0,d=0
C=-v∞γ=-g
so,
d=v∞(t+γe^(-γt))-g
putting the information inside
d=gτ(τ+(1/τe))-g
=gτ^2 + g/e -g
=(gτ^2e+g-ge) /e

PLEASE HELP , THX

Likes Clara Chung
Delta² said:
You can integrate that way (taking definite integrals in both sides with time points t=0 and ##t=\tau##) but ##v(\tau)## is not equal to ##g\tau## because the object doesn't do free fall exactly.

Thanks. But at time t>>τ, I set dv/dt = 0, then dv/dt = g-γv , so itsn't v=gτ (1/γ = τ)?

Clara Chung said:
Thanks. But at time t>>τ, I set dv/dt = 0, then dv/dt = g-γv , so itsn't v=gτ (1/γ = τ)?

yes that's correct. But this doesn't mean that d=0, it is still ##d=(gt-v)/\gamma## where ##t>>\tau## not ##t=\tau##

Likes Clara Chung
Clara Chung said:
t>>τ implies that the velocity at time t is g/γ. At time τ, the velocity is still changing.

Likes Clara Chung
Clara Chung said:
Thanks. But at time t>>τ, I set dv/dt = 0, then dv/dt = g-γv , so itsn't v=g/γ?

Oh I got it.:) But how to solve the question with equation (2) now?

You can continue with the initial approach and plug in ##v(\tau)## from the equation ##v(t)=v_{\infty}(1-e^{-\gamma t})##.

Or as you go by integrating (2) I see a mistake in the integration, it is ##\int -e^{-\gamma t}=\frac{e^{-\gamma t}}{\gamma}+C##

But you got me confused, you want d at time ##\tau## or d at time ##t>>\tau##?

Likes Clara Chung
Delta² said:
You can continue with the initial approach and plug in ##v(\tau)## from the equation ##v(t)=v_{\infty}(1-e^{-\gamma t})##.

Or as you go by integrating (2) I see a mistake in the integration, it is ##\int -e^{-\gamma t}=\frac{e^{-\gamma t}}{\gamma}+C##

But you got me confused, you want d at time ##\tau## or d at time ##t>>\tau##?
Oh my god... thanks for reminding me, now I've solved it

Clara Chung said:
Oh my god... thanks for reminding me, now I've solved it

I think the question need me to find t tends to τ, as v at τ is the same as t>>τ ,so my dv/dt can't set to be 0 as the curve hasn't level off. Not sure about it

No sorry velocity at time ##t=\tau## is quite different from velocity at time ##t>>\tau##.

The velocity at time ##t=10\tau## is probably close enough to the final velocity ##v_{\infty}##

Likes Clara Chung
Clara Chung said:
as v at τ is the same as t>>τ
No. Terminal velocity is attained at t>>τ. As Delta2 said, it could be 10τ. In fact, the output is approximately equal to the steady state value after 5τ (99%). So practically, for any value of t after t=5τ, the output can be said to have reached steady state.

Likes Clara Chung

What is free falling with air resistance?

Free falling with air resistance is a physical phenomenon that occurs when an object is falling towards the ground, but is also experiencing a force from the air pushing against it. This force of air resistance can affect the speed and direction of the object's fall.

How does air resistance affect free falling?

Air resistance can affect free falling in several ways, including reducing the object's acceleration, slowing down the object's speed, and changing the direction of the object's fall. This is because the force of air resistance is opposite to the direction of the object's motion.

What factors can influence air resistance during free falling?

The factors that can influence air resistance during free falling include the shape and size of the object, the density of the air, and the speed of the object's fall. The higher the speed and the bigger the surface area of the object, the greater the force of air resistance.

Can air resistance ever completely stop an object from falling?

No, air resistance can never completely stop an object from falling. This is because gravity will always be pulling the object towards the ground, and the force of air resistance can only oppose the object's motion, not stop it entirely.

How can air resistance be calculated during free falling?

The force of air resistance can be calculated using the following formula: F = 1/2 * p * v^2 * A * C, where F is the force of air resistance, p is the density of the air, v is the velocity of the object, A is the projected area of the object, and C is the drag coefficient which depends on the object's shape and size.