Free Will and Omnipotence: Can They Coexist?

• Thread starter DrWatson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Free will
In summary, this conversation is discussing how it is possible for an omnipotent being to know the future without any doubt, which would violate the concept of free will.
Interesting insights OOO...

Physics news on Phys.org
NASA Vix said:
Interesting insights OOO...

Yes there's quite a lot of insights one can gain from a contradiction...:biggrin:

DrWatson said:
If there is an omnipotent god, how can we have free will? An omnipotent being would know the future, therefore the future would be set down, and we could not make decisions for ourselves.

Knowing the future assumes the future is set down.
The future set down does not assume we do not impact the decisions by ourself.

Similarly for a human in the ''Now":
Knowing the past assumes the past is set down.
The past is set down does not assume that the decisions of the selves have not contributed to it.

I am weak in apologetics.

Ominipotent possibly relates not to All abstract matters but to real things, events and real relations, which cannot be exactly presented by their equivalents in terms of logics.

Correct me if I am wrong or contradict myself.

Quasarus said:
Knowing the future assumes the future is set down.
The future set down does not assume we do not impact the decisions by ourself.

Similarly for a human in the ''Now":
Knowing the past assumes the past is set down.
The past is set down does not assume that the decisions of the selves have not contributed to it.

That doesn't sound convincing. Let's leave the past aside for the moment. If you know the future already then there is no decision to make about it. Using the word decision implies that the future can still be either this way or that way, but then it is not known.

DrWatson said:
If there is an omnipotent god, how can we have free will? An omnipotent being would know the future, therefore the future would be set down, and we could not make decisions for ourselves.

Your question presupposes there is such a thing as future. The question of time flowing remains open.

Are you suggesting thaty time merely is and always will be now, with the future being now and the past now at the same, excuse me, time?I like that.

OOO said:
That doesn't sound convincing. Let's leave the past aside for the moment. If you know the future already then there is no decision to make about it. Using the word decision implies that the future can still be either this way or that way, but then it is not known.

We CAN'T 'leave the past aside, because what now seems the future will become the past.

I agree with you. If you know the future then there is no decision to make about it.

On the other side, if you don't know the future that does not entail that the future does not exist. It exists the similar way the past does. And your free will (if there is one) have taken part in it's creation already, if one look's upon it from the future.

Last edited:
madphysics said:
Are you suggesting thaty time merely is and always will be now, with the future being now and the past now at the same, excuse me, time?

I like that.

Yes, I think that may well be true. Certainly Physics leaves that door open for now and that fits with my personal theology.