Free Families of Continuous Mappings Proof $\mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}$

• Thread starter geoffrey159
  • Start date
In summary, the two students attempted to solve a homework problem but were not able to do so. The first student attempted to show that any finite sub-family of the given family is free, while the second student attempted to show that for any x such that the given family's lambda-values lie within a certain range, x is equal to the sum of the lambda-values in that range.
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

Prove that the following families are free in the vector space of continuous mappings from ##\mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}##, with real scalars :
1 - ## (f_\lambda)_{\lambda \in \mathbb{R}^+} : f_\lambda(x) = \cos(\lambda x) ##
2 - ## (f_\lambda)_{\lambda \in \mathbb{R}} : f_\lambda(x) = |x-\lambda| ##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I'm not used to that kind of exercise so it may be all wrong, and I've worked this problem long enough so that it may be even worse than that.

My approach will be to show that any finite sub-family of ##(f_\lambda)_{\lambda\in \mathbb{R}}## is free.
Let ##\lambda_1 < ... < \lambda_N ## be distinct lambdas, and ##(x_1,...,x_N)## be real scalars such that ##\sum_{i = 1}^N x_i f_{\lambda_i}(x) = 0##, for any real ##x##. I want to show that ##x_1 = ... = x_N = 0##

1 -
In this case, ##0\le \lambda_1 < ... < \lambda_N ##. Since one can derivate infinitely many times the function ##f_\lambda##, then for any ##k\ge 0##,

## 0 = \frac{d^{2k}}{dx^{2k}}(\sum_{i = 1}^N x_i f_{\lambda_i}) = \sum_{i = 1}^N x_i \frac{d^{2k}}{dx^{2k}}(f_{\lambda_i}) = (-1)^k \sum_{i = 1}^N x_i \lambda_i^{2k} f_{\lambda_i}##.

The ##(-1)^k## can be overlooked since the whole term is equal to zero. Taking ## x = 0 ##, then ## 0 =\sum_{i = 1}^N x_i \lambda_i^{2k} ##.

So ## x_N = - \sum_{i = 1}^N x_i (\frac{\lambda_i}{\lambda_N})^{2k} ##. Since ##0 \le
(\frac{\lambda_i}{\lambda_N})^{2k} < 1 ## for any ##k##, then ##x_N = 0 ## by taking the limit as ##k## tends to infinity.

Repeating this process, I find ## x_N = ... = x_2 = 0 ##. Now if ##\lambda_1 = 0##, then
##0 = \sum_{i = 1}^N x_i f_{\lambda_i}(x) = x_1 f_{\lambda_1}(x) = x_1 ##. If ##\lambda_1 \neq 0 ##, then ## 0 = \sum_{i = 1}^N x_i \lambda_i^{2k} = x_1 \lambda_1^{2k}##, so ## x_1 = 0## too !

2 - I haven't reached to the conclusion yet.
What I can show is that for any ## x > \max(0,\lambda_N)##, then ## x \sum_{i = 1}^N x_i = \sum_{i = 1}^N x_i \lambda_i ##.
Dividing by ##x ## on both side (legal because x > 0) and taking the limit as ##x## goes to infinity,
## 0 = \sum_{i = 1}^N x_i = \sum_{i = 1}^N x_i \lambda_i ##. I need help for this one

Physics news on Phys.org
Regarding 1, your proof looks fine to me - the idea is quite elegant actually.

For 2, you may try differentiating too - just once. Even though it is not differentiable everywhere, you might want to look at the behaviour of the derivative of the function ## f=\sum x_i f_{\lambda_i} ##.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes geoffrey159
You gave me the idea, thank you !

So I keep one piece of what I found for 2 : ##\sum_{i=1}^N x_i = 0 ##

For any x such that ## \lambda_{N-1} < x < \lambda_N ##, then ## 0 = \sum_{i=1}^N x_i |x-\lambda_i| = x_N (\lambda_N - x) + \sum_{i=1}^{N-1} x_i (x-\lambda_i) ##
If you take the derivative with respect to ##x##, then you get ## x_N = \sum_{i=1}^{N-1} x_i = -x_N ##. So ##x_N = 0##.

Repeat the process for ## \lambda_{k-1} < x < \lambda_k ##

Yep that works - and you don't even actually need to repeat the process : if the family is not free then there exist a combination ## \sum_{i=1}^N x_i f_{\lambda_i}=0 ## with non-zero coefficients, i.e. such that ## \forall i, x_i\neq 0 ##. By showing that ## x_N=0 ## you have already exhibited a contradiction.

Likes geoffrey159
Thank you, that was quality help, it solved my problem in minutes !

However, I don't quite understand your last post: if the family is not free, it seems to me that there exist at least one ##x_i \neq 0## rather than all ##x_i \neq 0##. I don't see how you can skip the looping process ?

No problem, nice to know it was helpful.

If you start with a set of coefficients which are not all zero, first extract the subset of non-zero coefficients : voilà, a combination with only non-zero coefficients !

It might sound like a shady trick, but if you think about it, you'll see its perfectly honest : )

Just some aside information which might or might not be helpful: if you consider distributions, then ##|x|## (just like any continuous function) is differentiable everywhere, so you can simply apply the same method for every one of these.

Also, your method in 1 was nice, and this has actually be generalized: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wronskian

Thank you for the info !

1. What is a free family of continuous mappings?

A free family of continuous mappings is a collection of functions from the real numbers to the real numbers that satisfy certain conditions. In particular, each function in the family must be continuous, and any two functions in the family must be either equal or disjoint (meaning they have no common points).

2. Why are free families of continuous mappings important?

Free families of continuous mappings are important because they provide a powerful tool for studying and analyzing functions. They allow us to better understand the behavior of functions and to make precise statements about their properties.

3. How can a free family of continuous mappings be proved?

A free family of continuous mappings can be proved by showing that the collection of functions satisfies the necessary conditions. This typically involves demonstrating that each function is continuous and that any two functions are either equal or disjoint.

4. Are there any real-world applications of free families of continuous mappings?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of free families of continuous mappings. For example, they are used in the study of topology, which has applications in physics, engineering, and computer science. They are also used in the analysis of real-world data and in the development of algorithms.

5. Is there a limit to the number of functions in a free family of continuous mappings?

No, there is no limit to the number of functions in a free family of continuous mappings. The family can contain any finite or infinite number of functions, as long as they all satisfy the necessary conditions.