Free Modules, Bases and Direct Sums/Products - Bland, Proposition 2.2.3

In summary: Sigma _\Delta x _\alpha r _\alpha$in which $x _\alpha$ are the basis elements, must be finite sums, thus only finitely many $r _\alpha \in R$ are nonzero.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Paul E. Bland's book "Rings and Their Modules ...

Currently I am focused on Section 2.2 Free Modules ... ...

I need some help in order to fully understand the proof of the equivalence of (1) and (3) in Proposition 2.2.3 ...

Proposition 2.2.3 and its proof reads as follows:View attachment 5607Bland omits the proof of the equivalence of (1) and (3) ...

Can someone please help me to get started on a rigorous proof of the equivalence of (1) and (3) ... especially covering the case where \(\displaystyle \Delta\) is an unaccountably infinite set ...

Peter========================================================

To help MHB members reading the above post with Bland's notation I am providing the following notes from Bland's text:View attachment 5608
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/5609

View attachment 5610View attachment 5611
View attachment 5612

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
$\Delta$ may be finite or infinite, whatever kind of infiniteness.

Using prop 2.1.10 of Bland, $M=\bigoplus _\Delta M_\alpha$ with $M _\alpha \leq M$, means that each $x\in M$ can be written uniquely as a finite sum $x=\Sigma _\Delta x _\alpha$, where $x _\alpha \in M$ for all $\alpha \in \Delta$ (i.e. only finitely many $x _\alpha$'s are nonzero).

(3) => (1) Given $\{x _\alpha \} _\Delta \subset M$
$M=\bigoplus _\Delta x _\alpha R$ means that each element $x\in M$ can be written uniquely as a finite sum $x=\Sigma _\Delta x _\alpha r _\alpha$ with $r _\alpha \in R$, where only finitely many $r _\alpha$'s are nonzero. This means that $\{x _\alpha \} _\Delta$ is a basis of $M$ by definition.

(1) => (3) Given $\{x _\alpha \} _\Delta$, with $x _\alpha \in M$, is a basis of $M$. So each element $x\in M$ can be written uniquely as a finite sum $x=\Sigma _\Delta x _\alpha r _\alpha$ with $r _\alpha \in R$, where only finitely many $r _\alpha$'s are nonzero. This means that $M=\bigoplus _\Delta x _\alpha R$ by prop 2.1.10.

steenis said:
$\Delta$ may be finite or infinite, whatever kind of infiniteness.

Using prop 2.1.10 of Bland, $M=\bigoplus _\Delta M_\alpha$ with $M _\alpha \leq M$, means that each $x\in M$ can be written uniquely as a finite sum $x=\Sigma _\Delta x _\alpha$, where $x _\alpha \in M$ for all $\alpha \in \Delta$ (i.e. only finitely many $x _\alpha$'s are nonzero).

(3) => (1) Given $\{x _\alpha \} _\Delta \subset M$
$M=\bigoplus _\Delta x _\alpha R$ means that each element $x\in M$ can be written uniquely as a finite sum $x=\Sigma _\Delta x _\alpha r _\alpha$ with $r _\alpha \in R$, where only finitely many $r _\alpha$'s are nonzero. This means that $\{x _\alpha \} _\Delta$ is a basis of $M$ by definition.

(1) => (3) Given $\{x _\alpha \} _\Delta$, with $x _\alpha \in M$, is a basis of $M$. So each element $x\in M$ can be written uniquely as a finite sum $x=\Sigma _\Delta x _\alpha r _\alpha$ with $r _\alpha \in R$, where only finitely many $r _\alpha$'s are nonzero. This means that $M=\bigoplus _\Delta x _\alpha R$ by prop 2.1.10.

Hi Steenis,

Just reworking Section 2.2 of Bland ... and in particular Proposition 2.2.3 ...

In the above post you write:

"... ... (3) => (1) Given $\{x _\alpha \} _\Delta \subset M$
$M=\bigoplus _\Delta x _\alpha R$ means that each element $x\in M$ can be written uniquely as a finite sum $x=\Sigma _\Delta x _\alpha r _\alpha$ with $r _\alpha \in R$, where only finitely many $r _\alpha$'s are nonzero. This means that $\{x _\alpha \} _\Delta$ is a basis of $M$ by definition. ... ... "This argument seems to imply that the basis $\{x _\alpha \} _\Delta$ could well be infinite ... is that right?Hope you can help ...

Peter

Last edited:
Peter said:
Hi Steenis,

Just reworking Section 2.2 of Bland ... and in particular Proposition 2.2.3 ...

In the above post you write:

"... ... (3) => (1) Given $\{x _\alpha \} _\Delta \subset M$
$M=\bigoplus _\Delta x _\alpha R$ means that each element $x\in M$ can be written uniquely as a finite sum $x=\Sigma _\Delta x _\alpha r _\alpha$ with $r _\alpha \in R$, where only finitely many $r _\alpha$'s are nonzero. This means that $\{x _\alpha \} _\Delta$ is a basis of $M$ by definition. ... ... "This argument seems to imply that the basis $\{x _\alpha \} _\Delta$ could well be infinite ... is that right?Hope you can help ...

Peter

My apologies steenis ... I did not read your previous post carefully enough ... and somehow (I don't quite know how ? ) missed your statement :

"... ... $\Delta$ may be finite or infinite, whatever kind of infiniteness. ... ... "

... careless of me ... sorry ...

But thanks again for your post ... your posts are enabling me to understand Bland's excellent book ...

Peter

No, I don't mind.

The basis may be infinite, but remember, the linear combinations $x=\Sigma _\Delta x _\alpha r _\alpha$
in which $x _\alpha$ are the basis elements, must be finite sums, thus only finitely many $r _\alpha \in R$ are nonzero.

steenis said:
No, I don't mind.

The basis may be infinite, but remember, the linear combinations $x=\Sigma _\Delta x _\alpha r _\alpha$
in which $x _\alpha$ are the basis elements, must be finite sums, thus only finitely many $r _\alpha \in R$ are nonzero.
THanks for your generous help, steenis...

Peter

1. What is a free module?

A free module is a module over a commutative ring in which every element can be written uniquely as a linear combination of a set of basis elements.

2. What is a basis of a free module?

A basis of a free module is a set of elements that can be used to generate all other elements in the module through linear combinations. In other words, every element in the module can be expressed as a unique linear combination of the basis elements.

3. How do you determine if a module is free?

A module is free if there exists a basis of the module. This can be determined by checking if every element in the module can be written as a unique linear combination of a set of elements. If so, the module is free.

4. What is a direct sum/product of modules?

A direct sum/product of modules is a new module that is formed by combining two or more modules together. This can be done by taking the Cartesian product of the underlying sets of the modules and defining addition and scalar multiplication operations accordingly.

5. How do you show that a direct sum/product of modules is free?

In order to show that a direct sum/product of modules is free, we need to show that it has a basis. This can be done by constructing a set of elements that generate the entire direct sum/product and showing that they are linearly independent. If the set of elements satisfies both conditions, then it is a basis and the direct sum/product is free.